Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is Tan Tui a northern shaolin art?

1. ling qing was in the middle of song, liao, and jin.

the city was taken over many times by all sides.

one of the infantry head hid in the long tan temple, his name was kun lung da shi.

both liao and jin are migrant people, they are good at shuai and na.

song army was weak, however, song civilians picked up MA learning and defending themself on the border towns.

tan tui was created by kun lung monk. liao and jin are good at upper body and arms for shuai and na. so tan tui was created to defeat the enemy at lower body or legs.

2. xian ji introduced tan tui to shaolin, xian ji also introduced luo han fist methods to shan dong ling qing dragon lake temple.

so tan tui has hand methods of luo han.

shao lin has tan tui as their leg methods.

3. canal systems were built in yuan, ling qing was in the center/middle of the canal system. there are many merchants and martial artists came and learned tan tui.

4. in ming and qing dynasty, ling qing continued to be the center of commerce along the canal system. tan tui was learned and incorporated into many northern style, such as hua quan.

--

Aren't some tan tui versions set up to be two man sets. Like roads 1-6 fit together with roads 7-12 or whatever numbers.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

It's a good set. Said to be a muslim martial art practice in origin and is included in styles of shaolin although i don't think it is currently practiced there at the temple proper. It shows up in various places from different lineages of northern shaolin styles kungfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    Aren't some tan tui versions set up to be two man sets. Like roads 1-6 fit together with roads 7-12 or whatever numbers.
    Yeah, the 12 section Tam Tui routine is the first form taught in the Chin Woo school and is often taught (to beginners) in two groups of 6 movements. Jie Tan Tui (2 person spring kicking) is another of the Chin Woo fundamental routines.

SPJ,

Thank you for your translation.

Re Xian Ji: I have long believed that the Shaolin 12 section Tan Tui and the 6 section Duan Da comprised the original 18 Lohan Technique. I never had some sort of proof until now.

Thank you for sharing,

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 02-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Regarding the Chin Woo's Tan Tui - what I've heard and read is that the Tan Tui of Huo Yun Jia was not preserved there.

Zhao Lin He who was also a Mizong Stylist is said to have taken his 10 road Tan Tui and restructured it thus ending up with a 12 road set.

Perhaps he just had also learned Shaolin's 12 Road version and taught that instead?

Isn't Kuoshu's standard Tan Tui 10 Road Routine also from the Mizong Style?

Yeah, the 12 section Tam Tui routine is the first form taught in the Chin Woo school and is often taught (to beginners) in two groups of 6 movements. Jie Tan Tui (2 person spring kicking) is another of the Chin Woo fundamental routines.
    What I meant is that the tam tui could be done as a two person set, the first half corresponding to the second half. I know I read about one tradition that did that.
    I don't think it was the Chin Woo Tradition though because I know that one through 7-Star mantis.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Greetings,

Re Zhao Lin He/Chao Lian Ho:

He was credited with the development of the two man set of Tan Tui. That he added two sets to the ten line version is "news" to me. The 12 line version of Chin Woo is more aligned with other 12 line versions that I have seen that are of Shaolin origin.

With regard to Lost Track, I have heard the fourth road of Tan Tui associated with it.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 02-18-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Tan Tui / Tam Toy

Thru my lineage:

The translation reads "Springing or Snapping Legs"

There are 10, 12, 24, 108 road sets and 2 person sets.

Ginosifu

The translation varies by the dictionary you use. In the end they all mean the same.

I've heard of the 24/28 road set but a 108 Road?

What style/school does a 108 Road version?

Talk about a back and ball buster

That's a lot of roads

Check this clip out. I like the flow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4UspyrlgjvQ

That he added two sets to the ten line version is "news" to me.
    I didn't know how many roads it was, I just picked a number.

Check this clip out. I like the flow.
    I guess it kind of flowed but there was no intention there at all, he looked powder puff. Where was the power, it looked like hand waving.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

I guess it kind of flowed but there was no intention there at all, he looked powder puff. Where was the power, it looked like hand waving.
    LOL.
    There wasn't any hard power, sure ...maybe soft?

Have you seen any other clips of Tan Tui with that intention you mention?

I wouldn't say he was powder puff...I've seen worse that fits that description though.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    1. ling qing was in the middle of song, liao, and jin.

the city was taken over many times by all sides.

one of the infantry head hid in the long tan temple, his name was kun lung da shi.

both liao and jin are migrant people, they are good at shuai and na.

song army was weak, however, song civilians picked up MA learning and defending themself on the border towns.

tan tui was created by kun lung monk. liao and jin are good at upper body and arms for shuai and na. so tan tui was created to defeat the enemy at lower body or legs.

2. xian ji introduced tan tui to shaolin, xian ji also introduced luo han fist methods to shan dong ling qing dragon lake temple.

so tan tui has hand methods of luo han.

shao lin has tan tui as their leg methods.

3. canal systems were built in yuan, ling qing was in the center/middle of the canal system. there are many merchants and martial artists came and learned tan tui.

4. in ming and qing dynasty, ling qing continued to be the center of commerce along the canal system. tan tui was learned and incorporated into many northern style, such as hua quan.

--
    I'm curious, what's special about their leg methods?...like hung ga has low horse and tiger claw iron bridge for specialty...