Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Judo

Hybrid View

Nice NYT article

From Rio’s Slums, a Judo Champion Is Mining Olympic Gold
    By JOHN BRANCHJAN. 7, 2016

Rafaela Silva tossing a fellow judoka. No sport has produced more Brazilian Olympic medalists than judo, and Silva, 23, is expected to join them. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

RIO DE JANEIRO — On a narrow, steep street about five miles from where the Olympic judo competition will take place in August, near a pile of unused bricks alongside Rua Agostinho Gama, 31 concrete steps hugged the outside of a building, rose and turned out of sight.

The stairs had no railing, and rebar stuck out several feet in a few places. Like so much of this dichotomous city, away from the beaches and into the hills and into the favelas, things seemed both under construction and crumbling.

A rooster in a cage sat at the landing at the top, and through the door where Rafaela Silva grew up and her family still lives, she shared a chair with her older sister, Raquel.

Rafaela Silva with her older sister, Raquel, outside their childhood home in Cidade de Deus, Rio de Janeiro’s most famously violent favela. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times
    Silva, 23, is expected to add another.

“The only medal I don’t have is an Olympic medal,” she said. “To have a chance to win one in front of my family and friends is priceless.”

The floor of the home was cluttered with laundry — mostly judogis, the heavy canvas judo uniforms — and the walls were covered in judo awards. Raquel Silva, 26, is an international judo champion on Brazil’s national team, too, but she fell short of qualifying for the Olympics.

Down on the street, Rafaela and Raquel’s mother, Zenilda, stood in her small storefront, where she sells propane and an assortment of sundries, like soap and rice. Her daughters built strength by carrying propane tanks on their backs.

She came upstairs carrying food for the guests — a pair of poundcakes, loaves of bread and bottles of soda — and apologized for not having homemade treats. Luiz Carlos, her husband and the sisters’ father, was away at his job as a mover, but he would have baked a cake had the family known that company was coming, she said.

When the girls were in grade school, the family escaped neighboring Cidade de Deus (City of God), Rio’s most famously violent favela, to find a safer place. There is less fear of persistent danger here, just a mile away, mostly because the street dead-ends at the top of the hill. Thieves, gunslingers and drug dealers have only one escape route, so they go elsewhere.

Rafaela and Raquel Silva in the home where they grew up and their family still lives. Their coach thought both of them could reach the national team as teenagers. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

The girls still found trouble, some of their own making.

“Here, if you don’t hit someone, you will be hit by someone,” Raquel said. “It’s survival.”

Raquel was once expelled for fighting in school. Rafaela frequently fought the neighborhood boys in the street. Three years apart, they sometimes attended different schools.

“We would meet to walk home together, and I would come around the corner, and Rafaela was already in a fight,” Raquel said.

Their parents helped steer the girls through the temptations. A nearby judo gym was one way. It provided structure and diversion.

“Judo has rules,” Raquel Silva said, as Rafaela nodded in agreement. “The street doesn’t.”

Geraldo Bernardes is a former coach of Brazil’s national team. More than a decade ago, his pupils included the Silva sisters. He immediately saw potential in them. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

The inside of Rafaela Silva’s right biceps, hidden under her judogi during competitions, is tattooed with the Olympic rings and a note, in Portuguese: “God knows how much I’ve suffered and what I’ve done to get here.”

Coach Saw Potential

A bit earlier and a few miles away, Silva’s longtime coach, Geraldo Bernardes, described her journey from the slums to the Olympics. Bernardes, with silvery hair and blue eyes, is a former coach of Brazil’s national team. One former pupil is Flávio Canto, a two-time Olympian who won a bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Games and is now a celebrity in Brazil.

In 2003, Canto started Instituto Reação (Reaction Institute), a judo school for all ages and abilities, in Rocinha, Rio’s largest favela. He joined forces with Bernardes, who had his own gyms, including one in Cidade de Deus. They have expanded Instituto Reação into a program with five gyms and 1,250 athletes, including 130 in its “Olympic” program, which Bernardes oversees. (Among the benefactors are the American Ronda Rousey, a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist better known for her dominance of mixed martial arts, who recently donated money to the institute.)

More than a decade ago, Bernardes’s pupils included the young, feisty Silva sisters. He immediately saw potential in them.

“Rafaela was always really aggressive, but in a way that I could direct her in a way that was good for the sport,” he said at Estacio University, where he recently moved his gym to a large open-air pavilion with a metal roof and a padded floor. “She had a lot of energy and a lot of aggressiveness. I saw that her energy could be directed to the sport.”

