Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Simplified? Where on earth have you been getting your info from?
    It was something a read a decade ago in a magazine and the mags are never known for their accuracy

-approach rapidly / step strong and quick
    -cross the bridge / contact-stick-dominate
    -fight from the inside / kill power-keep a shield-strike hard (no waiting just get in there)
    -be relentless / don't stop

very abridged but covers some of the main idea behind the black tiger i learned, which is a Hung system.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

TT, very good conceise description, i like it!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Agreed Ten. Sums it up nicely.
    They say the understanding of the 12 bridges comes later. But when do you first utilize the concepts? Gung Gee?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Well, If you want to put it into terms,you could say I start with Bik. With Gong, Jik,Jai,. Crashing the gates and getting in there,crowding, immobilizing. Later, I add more softness, (yau,wan))yielding,running,leaking hands.(chuen)is added during this. Then variations of direction, but not taught as bridges, but within sensitivity and feeling, everything comes together.
    At that point, it isn't about this bridge or that bridge. A hand is met, and whatever reaction is spontaneous, dependiing on the energy given. To talk of different bridges at that point is unneccesary. The twelve bridges is an attempt to put into words, what would be felt and understood through hands on, direct transmission from Sifu to student. In most cases, people who go on about the twelve bridges are usually pontificating.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 01-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I know This is an old thread but perhaps I can shed some light on this subject and kind of expand on what Mr. Hung Wei Lo has already added. First I would just like to say that, I have never spoken with or met Chong Oi Mon or anyone from the Chong clan but I have trained and spoken with several CKKA senior members.

The CKKA was first made up of mostly 2 Chong brothers and a couple of cousins that trained in both Karate and Kung Fu, located in Toronto’s China Town with Karate being more popular at the time. They did not feel like any style was better than the other and felt that all fighting styles had something to learn from. They also studied modern westernized boxing of the time, fighters like Muhammad Ali, which they would not be exposed to if they all still lived in China. They had a love of all the fighting styles. The way I see it, to teach Karate and Kung Fu in the late 50s early 60s, isn’t this called Mixed Martial Arts today or MMA? Don’t all Asian martial arts originate in China anyway? So basically all martial arts is Kung Fu? I guess the CKKA was also ahead of its time being the original mixed martial art (MMA) schools back in the early 60s, teaching Kung Fu before most of the western world even knew about martial arts, Shaolin, Kung Fu, Bruce Lee, the internet and let alone before any Kung Fu magazines.

They have many schools around the world affiliated with them, 30 just on the site alone. They teach karate first then slowly introduce Kung Fu for later belts, If so desired. With a wide arrange of intricate Kung Fu forms including 5 animals, self defences and weapons with over a 50 year history and perhaps tens of thousands of students around the world. This is no flash in the pan jumping on the new trend association. Lam Sai Wing had 10s if not hundreds of students, how Chong Oi Mun and the Chong clan knew one of them or met one of his students is not really a big deal nor is it entirely impossible in the time when China had tried to stop Kung Fu practitioners. Some escaped to Hong Kong others to North America.

The forms, the number of students and schools speak for themselves. It is only now that people are really starting to appreciate the true beauty of Kung Fu forms, weapons and history, still trying to question things like the CKKA lineage that has been around for over half a century with over 2000 years in the making.

well, so why bother making up a lineage that alludes to putting you on par with some top players of the style?

no gallery, no dissertation on the style, glaring errors and the oldest kungfu school in Toronto that publically taught non Chinese is Hong Luk and they were operating since 1961. Not these guys.

a bunch of good intention amounts to nothing really. especially when you are slapping other people who actually did the work in the face.

If one says they understand something, then they should be able to demonstrate that.,

so far, in regards to this group, that is simply not so.

what they train may be alright and fine, but the story they prop it up with is wrong.

This is like a Shaolin Do imposter thing but in a smaller bubble and effecting way less people.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A fellow Canuck, then I guess you should find these links quite interesting

http://www.canadianblackbelthalloffame.com/chong.html

http://www.canadianblackbelthalloffame.com/chan.html

I am not here to argue or anything but Hong luck only has maybe a couple schools affiliated with them after so many years since 1961. As I live in the Toronto area and know this for a fact and even been to Hong Luck and can correctly spell its name right.

While the CKKA was around late 50s early 60s and has over 30 schools affiliated with them just on the site alone.

The numbers speak for themselves. You want pictures and a Gallery? Ask the Website manager, perhaps its under construction?

I have a better idea, why don’t you go check out a school and see for yourself. There is at least a school in every province.

As for the lineage I did not make it. It is probably just a guide line if anything. The only one that can answer that is the Chong’s themselves.

I am not here to put down any schools. Nor am I here to really defend a school. I am just trying to say that If you really don’t know anything about something, why bother trying to put it down, especially on the internet. My advise to those people is get off the computer and stop being an arm chair Kung Fu Master. Go to the school your interested in ask them Questions.

