Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shi Decheng

Been hearing that from various sources for some time now.

Shi Yongxin has been working on books that show the "definitive" version of popular Shaolin sets, after interviewing folk masters and comparing things and adding any missing movements, etc.. This has been going on for several years. I have been hearing about him wanting everyone in Shaolin (at least those under him) to conform to this new standardization of all the sets.

As for Shi Decheng conforming to it as well, I heard this from a Shaolin friend who has been training at his school in Dengfeng regularly for the last few years. He said he has learned 3 or 4 versions of Meihuadao, for example, just from Shi Decheng alone. Upon asking why he changed the way he does all his sets now, he says it is because of what Yongxin is pushing.

I assume it's not so easy to keep hold of all the Yongxin disciples around the world and make sure they are doing their sets the same way now. Hence, some still doing it their unique way. That would probably require some sort of huge meeting.

But not all the books have been published. Only a handful, and it's said he's planning to cover over 300 sets, ending with the weapons.

Maybe keep this for the interview question! See what his plans are with the books also! I'm not sure how fast they are coming out, but they are quality material.

Ah yes, meihuadao

Funny you should bring that up as I was just looking at Decheng's old version of meihuadao on my video, Shaolin Trips. That's also the version in Decheng's '98 video series. I learned that version in '95 but for some weird reason, it never stuck. I think my BSL dao form overrode it. So are you saying Decheng has abandoned this version completely, or that he is teaching both versions? What is/are the other version(s) as you said your friend learned 3 or 4?

Now I do the new version - the Abbot-endorsed one. I learned it initially from Yan Fei, then had it tweaked by Yantuo, but have been reverting to Yan Fei's version lately. We ran a version of it in our 2011 Shaolin Special: Shaolin Plum Blossom Broadsword By Shi Yanguang, with Zhao Xiaohu. Each one is different. And all three of those are Yans, under Yongxin.

You know, I just noticed that those French vids call xiaohongquan "tao de la petite main rouge".
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So are you saying Decheng has abandoned this version completely, or that he is teaching both versions? What is/are the other version(s) as you said your friend learned 3 or 4?
    I personally don't know what he teaches, and my conversation on this was over the phone. Just catching up on things.

Something like with or without the opening section, or it's done differently here and there. I couldn't really see through the phone what he was talking about. But he said Shi Decheng has taught it to him in a few different ways (perhaps mistakenly?), but has apparently been changing other sets to conform to Yongxin's standardization. Would have to talk more with him on this, but that's what I gathered.

You know, I just noticed that those French vids call xiaohongquan "tao de la petite main rouge".
    That's cute.

So this is where that meihuadao discussion was.

I knew we were talking about it somewhere here.

Actually, I'm ttt-ing this for an entirely different reason. I just heard from Shi Decheng. He'll be traveling to Canada, then Europe (Paris, Zurich, Bologna) and then he's coming to KUNG FU TAI CHI 20 YEARS.

Then he's headed to Boston.

In regards to Shi Yongxin's standardization, I did ask him directly about that. You'll read his answer in our upcoming May June 2012 issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

He made it

It was delightful to host him at KFTC 20.

Xingda, Xinglong, Decheng & Scott Jeffrey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Decheng is back in Dengfeng

He just emailed me his thanks.

Here's another pic (one of my favs from the event)

L-R: Xinglong, Jin Le (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=892), Decheng (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=500), Shi Yanran (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...p?article=1036)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Is Xinglong your Shaolin name Gene? Or is it your Buddhist name? Or both? At what point does one receive a name?

I know in the Judeo Christian ethos, the Hebrews are given a name at their Bar/Bat Mitzvah and the Christians during their baptism.

For years I thought my Hebrew name was 'God **** It' , because my mother used it so much in my presence.

PS the 3 piece suit is tight.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Xinglong is my Shaolin name, HH

It was the name given to me by Shi Decheng when I discipled under him.

Read my book and all will be explained.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our reunion

It had been 6 years since I last saw my Shifu. He was as cheerful as ever.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Decheng update

Here's another photo from our event, one that we just posted on our facebook albums.

Also, this just in from Demitri Daniels...