Silva’s gym is a large open-air pavilion with a metal roof and a padded floor. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

He thought both of them could reach the national team as teenagers. They did. But Raquel became pregnant when she was 15, knocking her out of training for a couple of prime years. (Her daughter, now 10, was on the family’s couch during a recent visit.) Rafaela caught up to her sister and ultimately passed her.

“She could have been better than Rafaela,” Bernardes said. “But she also had knee surgery and was really delayed. Rafaela overcame her.”

Vital Characteristics

Bernardes said that Rafaela Silva, who competes at the 57-kilogram weight class (about 126 pounds), had judo’s vital characteristics: coordination, balance, a long wingspan and a capacity to learn quickly. She was also left-handed, an advantage in judo the way it can be in other combat sports.

But she also had hunger, he said, even in a literal sense. She felt sick during her first training session with him, he recalled, because she had not eaten breakfast.

“Judo requires from the athlete a lot of sacrifice,” Bernardes said. “But in a poor community, they are used to sacrifice. They see a lot of violence; they may not have food. I could see when she was very young that she was aggressive. And because of where she is from, she wanted something better.”

Bernardes told the girls that he would not give them belt exams if they got into trouble at school or on the streets — enough of an incentive to keep them out of most trouble. He helped pay for the girls’ training, including travel to tournaments that the family could not afford.

“I did it at first because I liked it,” Raquel Silva said. “But Geraldo showed us another world. It was a job. It was a profession. That planted a seed.”

Rafaela did not take it as seriously. She still does not like to train. But she earned her black belt at 16 and became a junior world champion.

“Everything changed in 2008 at the world junior championship in Thailand,” she said. “That’s when I realized that this is what I want to do. All my life before then, all my fights were easy. They would last 10 seconds. And I could spend the rest of my time playing. But after the world championships, I realized things could be different.”

At 19, she won silver at the world championships. At 21, she won gold. But the tournament that haunts her was in between, at the 2012 London Olympics.

Then, as now, she was considered a serious medal contender. But Silva was disqualified during a preliminary match for an illegal hold, a technicality related to a recent rule change.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

continued from previous

The inside of Rafaela Silva’s right biceps is tattooed with the Olympic rings and a note, in Portuguese: “God knows how much I’ve suffered and what I’ve done to get here.” Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

“The opponent was a girl from Hungary who I had beaten easily before,” Silva said. “I don’t know if I thought that I should just do this quickly, but the judge gave me one point, then changed it and disqualified me.”

The loss still burns.

“I trained four years for the Olympics, and now in a minute they were gone,” she said.

The immediate aftermath was worse. Some Brazilians on social media mocked her and called her racial epithets, one saying that “the place of a monkey is in a cage.” Silva could not resist responding, and did so with vitriolic name-calling of her own. The Twitter war attracted so much attention that the Brazil Olympic Committee stepped in to admonish the attacks, and judo officials persuaded Silva to stop replying to bigoted critics.

Nearly four years later, she does not regret her actions.

“Not at all,” she said.

Heartbreak in London

The episode nearly made her quit. She had overcome many obstacles to become one of the world’s best, but the closest she came to quitting was after the London Games, Bernardes said.

“She never showed that she would give up on the sport until 2012, when she was disqualified at the Olympics,” he said. “There were a lot of racist comments on social media. Nasty ones. And she answered some of them, fighting in social media, and got really angry. Then she got scared of going out on the streets and being harassed. I was afraid she would give up on the sport.”

Silva took a few months off. Her family worried for her.

“Rafaela got depressed,” Raquel Silva said. “She watched television all day and cried alone in front of the TV. Our mother cooked her favorite things to cheer her up, but that didn’t work.”

Bernardes wanted Rafaela Silva to come to the institute, to resume training and rebuild the fire. When she finally came, she happened upon a presentation by a sports psychologist. Intrigued and inspired, Silva resumed her physical training and added mental training, too. The next spring, her focus back and her frustration funneled, she became world champion.

And now the Olympics have come again, this time to her, just a few miles from home. Bernardes will coach her at the institute. Her sister, a weight class below, will spar with her. Her parents are hoping to get tickets to her matches. A nation will watch, expecting a result to celebrate.

And a neighborhood will cheer her on, to see if a young woman from the crumbling, chaotic streets in the hills can construct one of the unlikeliest Olympic stories for the home team.

