Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Knifefighter question

I agree with Knife and Phil on the outstretched arm thing, however reluctantly, because it took me a long time to discover and bring into play.

There's a lot more to it than just putting your arms out, you need good sense of center of gravity, short power to arm the weapons and mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Arms out with lateral/back movement is precisely the thing that made it hard for me to get into clinch/takedown range. I don't know if it is a WC concept (are WC guys not allowed to use non-WC concepts?), but it is a great way to keep a grappler from getting close... in wrestling we used to call it stalling, but I tend to think of it as "anti-grappling" at its finest.

In the clip where I got the takedown, he attacked with forward energy, which is what set up the takedown for me.
    2 questions:

1) Did you work towards any arm drag to taking the back techniques? Set up by jabs or whatever but working off the outstretched arm?

2) Did he sprawl ever? Or was he unfamiliar with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    1) Did you work towards any arm drag to taking the back techniques?
    I use arm drags in a majority of my grappling takedowns. Arm drags generally require the opponents arm to be at the same level or lower than yours. Since he was taller and kept his arms high, arm drags weren't much of an option. Arms drags also generally don't lend themselves to striking situations unless you can get some kind of tie up.

Set up by jabs or whatever but working off the outstretched arm?
    Yes, but the backwards/lateral defensive mobility generally negates this, especially if the opponent is bigger.

2) Did he sprawl ever? Or was he unfamiliar with that?
    I believe he had no grappling experience. He didn't sprawl, but he did have a pretty good instinctive defense to the low single.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-01-2006 at 10:41 AM.

No wonder you never posted a clip of yourself! LOL 11 pages of any and everyone tearing into you, your fashion sense and your technique!

I use arm drags in a majority of my grappling takedowns. Arm drags generally require the opponents arm to be at the same level or lower than yours. Since he was taller and kept his arms high, arm drags weren't much of an option. Arms drags also generally don't lend themselves to striking situations unless you can get some kind of tie up.

Yes, but the backwards/lateral defensive mobility generally negates this, especially if the opponent is bigger.

I believe he had no grappling experience. He didn't sprawl, but he did have a pretty good instinctive defense to the low single.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Set up by jabs or whatever but working off the outstretched arm?
    That being said, if I remember correctly, that is pretty much what I used to get the other takedowns that were not shown.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-01-2006 at 11:15 AM.

My First Internet Challenge!

From a grown man to boot!

I cannot come and spar you for several reasons.

1.) My hands are registered lethal weapons in California...look it up if you doubt me.

2.) My strikes are likened to human rights violations when they land (and they never miss, just watch Hiroshima).

3.) My techniques are considered WMD's. So if I came to LA the mere use of my techniques would be considered a use of WMD's which is illegal. Also, because I am a Canadian citizen it would be considered an act of war to use said WMD's in America...and it would be sad to see our military decimate America for the upteenth time.

In all fairness, I was only interested in poking at your ignorant comments. You say you didn't post that video claiming it was the legit MMA you actually do. Well when you ragged on the clips on my Sifu's site, which weren't claiming anything but illustrations of techniques, you freaked out. I knew immediately from watching the video that they weren't a good sparring session but a practice...but hey, most people practice and have full out hard sparring not a daily thing lest they cover themselves in layers upon layers of padding!

Your double standards know no boundaries. Arguments and conversation are one thing, but outright ignorance and maliciousness are something completely different.
    But you have your agenda...
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post

In all fairness, I was only interested in poking at your ignorant comments. You say you didn't post that video claiming it was the legit MMA you actually do. Well when you ragged on the clips on my Sifu's site, which weren't claiming anything but illustrations of techniques, you freaked out. I knew immediately from watching the video that they weren't a good sparring session but a practice...but hey, most people practice and have full out hard sparring not a daily thing lest they cover themselves in layers upon layers of padding!

Your double standards know no boundaries. Arguments and conversation are one thing, but outright ignorance and maliciousness are something completely different.
    But you have your agenda...

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    So is it safe to say that I would be the first kung fu teacher you've fought? yes? no?

well?...............

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    From a grown man to boot!

I cannot come and spar you for several reasons.

1.) My hands are registered lethal weapons in California...look it up if you doubt me.

2.) My strikes are likened to human rights violations when they land (and they never miss, just watch Hiroshima).

3.) My techniques are considered WMD's. So if I came to LA the mere use of my techniques would be considered a use of WMD's which is illegal. Also, because I am a Canadian citizen it would be considered an act of war to use said WMD's in America...and it would be sad to see our military decimate America for the upteenth time.
    BEST POST OF THE YEAR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.