View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 529 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 294294795195275285295305315395796291029 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,935 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post

I was just jokin' about you TWS and Sean........playing Devi'ls Advocate....
    Huh??

Anyway I'm here in town if you want to play hands any. I can still pull some PM techniques off, but they're ugly for PM with CLF driving them.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

That's just it, I only know other college/grad school students, and they're all broke.

I figured I do it if I could when it was convenient. It's really not, so I'm not going to fret it. But I'll see if I can find a "backdoor" for converting the DVD-R into an MPEG......anyone know of some free Ripping software....legal of course.....but the "Free" part of that statement is really more important than the "legal" part, if you catch my drift. I figured it'd be EZ, b/c people are always ripping movies nowadays, or putting them on hard drives.

I have a DVD, now I need MPEG.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Huh??

Anyway I'm here in town if you want to play hands any. I can still pull some PM techniques off, but they're ugly for PM with CLF driving them.
    To be honest with you, I was about to visit you guys a while back, but went off to capoeira instead, b/c of the greater interest. My schedule's crazy w/ 2 jobs, grad school, a girlfriend, and SD.......but when I get the chance and fancy hits me, I might still ask you for an intro, or something.....LOL.....not that I'm looking to switch schools. But I love getting other perspectives on MA.

And I wouldn't ask for your SD Mantis expertise when I have a school full of dude's doing it, if you catch my drift.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 10-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    This is 2007. Everyone here knows someone with a decent camera. It is not rocket science.
    You gotta know how to rip a home dVD, right? Hopefully?

You gotta know how to rip a home dVD, right? Hopefully?
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/389926...s_no_recoding/

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Here's what wing lam has to say about chinese sai (with video):

http://www.wle.com/products/VHG32D.html
    Whats funny about wing lams sai form is that it looks almost exactly like his hung gar double butterfly form . I think someone's full of sh#t, lol...
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

To be honest with you, I was about to visit you guys a while back, but went off to capoeira instead, b/c of the greater interest. My schedule's crazy w/ 2 jobs, grad school, a girlfriend, and SD.......but when I get the chance and fancy hits me, I might still ask you for an intro, or something.....LOL.....not that I'm looking to switch schools. But I love getting other perspectives on MA.

And I wouldn't ask for your SD Mantis expertise when I have a school full of dude's doing it, if you catch my drift.
    Oh... and I wasn't at anytime talking SD Mantis...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Oh... and I wasn't at anytime talking SD Mantis...
    You sly dog.......

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    has anyone compared sd's mantis with other styles of mantis? If so how does sd's mantis match up, and what style does it most closely resemble?
    I would love to see this myself. I recently started SD (only school in my area, beside TKD) and I'm very interested in their mantis.

Hello, my fellow SD'ers......

This look familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCd5PNB2zY

Hello, my fellow SD'ers......

This look familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCd5PNB2zY
    The dude's pretty good. I can see some similar moves and techniques from our short form and from the 1st brown form "connecting fist".
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Jeet Kuen...

Wookie... you can see that one in your area @ the Eagle Claw school.

It's a pretty basic non-descript long fist set.

I taught the SD Mantis I trained in Tang Lang 10 years prior to SD they are similar they are not Karate like they are not mechanical when done right. Some dont. As far as the sai it is chinese in origin and started as a 2 point spear I think in japan it is called a Jitte not sure. but the Chinese would tie it to a stick or pole arm later it was used as a rice straw pitch fork in Okinawa and prob the same in China. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

LOL......I can't get my computer to read that DVD I made....friggin' piece of crap.....so much for videos......I'm not messing with this crap anymore....LOL.....

I'll leave it to the richer bloods.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    The dude's pretty good. I can see some similar moves and techniques from our short form and from the 1st brown form "connecting fist".

The way I heard it, here in ATL they got a Chinese speaking student to translate the chinese characters of our forms, rather than just the pinyin stuff we see spread across SD websites. Jie Quan is the name we have for our 2nd China Hand posted on our boards and websites.

I see lots of similarities between this "Jeet Kuen" as Sean calls it, and both the china hands. The arm circling really is only at the beginning and ends of the forms, but it's spread throughout this guy's form. But there's always that back bird beak and front side-hand, lots of sweeps, all of those punch/kick combos, the spinning kicks.....

Although, I found a clip of Lian Wu Zhang online, but it had fewer trademarks in common with ours. Seems like ours has a dash of theirs, and a healthy portion of techniques more in common with Jie Quan.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 10-08-2007 at 04:06 PM.