Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is Tan Tui a northern shaolin art?

is Tan Tui a northern shaolin art?

i was just wondering if anyone on here could clear up my puzzled querry. I was doing some research on the tinternet regarding tantui and its history, mainly of where and when it was founded and who by. Some sites state that tantui is a chinese moslem art where as others state it comes from the northern shaolin temple.
    i'm a little confused any help or any individual thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Giuseppe
    Doug Maverick on jet li and his final movie.

jet li: i don't want to do martial arts films no more i want to do regular acting!

producers: B!tch you can't act you better stick to kicking and punching thas what you do.

jet li: but i'm tired of it and my knees hurt!

producer(pulls out contract): well this here says we got five more film out your ass, and trust me there not going to be no romance comedy with, jennifer aniston. hey don't you wushu guys have a saying "eat bitter"

It is a Northern Moslem art that somehow got mixed into Shaolin temple.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    It is a Northern Moslem art that somehow got mixed into Shaolin temple.
    they adopted it because of the milatary line drill format of the warrior muslem gung fu...I think I read that in an old chinese tantuit book at the library...

thanks guys, for your input. Now i just have one more question regarding tantui. Is it practiced in the sense of say Kata in Karate, where you are attacking and defending against invisible opponents? I know it sounds a bit stupid but i was wondering what Tantui signifies.

thanks again.
    Doug Maverick on jet li and his final movie.

jet li: i don't want to do martial arts films no more i want to do regular acting!

producers: B!tch you can't act you better stick to kicking and punching thas what you do.

jet li: but i'm tired of it and my knees hurt!

producer(pulls out contract): well this here says we got five more film out your ass, and trust me there not going to be no romance comedy with, jennifer aniston. hey don't you wushu guys have a saying "eat bitter"

I suppose you could, but it's really more for conditioning and body mechanics training. You should practice against real opponent, not imaginary.

Take the individual techniques out of the form and work them as individual techniques with your training partners. When doing the solo form, focus your intent on perfecting the body method (Mechanics) of the art.

"The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Tan tui is swamp/lake leg/fist.

or bouncy leg/fist.

there are many forms/routines including weapons.

it is a school/style of fighting methods.

there are 8, 10, 12, roads tan tui routines. these are commonly known.

however, there are more other stuff.

some are passing down, some are lost.

--

norther shaolin arts

referring not only to song shan shao lin temple, but also many other temples that are related or under its auspice.

there are many shao lin related temples thruout northern china such as those in shan dong etc .

shaolin used to be a geographical center of northern china.

many people travel and be a guest there.

it is an exchange and preservation ground for many martial arts.

--

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    they adopted it because of the milatary line drill format of the warrior muslem gung fu...I think I read that in an old chinese tantuit book at the library...
    I think the Idea of the roads comes from the military line drill. I read some where that the creator of tan tui was a muslin soldier serving in the Chinese Amy fighting the Wokou & probably served under General Qi Jiguang or Yu Dayou.

back when i did hung kune (really terrible teacher) we all had to learn tam tui before progressing on to the made up animal sets and eventually tiger crane etc (although for some reason taming the tiger wasnt included)

anyway i got up to about the 8th road and found it of little or no help to my sparring or self defence needs with the two man drills having little to do with fighting at all
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Greetings,

SPJ:

Could you elaborate on the "more other stuff" please?

mickey

anyway i got up to about the 8th road and found it of little or no help to my sparring or self defence needs with the two man drills having little to do with fighting at all

Reply]
    That is because you had a crappy teacher. Tan Tui is a Northern art, and fights totally different than Hun Gar does, so it's a conflicting methodology. Sounds like your teacher was just using it as a leg/kicking drill, and was not really diving deep into it as a fighting system all it's own. If you had a real Tan Tui teacher who could show you the usage I am sure you would see quite a bit of value in the art.

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/34466342.html

forgot the links.

but the link above from baidu has good info, too.

a. lake leg;

1. ling qing tan tui

it is from tang dynasty, there are 10 roads.

2. shaolin tan tui

xian ji chan monk from shaolin learned ling qing tan tui in ming dynasty.

he took tan tui to shaolin and added 2 more roads. in exchange, he taught shaolin luohan fist to shan dong ling qing lake temple.

3. chin woo tan tui

it is from huo yuan jia.

b. bouncy leg

1. jiao men tan tui

from moslem chinese.

2. tong bei tan tui

from cang zhou, he bei.

3. 6 roads tan tui

simplified from 10 roads.

c. tao lu

1 10 tang tan tui for beginner

2, 18 tang (trip) za (cha) quan, the first 6 tang, mid 6 tang, final 6 tang.

other short forms.

weapons:

1 dao (broad sword): ba bu, lian huan, wang cheng, chun chiu etc.

2. qiang (spear): yin shou, liu he, ba bao,

3. some kind of hook, tang, dun know how to translate in english.

there one man and 2 man drills of the weapon forms.

on and on.

Last edited by SPJ; 02-17-2008 at 04:20 PM.