Helena Rebello contributed reporting.
    I'm looking forward to watching the Judo competition at the Rio Olympics. That and the Beach Volleyball, which I usually disdain, but think will be extraordinary in Rio.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017

All Japan Judo Federation drops requirement that women’s black belts have white stripe
    Casey Baseel 18 hours ago

Policy shift aligns Japan with international standard.

Just as a judo match involves two competitors, there are two governing bodies for the sport. The International Judo Federation, based in Switzerland, is the controlling body for competitions in the global judo community, while Japan’s All Japan Judo Federation holds dominion over all things judo in the martial art’s native nation.

The two organizations each lay out their own sets of rules on how contests are to be carried out and decided, with even uniform regulations for judoka (judo practitioners) differing between the two. In 1999, for example, the International Judo Federation put an end to the practice of female judoka having to wear black belts with a white stripe running lengthwise along the fabric, as opposed to the pure-black belts used by male competitors, on the grounds that the discrepancy was discriminatory.

However, the All Japan Judo Federation decided to stick with the established norm and continued with the use of the white-striped black belt, which can be seen in the above photo.

On March 13, though, the All Japan Judo Federation’s board of directors announced that it would be abolishing the use of the white-striped belts, and that once the change goes into effect, male and female judoka alike will be using the entirely black belts.

No official reason has been given for the organization’s change in stance. A likely explanation, though, is the continued success of the Japanese women’s Olympic judo team, whose medal count since the 1992 Games (when women’s judo became a medal event) currently sits at 32, two better than the 30 medals claimed by Japanese male judoka in that time frame. Women’s athletics and athletes have also been receiving increasingly prominent media coverage in Japan since the turn of the millennium, and in light of such developments, it seems the All Japan Judo Federation took a moment to reexamine why it had two sets of uniform regulations, and decided that the discrepancy was a relic of a bygone era.

Source: Yahoo! News Japan/Asahi Shimbun Digital via Hachima Kiko
    I didn't even know this was a thing and Judo was my first martial art. Plus MAM sells solid black belts, belts with white stripes, and belts with colored stripes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great. Based on the photo. Now it will be hard to tell who is a man and who is a women. Liberals defeated the Kodokan. Holy-----.

I hate it when politics interferes with athletics...

...but such is part of the intrinsic drama of international games...

NINE MONTHS BEFORE TOKYO OLYMPICS
    Iran barred indefinitely from world judo over refusal to face Israelis
    Official suspension handed down by International Judo Federation comes after Iranian judoka said he was ordered to throw match to avoid facing Israeli competitor
    By AFP and TOI STAFF
    22 October 2019, 7:14 pm 3

Iran's judoka Saeid Mollaei reacts after losing to Belgium's Matthias Casse in the semifinal fight in the men's under-81 kilogram category during the 2019 Judo World Championships in Tokyo on August 28, 2019. (Charly Triballeau/AFP)

The International Judo Federation (IJF) said Tuesday it had banned Iran from competition indefinitely over the country’s refusal to face Israeli competitors.
    The federation issued a provisional ban last month while investigating a report that Iran had ordered a judoka to lose deliberately at the world championships to avoid facing Israeli competitor Sagi Muki in the subsequent round.

“Following the events, which occurred during the last World Judo Championships Tokyo 2019, the final suspension of the Iran Judo Federation from all competitions… has been pronounced,” the IJF said in a statement.

The IJF said the suspension will remain in place until the Iran Judo Federation “gives strong guarantees and proves that they will respect the IJF Statutes and accept that their athletes fight against Israeli athletes.”

Iranian fighter Saeid Mollaei, defending his title at the Tokyo World Championships in August, had said he was ordered to throw his semifinal rather than risk facing an Israeli in the final of the under 81kg class.

The Iranian, 27, lost the semifinal and then went on to lose his third-place fight.

In this photo taken Sept. 12, 2019, Iranian judoka Saeid Mollaei poses for a portrait photo at an undisclosed southern city of Germany. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

Mollaei said he had been instructed to withdraw from the competition by the presidents of the Iran Judo Federation and the Iran Olympic committee.

Rejecting the charges, the Iranian federation denied that pressure had been applied to force Mollaei to withdraw from the championships.

However the IJF disciplinary commission examining the case found that Iran’s actions “constitute a serious breach and gross violation of the Statutes of the IJF, its legitimate interests, its principles and objectives.”

