Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video: Tan Tui

The 10 road tan tui had some small differences in it, but is essentially the same form I learned.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

They are from northern shaolin long fist association in Taiwan.

Last edited by SPJ; 11-27-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Greetings,

Thank you for the share, SPJ.

mickey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    They are from northern shaolin long fist association in Taiwan.
    SPJ,

Do you know who is the head of that association?

I have a feeling that this assoc. doesn't care much about application. Take the Tan Tui form for example, The following moves are missing in the Tan Tui

- #4 has a "front cut" throwing.
    - #5 Over head blocking.
    - #9 palm flips to opponent's eyes.
    - #10 elbow lifting blocking.

I'm glad people still trained the tradition forms but I'm a bit sad to see so many Shi Shou - meaningless moves in the forms.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-28-2006 at 02:45 AM.

http://j5168898a.myweb.hinet.net/intro.htm

according to the website info.

the association was founded by Jiang Chang Gen in Aug. 1980.

the association including students of Jiang from Kuo Shu clubs of several universities and high schools.

it is to promote and preserve Northern Shaolin long fist.

they also encourage research and articles.

the executive is Liao Guo Zhen.

Last edited by SPJ; 11-28-2006 at 07:44 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsDGldXsnfY

here is a clip of San Cai Jian (sword).

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    SPJ,

Do you know who is the head of that association?

I have a feeling that this assoc. doesn't care much about application. Take the Tan Tui form for example, The following moves are missing in the Tan Tui

- #4 has a "front cut" throwing.
    - #5 Over head blocking.
    - #9 palm flips to opponent's eyes.
    - #10 elbow lifting blocking.

I'm glad people still trained the tradition forms but I'm a bit sad to see so many Shi Shou - meaningless moves in the forms.
    This is the association from my LF brothers under my teacher Jian Chang-Gen who just passed away this July. The current executive is our oldest brother.

As application goes, we actually care very much about how to apply. We also care very much how to train. The difference is the interpretation.

Alhough not every one is really interested about the applications, we simply let the students decide what they prefer. If students like to fight, then we train them how to fight. If they don't, that is fine too. Some students simply can not fight because of the personality and lack of interest. At least they can exercise to get their health better.

The guy in Tan Tui clip is one of my juniors. He wrote an article in the web page, http://j5168898a.myweb.hinet.net/article_3.htm, for my teacher. There are some pictures of sparring in that article. You are welcome to check. Those pictures were taken at least 25 years ago. He is teaching in Hua Lian in east coast Taiwan now.

This is how I see in the difference in Tan Tui clip.

#4 We don't do "front cut throwing". We focus on punching on retreat.
    #5 He did front head block.
    #9 We do two hand "Lou" and two hand "Buo" while double kick. There is no palm flips to eyes.
    #10 There is no elbow lift block. It is "Flip Palm and hit palm", don't know how to translate to english exactly. It is "Fan Zhang and Chuan Zhang" like in many LF form.

This Tan Tui is exactly how my teacher learned from GM Han. GM Han changed some on his Tan tui clips shown on that black and white old veio clip taken in the taipei park. He also simplified the double kicks on 9th and 10th to jump kick on his vedio clip.

The person in charge of the web site started putting our clips to youtube this week. Youtube give us a lot more space for the vedio clips. It saved alot dsk space fo the web site. Over the years, we have recorded several vedio clips. Hope he can put it on public later for people here to see.

Cheers,

I do tan tuei 12 road from wu-tang.. and it looks different.. realli different..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
    #5 He did front head block.
    At 1.33, he moves his arm to the side and then above his head. I just don't know that kind of over head blocking could be practical in combat. I was taught this move as XingYi Pao Chuan that your over head blocking arm and punching arm move at the same time when your body advance. He has good foundation and there is no doubt about that. As far as I know the #10, you suppose to life up your opponent's leading arm by your palm and then jump kick at his chest. One of my LF senior brothers could use this move very well. I could still feel his body was "floating in the air" when he jump up.

the leg position on the extended punch at the end of some of the roads is different from how i learned. we would point the hanging (curled) leg to behind us which acts as a cantelever for balance of sorts and gives you the extra 6-8 inches of reach to sink the punch.

the 12 road is indeed different than the 10 road. except for the first 3 or 4 roads I think which are pretty much the same.

i didn't look at the other sets yet. But Im pretty sure I am unfamiliar with them beyond a very superficial look.

the tan tui was performed quite smoothly and with attention to detail. It looked good for all intents and purposes.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

very nice, high five!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At 1.33, he moves his arm to the side and then above his head. I just don't know that kind of over head blocking could be practical in combat. I was taught this move as XingYi Pao Chuan that your over head blocking arm and punching arm move at the same time when your body advance. He has good foundation and there is no doubt about that. As far as I know the #10, you suppose to life up your opponent's leading arm by your palm and then jump kick at his chest. One of my LF senior brothers could use this move very well. I could still feel his body was "floating in the air" when he jump up.

For the head block, that is how we practice actually, although we don't block that way in real situation. It is a mental thing. The reason for that kind of blocking is to make the move as big as we can, and the hand can expand as much as it can. As in real application, we actually block first a little earlier than punch. If the opponent have very heavy punch, like a lot of Taiwanese practice southern systems, you have to block first.

On the #10, the lift up palm is actually a simplified movement. Most people have hard time to do "flip and hit palm" while doing the double kicks at the same time. So, the flip palm became an option and hit palm became a push up or lift palm. It is much easier to kick that way. We actually teach students to do simplified way first as you describe and do jump kicks first instead of double kicks. This is a common teaching situation not just in my generation, it started in my teacher's generation actually.

I'm not saying his Tan Tui in the vedio clip is the best. Actually, he made some mistake on the #10 routine and the kicks did not have good speed. I know he can kick better normally because I have trained him. Every person has his own personal flavor even thay are under the same teacher. In the youtube site, you can see more vedio clips by many other people. Each one has their own good and bad moves. But, you can see how we performed in general.

Cheers,

I forgot to show the youtube web site with other vedio clips.

This is the youtube web site that has those vedio clips posted.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=stevenjr518

He said he will continue to post more clips later.

Cheers,

Thumbs up

thank you for posting the video info.

I like the Tan Tui set very much.