Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Where would you stick the Pole?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    This may explain why you know of the Poles importance Drew, as Lok Yiu was a great Master and one of Lee Shings first teachers.
    Interesting... Yes Lok Yiu was known for his LDB, pitty he was such a private person didnt always let things go as easy as others...you had to be close and he had to like you. Id love to Lee Shings Pole form - see how similar things are.......

Everything you 'touch' passes into your hands, so it's a shame to see you drop the stick in favour of the knives, as to me they are a Yum Yeurng (Yin Yang) and need equal attention IMHO...
    Its not that i wanted to drop it, but more because my Sifu has high, unchanging standards. By the time i reached his level of satisfaction in the arrow horse and was making the tip of the kwan, shake in a circle the size of a large grapefruit in Dan Kwan drills, he was a bit to old to stick the pole with me....

He's old school - had to learn the energy first... ahhhhhh

Hes not taught anyone else in our class (im the oldest anyway, 27) that i could stick with.

So he began teaching me the BJD. Bit bummed really, the LDB is much harder but i always wanted to learn it from my Sifu cause he showed me some fairly sick 5hit 10 odd years ago when i started and i wanted to get that skill (or close to it) from him....

Anyway im happy with the BJD and i love the functionality, sparring / drills we do with them.....
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Lee Shing Pole Form

[QUOTE=Liddel;805996]Interesting... Yes Lok Yiu was known for his LDB, pitty he was such a private person didnt always let things go as easy as others...you had to be close and he had to like you. Id love to Lee Shings Pole form - see how similar things are.......QUOTE]

Like Lok Yiu, Lee Shing was a very humble and private person, and never taught for money. It was Lee Shings first generations of students who possibly brought Wing Chun into the open in the UK and they're credited for teaching the first westerners here.

Although this isn't exactly how I got shown by my Sifu, Uncle Austins Pole Form is still a great homage to Lee Shing, as its very precise (especially his breathing). Have a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExClVQ7CdVs

Although this isn't exactly how I got shown by my Sifu, Uncle Austins Pole Form is still a great homage to Lee Shing, as its very precise (especially his breathing). Have a look and let me know what you think.
    Interesting - its very different indeed to Lok Yiu.

The biggest difference i can see is in Holding the pole.

The hands for me are closer together, this is actually the first part of our form.
    Holding the pole out with the lead hand and measuring the end of the pole back to just past your elbow, then grasping the end with your rear 'driving hand' and raising the pole from the ground.... its our standard means of measure for correct grip of the pole.

Having the right grip for us means we make sure the elbows are not flying away from the body and this has the purpose of enabling the hinge joint in the elbow as a place to derive energy from, by means of bending and straightening the elbow, thus sending power through the pole making the tip shake with certain actions.

So because sifu Austin Goh has a wider grip on the pole id say at a glance we have different power generation.

Interesting to see that he also changes his grip to the center of the pole using it more like a staff at one point...

Running out of time got to go.....

DREW

Thats not VT

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

The Half Pole uncovered!

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Interesting - its very different indeed to Lok Yiu.

Interesting to see that he also changes his grip to the center of the pole using it more like a staff at one point...
    DREW
    You can see the difference??!! This is what we refer to as the 'Half Pole'...

As an exchange, I would be very interested to see the Lok Yiu Gwun. Have you a link to a clip?

As an exchange, I would be very interested to see the Lok Yiu Gwun. Have you a link to a clip?
    Sorry mate ive never put anything on film as yet - i dont have the ability to share via the web anyway....i use a computer at work for posting

If you have ever come across a vid put out agaes back from WSL called 'The science of infighting' it has WSL showing a little taste of the LDB towards the end - which is about 95% the same as what i have been taught....

I looked for it on youtube but cant find it - i know its out there somewhere, maybe someone else has a link to it for you ??? anyone ???

But.....

Here is the basic sticking drill to get someone started into application -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgT_5iOIVFA

Not much but at least its something.

DREW

Thats not VT

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Here is the basic sticking drill to get someone started into application -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgT_5iOIVFA

Not much but at least its something.

DREW
    One of my favourites on Youtube (and I aint just saying that!). True skill and understanding of the nature of 'Chi Gwan' at its introductory level. I've heard of Sifu Bayer as I work with a Wong Shun Leung student (taught by Clive Potter).

I too am awaiting a WSL version to be posted as I know a few guys who trained this in the UK, including my workmate. Have you any view on this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRf0ZNya0pg

Have you any view on this clip?
    I like the clip - it very similar to how i used to train the basics - only difference for me is when lowering into the arrow horse im putting out the pole - timing is the same lending your body force into the thrust.

Power is differnt - ive bruised the inside of my arm by the elbow many times cause of this...also personally my hands are a tad bit closer together...

Good depth on the horse by that guy..nice.

But hey - my skill is quite low in the pole now after giving it up for the BJD.
    Last edited by Liddel; 10-26-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Thats not VT

Lone Tiger 108

While Lee Sing may have got to the UK first, Paul Lam was not too far behind. They were not particularly friends. Paul Lam-Hakka background- had learned from Leung Shun(sp?)

joy chaudhuri

Vajramusti

Didn't Alan Lamb also train with Paul Lam for a while?

I haven't really heard anything about Paul Lam, has he got any website? I know of another 'Paul' (Pang), but this can't be the same guy can it?? Didn't Paul Lam also have a student in Canada??

All interesting to me, so I hope you'll share some info Vajramusti...

Lone Tiger re Paul Lam

Yes Alan Lamb learned from him as well besides learning from Lee Sing, Joseph Chemg and Koo Dang(in Hong Kong).
    Lam apparently had some polio as a kid. he could still stand and move but compensated for his legs with powerful hands and good timing..
    I gather he did have a student in Canada. He was in the business of supplying chicken to Chinese restaurants in UK and the continent as well...but had a business reversal. Like some Hakkas he faced some snobbery. He quit teaching publicly. He had an Indian student in the UK with whom I corresponded briefly. At the moment I cant recall his name. The student had a wrestling background as well.

joy chaudhuri

sorry for the typos

Correction...Joseph Cheng, Koo Sang.