Judo is one of Iran’s sporting strong points and the ban comes as a blow just nine months ahead of the Tokyo Olympics.

Tehran is expected to appeal against the IJF decision at the Swiss-based Court for Arbitration of Sport. They have 21 days to do so.

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Miri Regev lauded the IJF’s ban, but said in a statement that she regretted “the heavy price Iranian athletes will have to pay because of their regime’s decisions.”

The IJF said Mollaei had been pressured to lose by Iranian deputy sports minister Davar Zani. Mollaei was also reportedly pressured to bow out by Iranian Olympic Committee president Reza Salehi Amiri, who told him minutes before his semifinal match that Iranian security services were at his parents’ house in Tehran.

Belgium’s Matthias Casse (in blue) celebrates winning the semifinal fight against Iran’s Saeid Mollaei in the men’s under-81 kilogram category during the 2019 Judo World Championships in Tokyo on August 28, 2019. (Charly Triballeau/AFP)

The IJF said an official from the Iranian embassy in Tokyo pretending to be a coach gained access to a restricted area to coerce the 27-year-old Tehran native to lose the match as he warmed up on the sidelines.

Mollaei fled to Berlin after the championships, where he was hoping to secure a place at the 2020 Olympic games.

Iran does not recognize Israel as a country, and Iranian sports teams have for several decades had a policy of not competing against Israelis. Iranian passports remind holders in bold red they are “not entitled to travel to occupied Palestine.”

One of the most famous cases was that of Arash Miresmaeili, a two-time judo world champion who showed up overweight for his bout against an Israeli at the Olympics in Athens in 2004 and was disqualified.

He was praised by Iran’s then-president Mohammad Khatami and the ultraconservative media and eventually made his way to become the current chief of Iran’s judo federation’s chief.

Miresmaeili told Iranian media at the time he would refuse to fight an Israeli as a gesture of support for Palestine.

According to him, the current ban on the federation is “outside the usual procedure” as the disciplinary committee reviewing the case should have temporarily suspended Iran until reviews were complete and Iran had time to present its defense.

Sagi Muki of Israel, top, competes against Matthias Casse of Belgium during a men’s under-81 kilogram final of the World Judo Championships in Tokyo, Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara)
    THREADS
    Judo
    2020 Tokyo Olympics
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yosh Uchida Sensei

I earned my BS at SJSU but never trained with their Judo team (I was on the SJSU fencing team). However, I did work for Uchida Sensei as a driver for Laboratory Services, which was a medical sample testing lab. I met with him a few times under that capacity, but not much. The longest meeting was my entrance interview. He liked that Judo had been my first martial art and invited me to train with the team, but respected that I was already dedicated to fencing. He struck me as very cordial, a true gentleman, and a decent boss.

Uchida Legacy Gala

Celebrating Yosh's 100th Birthday

Benefiting San Jose State University Judo

The Uchida Family
    Ed Cerna – Elan Multifamily Investments
    Robert G. Hisaoka
    present

March 21, 2020

Fairmont San Jose
    170 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113

Reception 6pm
    Dinner 7pm

Mike Inouye
    NBC BayArea
    Master of CeremoniesRobert Handa

NBC BayArea
    “Coach” Conversations with Yosh

San Jose Taiko
    Steve Nakano Trio

Semi-formal

For tickets and sponsorship information, click the button below:

Tickets & Sponsorship
    Deadline to purchase tickets is March 6, 2020.

SPONSORS
    JUDON – Presenting Sponsors
    The Uchida Family 
    Eduardo Cerna – Elan Multifamily Investments
    Robert G. Hisaoka 
    SANDON – Sponsors
    Art Evans
    Kai Orthodontics / Miraido Village Apartments 

SANDON – Sponsors
    Joyce Iwasaki
    Eugene Kushnir / Hipeq
    John and Donna Mori
    Michiyasu Sengoku / Sangikyo Corp
    San Jose Sports Authority

MEDIA Sponsors
    NBC BayArea
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Kano Yukimitsu

Grandson of the Founder of Judo passed away
    By Nicolas Messner on 09. Mar 2020

It is with deep sorrow we inform you that Honorary President of the Kodokan Judo Institute and All Japan Judo Federation (AJJF), KANO Yukimitsu, passed away on 8th March 2020 at a hospital in Tokyo due to pneumonia. He was 87. Kano Yukimitsu was much more than his titles; he was the grandson of Kano Jigoro, the founder of judo.