Kung Fu is not on the internet nor is it in a magazine It is a verb a doing word.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

While the CKKA was around late 50s early 60s and has over 30 schools affiliated with them just on the site alone.

The numbers speak for themselves.
    numbers mean two things, one is "jack" and the other is "shit"

I can point you to outright fraud operations and cults that have tons of schools and thousands of brainwashed followers

I am not here to put down any schools.
    nah! you aren't putting down any schools by changing lineages to try and "downgrade" respect masters, no way
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

***in response to Dim Mok***
    This is a discussion forum right?
    It's ok to discuss these things. As long as there is no disrespect then it's ok.
    Everyone has an opinion and should feel free to express that.
    Somebody who's reading might have some really good info regarding the subject. It's not always possible to just show up at the school and ask questions.
    But I understand where you are coming from... there are far too many armchair internet warriors.
    But the issue of placing certain names in an certain order understandably could ruffle some feathers. It's not the first or last time it will happen.

in response to lkfmdc

I must have hurt an arm chair warrior being that you have almost 10 000 posts

5 links on your page and a DVD for sale wtf???

you should know more about fraud than anyone

Thumbs down

wow, a guy who wears silk pj's and pretends he is fighting with swords talking tough from behind an keyboard, what a unique thing

if by armchair you mean actuall lei tai, ring and cage fights.... yawn

sorry your pussy got sand in it, here's brush, clean it out and then rub in some oil
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

A fellow Canuck, then I guess you should find these links quite interesting

http://www.canadianblackbelthalloffame.com/chong.html

http://www.canadianblackbelthalloffame.com/chan.html

I am not here to argue or anything but Hong luck only has maybe a couple schools affiliated with them after so many years since 1961. As I live in the Toronto area and know this for a fact and even been to Hong Luck and can correctly spell its name right.

The numbers speak for themselves. You want pictures and a Gallery? Ask the Website manager, perhaps its under construction?

I have a better idea, why don’t you go check out a school and see for yourself. There is at least a school in every province.

As for the lineage I did not make it. It is probably just a guide line if anything. The only one that can answer that is the Chong’s themselves.

I am not here to put down any schools. Nor am I here to really defend a school. I am just trying to say that If you really don’t know anything about something, why bother trying to put it down, especially on the internet. My advise to those people is get off the computer and stop being an arm chair Kung Fu Master. Go to the school your interested in ask them Questions.

Kung Fu is not on the internet nor is it in a magazine It is a verb a doing word.
    You're doing fine defending them though...lol.

I wouldn't. YOu can't put yourself on par with Kong and Wong and then just sit back and not expect anyone to question that. Kong and Wong both have a long and storied lineage and background whereas these guys are virtually unknown.

in any lineage, it's not about being one of thousands of people who went to a club at some time or another, it's about being legitimized as an instructor of that family line.

so, if they make these glaring errors in their telling of what is Hung Gar, then place in a previously unknown student of LSW, then attach themselves to said student and put themselves on par with a couple of really well known practitioners

...well, I think the internet does a lot of service here inasmuch as it allows us to speak directly with current students of said masters.

So, having said all that, the sky is up, the ground is down and the onus is on these guys to PROVE their claims to the rest of the Hung Kuen world, or Step Off and tell what's up with what they are teaching.

If it's good on it's own, why try to attach to Hung Gar lineages that already exist and are very well documented?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have met different teachers and students from this lineage, when I first saw them at tournaments I thought they were karateka as most of them do karate forms and Japanese weapons as well. Later at a demo I read their lineage and asked the assistant intructor iif they were Hung Gar to which he replied "no we are shaolin 5 animal style." Again I asked "5 animals from Hung gar?" to which he gave a puzzled "no we are shaolin 5 animal style." At the tournaments i have seen they do typical karate style point sparring (like tag) but I can't comment on their abilities as I never trained or fought with them, they are very popular in Southern Ontario in Canada. With so many schools their skill levels probably vary quite a bit.

lkfmdc I think you took too many punches to the head.

I must of hit you where it hurts. Your the one talking how tough you are Mr. Cage Fighter.

If you read properly you would notice that I have been to many schools and have trained with the CKKA which is linked to many many schools around the world.
    Which means I just don't do Kung Fu. I am a student of traditional and Modern Fighting styles MMA.

Yes I occasionally wear pjs but they are more cottony not silk as well as a karate gi, muay thai shorts and yes I some times wield swords including many other weapons. Would you like to learn something??

I also do full contact fighting whether it is in a cage or a ring. I would challenge you but your probably an overweight shlub with the amount of time you spend on the internet and are probably out of my weight class anyway. You sound like you have short man syndrome.

I did not come here to start things with anyone I just wanted to comment on certain things

Talking how tough you are on a martial arts forum how original

I was wondering about your DVDs If I use code "VFQ6DNH6" can I truly get $15 off??

Buddy your hurting.