09-08-2012 (2 days)
    2nd Annual Martial Arts Warriors Championships

This is an open martial arts competition for all styles. To promote the fellowship between all countries martial arts styles and not just one. The competition will have, empty hand, short, long, weapons divisions as well as teams forms competition and mid contact Sanda. There will be a book signing by Don Hyun Kiolbassa to promote his new book "Discover your Dragon" and on the second day there will be seminars givin by 31 st Generation Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi DeCheng.
    For more information, contact: Demitri Daniels
    Phone: (217) 649-8254
    Event Address: 500 W. Church St.
    Champaign, IL, 61820 USA
    Online: precioussword1@gmail.com - www.facebook.com/events/346293518722850
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shi Decheng is returning to Boston area

He will be with my *new" disciple brother, Scott Jeffrey. He has a series of events planned. For more info, contact Scott's school: Jade Forest of Rockland.

From facebook events:
    Jie Ben Gong APPLICATIONS
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 9:00am in EDT

Shaolin 5-Animal Form
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 at 3:00pm in EDT

Shaolin Chin Na
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 6:30pm in EDT

Chen Tai Chi
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 6:30pm in EDT

Jie Ben Gong
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 9:30am in EDT

Traditional Xiao Hong Chuan - Continued
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 3:00pm in EDT

Shaolin Straight Sword
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 3:00pm in EDT

Qi-Gong
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 6:00pm in EDT

Take Downs & Throws
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 7:30pm in EDT
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Scott Jeffrey is hosting our Shifu again this week.

Shaolin Ji Ben Gong W/ Shi De Cheng
    Shaolin Da Hong Chuan
    Shaolin Staff

Jade Forest Kung Fu of Rockland
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Shi Yongxin has been working on books that show the "definitive" version of popular Shaolin sets, after interviewing folk masters and comparing things and adding any missing movements, etc.. This has been going on for several years. I have been hearing about him wanting everyone in Shaolin (at least those under him) to conform to this new standardization of all the sets.

As for Shi Decheng conforming to it as well, I heard this from a Shaolin friend who has been training at his school in Dengfeng regularly for the last few years. He said he has learned 3 or 4 versions of Meihuadao, for example, just from Shi Decheng alone. Upon asking why he changed the way he does all his sets now, he says it is because of what Yongxin is pushing.

I assume it's not so easy to keep hold of all the Yongxin disciples around the world and make sure they are doing their sets the same way now. Hence, some still doing it their unique way. That would probably require some sort of huge meeting.

But not all the books have been published. Only a handful, and it's said he's planning to cover over 300 sets, ending with the weapons.

Maybe keep this for the interview question! See what his plans are with the books also! I'm not sure how fast they are coming out, but they are quality material.
    has there been any new ones since the ones that came out 2 years ago? Last ones I got where about 6 weapons booklets.
    My Martial Arts articles archive:

http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/index.htm

Shaolin Qigong / Neigong Healing & Self Defense Programs and Seminars:

http://www.jindaolife.com
    http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/index.html

Qigong Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchool/QigongProgram.htm
    Chinese Martial Art Program: http://www.bgtent.com/CMAQigongSchoo...ArtProgram.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    has there been any new ones since the ones that came out 2 years ago? Last ones I got where about 6 weapons booklets.
    Haven't been looking out for them!

Shi Decheng's 2014 USA visit: Parrish FL

Just posted on our calendar:
    Master Shi De Cheng Kung Fu and Tai Chi Seminars
    Event Type: Seminars
    Duration : 2
    Description : 6R Martial Arts in Parrish, Florida is very proud to host a full range of seminars, classes and private lessons conducted by Shifu (Master) Shi De Cheng. Space is limited to attend this extremely rare opportunity to train with Shifu Shi De Cheng. Shifu Shi De Cheng has been featured in Discovery Channel's Fight Quest and Kung Fu Magazine. Shifu Shi De Cheng began martial arts training at the age of 6. He was admitted to the Shaolin Temple as a 31st generation Shaolin Warrior Monk under Shifu Shi Su Yuan. Shifu Shi De Cheng teaches at his Kung Fu school in Deng Feng, China, and travels around the world to inspire the practice of Shaolin Kung Fu. Mark the date and email frontdesk@6rma.com requesting your information be added to the email list to receive updates and details about the nearly once in a lifetime opportunity. Please put "Shifu Shi De Cheng" in the subject line of your email.
    Address : 6R Martial Arts 9019 US Hwy 301 N
    Phone : 941-379-7981
    City : Parrish
    State : FL
    Zip/Postal : 34219
    Email : frontdesk@6rma.com
    URL : http://www.6rma.com
    Sep 27 (Sat) - Sep 28 (Sun)
    I was informed of this last month but it took a while before it was posted on our calendar (our updated calendar system is cumbersome - lots of firewalls and safeguard hoops to jump through because our previous calendar crashed our site). I've heard there will be more dates but I don't know them all yet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips