Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts & Religion

There is a very strong link between religion and many MA. The type of link is curious. Islam, which preaches war and killing of the 'kuffar' sees combat as religious duty and the reward is getting jiggy in a *****house afterworld. (I'm being flip, but I'm tired of quoting Surahs and Hadith and history - look it up yourself.)

Certain branches of buddhism use martial arts training as a tool to break through the grasping of dualistic thought. But does not preach or encourage violent behavior.

Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts - in fact when fighting off Islamic invaders, the soilders of the Eastern Roman Empire were forbidden holy communion.

Personally, I think there is a spritual aspect to some CMA practice - but i prefer the spiritual starement - not religious.

My old SPM coach used to try and convert everyone to Christanity, but he also thought St.Thomas was the ****sexual disciple because he cried and needed Jesus to comfort him - 'code' in the old world. I told that one to an Orthodox bishop at a party - he spit his beer out he was laughing so hard.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
    T
    Personally, I think there is a spritual aspect to some CMA practice - but i prefer the spiritual starement - not religious.

buddhism is one of the only "religions" that have no god...

it is spiritual cultivation , rather than soap-boxing ......

those who think other wise just don't havethe information

I always saw buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

that'swhy I dig it I guess....

It's a cruisey "own pace" kinda non-dogmatic developement philosphy that just happens to hold ma as something good to do.....

gotta love that

Well, some people do manage to make it dogmatic but what can you do
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts - in fact when fighting off Islamic invaders, the soilders of the Eastern Roman Empire were forbidden holy communion.
    "whatever man haveth not a sword, let him sell his shirt and buy one"
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think I read the somewher...

isn't the rest of the quote something like...

"...and may the procceeds fill our pockets graciously......"

Dogmatism:
    1 : positiveness in assertion of opinion especially when unwarranted or arrogant
    2 : a viewpoint or system of ideas based on insufficiently examined premises
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Ie: christianity

Some might be surprised to know that Chuck Norris is a born again Christian. I don't see a haughty, arrogant horses' behind, but a good man who is very dedicated to martial arts and doing some very good things.
    Figure Eight

Islam, which preaches war and killing of the 'kuffar' sees combat as religious duty and the reward is getting jiggy in a *****house afterworld. ...
    Fundamentalist fanatics.

Notice you are speaking for the whole of Christianity, as well as the whole of Islam.

You might also want to read more literature on the crusades. There are many people who say it was the fault of blood-hungry expansionist money-grabbing pseudo... wait, what is the end of that sentence...? Moslems or Christians?! The word we are looking for is 'fanatics'.

This is why I always go back to saying, as a peaceful Buddhist, kill all Moslems, Christians and Jews. I may be joking of course.
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 04-19-2004 at 07:12 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    Ie: christianity
    MMMmmmm... it's got that fresh intolerance smell.

Christanity has no religous connection to martial arts... I told that one to an Orthodox bishop at a party - he spit his beer out he was laughing so hard.
    As an aside for interest's sake, I've heard that Systema has some connection with Orthodoxy.
    Last edited by Christopher M; 04-19-2004 at 10:48 PM.

dogmatism doesn't necessarily apply only to religion.

I think though that every religion has it's dogma. It has to lol, because i don't think "god"(s) can be proved or disproved so to say or assert god exists is to be dogmatic.

however, to say a donught and coffee exist is not dogmatic.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Mat, of course I'm generalizing - but I'm discussing doctrine, not history. Christian doctrine, if not practice is that killing is bad - this even extends into reinterpreting the old testament - thou shalt not murder becomes thou shalt not kill - there is the difference betwen Judaism and Christianity.

Islam preaches killing unbeleivers. 76% of the worlds current conflicts involve muslims. For 1400 years the aggressive preachings have spread war and terror. This is history. And it is reveled in if you ever visit the Middle East. My ancestors battled and died at the gates of Vienna keeping Europe from the suffocating grip of this evil. How Europe lost track of such fairly recent history is astounding.

The Crusades were intended as an attempt to regain the 'holy land' which was INVADED AND CONQOURED by Muslims.

Frankly, it was reading translations of the schoolbooks used in a cross-section of ME countries is what really set me off. If you want to see hate rivalling a Klan rally - visit a Mosque. I have. Personally, I think it needs to be spoken out about. Islam means submission, not peace after all.

I'm not personally too interested in Middle Eastern religions in general, but Islam is scary sh!t.

try:
    www.jihadwatch.com or www.dhimmiwatch.org or www.memri.com

Of course, from a non-dual viewpoint, this all gets very funny.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Mat, of course I'm generalizing - but I'm discussing doctrine, not history. Christian doctrine, if not practice is that killing is bad -
    Of course, from a non-dual viewpoint, this all gets very funny.

and yet, their preists " the holy/iest/er dudes" rape and sodomise their students...or brothers....kids....

and their's a dude in the sky who's going to save me any minute

sure