Who does not know that name, Kano, especially in the judo world? Without Master Jigoro Kano, the sport simply would not exist. In 1882 he created judo, when he was only 22 years old. 135 years later, judo became a major Olympic sport and Paralympic sport and an educational tool for the youth of the world. While constantly evolving, it has remained committed to the values that Kano has defined.

During the summer of 2017, the International Judo Federation had the privilege of meeting Kano Yukimitsu. In that exclusive interview he recalled memories of his grandfather and explained his own vision of judo, as Mr. Kano Yukimitsu has also played an important role in judo in Japan as well as in the rest of the world.

Mr. Kano explained that when he said in front of his grandfather that he wanted to find a role model and become like that person later, the founder of judo replied: “You should not try to be like somebody else. You are who you are.“ This is a perfect illustration of how judo can help to build better citizens, to grow a better society. Kano Jigoro was not only teaching the theory, he made sure all could understand the fundamentals and he wanted his students to put his teachings into practice in society.

The whole judo family and the IJF express their deepest condolences to Mr. Kano's family, relatives and friends, to the Kodokan Institute and to the All Japan Judo Federation. Only Mr. Kano's close relatives and Kodokan employees will attend his funeral services with KANO Akashi, his eldest daughter, serving as the chief mourner. Later, a joint funeral will be held by the Kodokan and AJJF. Words of condolence should be addressed to intl@kodokan.org (Kodokan Judo Institute).

Kano Yukimitsu profil

April 1980 – March 2009: Fourth President of Kodokan, Second President of AJJF

September 1980 – October 1995: President of Judo Union of Asia

April 2009 -: Honorary President of Kodokan and AJJF
    Condolences to all judoka. Judo was my first martial art and I still hold its lessons in high regard.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Putin & Judo

February 27, 2022
    1:57 AM PST
    Last Updated 3 days ago
    Putin suspended as honorary president of International Judo Federation

Reuters

1 minute read

Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks about authorising a special military operation in Ukraine's Donbass region during a special televised address on Russian state TV, in Moscow, Russia, February 24, 2022, in this still image taken from video. Russian Pool/via REUTERS TV

Feb 27 (Reuters) - Russian president Vladimir Putin has been suspended as honorary president of the International Judo Federation (IJF), the sport's governing body announced on Sunday, because of his invasion of Ukraine.

Russia's invasion by land, air and sea on Thursday followed a declaration of war by Putin.

A judo blackbelt, the 69-year-old is a keen practitioner of the discipline and has co-authored a book titled "Judo: History, Theory, Practice".

"In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation," the IJF said in a statement.

The IJF on Friday said it had cancelled a May 20-22 event in Russia.

"The International Judo Federation announces with regret the cancellation of the 2022 Grand Slam in Kazan, Russia," IJF President Marius Vizer said.

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Tom Hogue
    threads
    Judo
    Ukraine
    Martial-Arts-Politicians
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Judo

I'm going to start Judo soon (maybe this week). I'm excited, I had some limited shuai jiao before, but I feel Judo will contribute well to what I've been doing lately (submission wrestling).

here's a link to the place, may look like a mcdojo but my one friend seems to think its rather good

kimsjudotkd.com
    Last edited by bodhitree; 08-29-2006 at 05:12 AM.
    Bless you

Judo anyone?

Anyone on here practice Judo in the past or present?
    Last edited by naja; 10-15-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

I'm a San Kyu
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Shodan, with a side order of fries
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    I'm a San Kyu

What are you thanking him for? He just asked a question!

I watched a judo class tonight, and am thinking of joining. Seems allot different than my kung fu classes though, and I'm a little hesitant. Very informal, and in a fitness center where everyone and their brother apparently goes to. Very strange feeling when you're used to practicing in a more private setting.

Do you guys think that cross training in judo has helped you as a martial artist?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    I watched a judo class tonight, and am thinking of joining. Seems allot different than my kung fu classes though, and I'm a little hesitant. Very informal, and in a fitness center where everyone and their brother apparently goes to. Very strange feeling when you're used to practicing in a more private setting.

Do you guys think that cross training in judo has helped you as a martial artist?
    Judo will teach you quite a bit about what goes on when someone grabs you, truly grabs you, with the intent to take you down.
    And it will teach you balance in a way not typical of striking systems.
    It will be a fine addition to your arsenal and allow you to understand how to deal with those kinds of attacks and how your fighting ability can be exploited by someone with judo training.
    In short, its a win-win situation.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !