Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warrior

Warrior

In the new fad of Redbelt and Never Back Down, here's another MMA film coming...

Gavin O'Connor Developing MMA Film Titled Warriors
    September 10, 2008
    by Alex Billington

This week I caught up with Greg O'Connor, brother of director Gavin O'Connor and producer of most of his films, and talked with him about Pride and Glory. Before the interview wrapped, Greg talked about Gavin's potential next film - a drama called Warriors set in the world of mixed martial arts (aka MMA). As far as I know, this is the first time I've heard of this, and considering I'm a fan of UFC, I was excited to delve into details. Additionally, since David Mamet's Redbelt, the only other recent MMA film, turned out terrible, I was intrigued to hear that Hollywood hadn't given up entirely on MMA just yet.

"We're working on something that Gavin– seems like something he's going to direct next. It's called Warrior, and it's in the world of mixed martial arts." Back in 2002, Greg and Gavin made a documentary called Smashing Machine about fighter Mark Kerr and the early days of the UFC. "I thought that Gavin would not be the obvious filmmaker to make a movie like that and that's what I thought was really cool about it," O'Connor explains. He adds that "Gavin is actually very influenced by Rocky." But instead of making a movie about boxing, they decided to look into the world of MMA. "I think there's an opportunity to tell a story in this world, and it's a world that has a lot of interest right now."

So what of the story? O'Connor was a bit short on the details, but he gives a good introduction. "I think it has a very visceral feeling like Pride and Glory but it's about two brothers who are fighters, who are estranged, and who have to, through the course of the story, find each other again and reconnect to a relationship with their father, who they've sort of also become estranged with." Of course I had to ask about the UFC and their involvement, since they seem like a tough organization to work with.

"It's interesting, we're not working with the UFC, we made a specific decision not to work with the UFC, only because our understanding is that they actually want more influence over what the content of the material is than we want to give them. We've actually used that to our advantage in the story and we're specifically not doing UFC and creating sort of a tournament that is a new thing but feels very authentic. It does play very authentically in terms of the world and the fighters in the world, like Randy Couture and other people that are sort of embedded in the movie."

The ten people out there who saw Redbelt know that, in theory, that film had the potential to be great, but Mamet forgot to think about how important fighting was in an MMA movie. But Warriors on the other hand actually sounds pretty **** good. It may still be a drama, but O'Connor made it sound like a studio film, not at all independent, that will have fighting and all that great MMA stuff that we want to see. And as for Gavin O'Connor directing and Greg O'Connor producing, the two seem to know how to make great dramas, so that's nothing we should be worried about. It sounds like Randy Couture will be involved, but what other fighters would be great to see? Does an MMA movie sound exciting to you?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

****** gene. you got me all hyped up thinking it was something about one of the greatest genre films of all time. instead i see some crap about a mma film. redbelt was amazing(anyone say david mamet) but NBD was total crap.

lol doug

I feel ya on Warriors (the original). That film rocked.

"Warriors, come out to play-yay!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can't even think of that movie without thinking of the old Blitz song "the Warriors." It's not even related to that, but I can't help it.

It's now called Warrior...

...perhaps dropping the 's' was to avoid confusion with The Warriors.
    Gavin O'Connor Finds a Cast for His MMA Drama Warrior
    March 9, 2009
    by Alex Billington

Last year we exclusively revealed early details on a project that director Gavin O'Connor (Miracle, Pride and Glory) had in the works called Warrior, a drama set in the world of mixed martial arts. The story is about a family and two brothers, and O'Connor has finally found his cast. Warrior will be headlined by Nick Nolte, who will play the estranged father. Playing his youngest son is Tom Hardy (who played Charles Bronson in Bronson) and playing the older son is up-and-coming Australian actor Joel Edgerton. Also joining the cast is Jennifer Morrison. Production will begin this April in Pittsburgh for a 2010 release.

Nolte will play an ex-Vietnam vet boxer-turned-steel mill worker whose family was torn apart by his alcoholism; the now-sober and remorseful dad welcomes back his youngest son (Hardy) and trains him to compete in a MMA tournament. He and his older brother (Edgerton), who still remains estranged, end up on a collision course in the ring. The script was written by Gavin O'Connor and newcomer Anthony Tambakis. We should mention that O'Connor does have some past experience with mixed martial arts, as he directed the documentary
    Smashing Machine about fighter Mark Kerr and the early days of the UFC.

While I'm not particularly a fan of Nolte, I'm already loving this cast and the story in the film, and I can't wait to actually see it come together. Maybe this will finally be the project where O'Connor proves he's a capable director again, since Pride and Glory was a very dull and boring waste of time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Calling all Beaver County Times & Allegheny PA forum peeps

What are you doing this Sunday?
    Be in a movie
    By Scott Tady, Times Entertainment Editor
    Published: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:18 PM EDT
    PITTSBURGH — Nick Nolte needs us.

Otherwise, he can’t complete his movie, “Warrior,” that begins filming late this month in Pittsburgh.

Lionsgate Studios will hold an open call Sunday for people interested in working as extras in the martial arts action film. The open call lasts from noon to 4 p.m. on the second floor of the Sheraton Station Square.

All extra roles are non-speaking, and experience isn’t necessary.

Those trying out at the open call should bring a recent photo and resume, or brief description of their experience in performing arts. Their commitment can last from one day to several weeks, with filming scheduled locally through early July.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    ****** gene. you got me all hyped up thinking it was something about one of the greatest genre films of all time. instead i see some crap about a mma film. redbelt was amazing(anyone say david mamet) but NBD was total crap.
    Have you seen Kuro-obi ( Black Belt) ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Pub photos released

Good move coattailing on The Fighter. An MMA film up for the Oscars? I can dream, can't I?
    'The Fighter' + 'Bloodsport' = 'Warrior'
    March 10, 2011 ι Jarett Wieselman

Early last week Mark Wahlberg floated the idea of a "Fighter" sequel, but it looks like "Inception" star Tom Hardy may have beaten him to the punch with "Warrior" -- a new film about two brothers and their broken family. Only this time the bloody action takes place inside an MMA octagon.

Joining Tom in the Mixed Martial Arts movie, which also looks to share some DNA with Van Damme's "Bloodsport," is Joel Edgerton (amazing in "Animal Kingdom") as his estranged brother who simultaneously returns to the ring, resulting in a brother-on-brother bout for the title.

Tom, who is no stranger to physical transformations (he gained 40 pounds of muscle to play the lead character in 2008's "Bronson") underwent a rigorous regimen to get in fighting shape for "Warrior," the results of which you can see in these behind the scenes photos.

There are more photos
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another update

Profile: Gavin O'Connor's 'Warrior' ready for box-office fight
    By BARBARA VANCHERI
    First Posted: July 06, 2011 - 8:00 am
    Last Updated: July 06, 2011 - 8:00 am

A funny thing happened on the way to "Warrior," a gritty martial arts film due out in September.

Director and co-writer Gavin O'Connor wanted to cast two performers who were largely unrecognizable but had star potential: "I didn't want an audience to have any memories of these actors from other roles."

Lo and behold, Tom Hardy ended up as a master of disguise in "Inception," delivered a tour de force turn as Britain's most famous prisoner in "Bronson" and has been cast in "The Dark Knight Rises."

Co-star Joel Edgerton ("Smokin' Aces," "Star Wars: Episode III" "Kinky Boots") appeared in the crime drama "Animal Kingdom" and as an arsonist in the Aussie thriller "The Square."

By Sept. 9, when "Warrior" arrives in theaters, audiences will be even more familiar with the men who portray estranged brothers. Nick Nolte plays their father, a retired steelworker and former raging, angry alcoholic.

The film originally was scheduled for 2010 release. But Lionsgate executives wanted to avoid a box-office showdown with "The Fighter," starring the better-known Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg.

"It actually worked in our favor to wait, and now these guys are actually starting to emerge, and that's certainly, from the studio's perspective, helpful," O'Connor said. "For me, I wish nobody knew who they were, but it is what it is."

Most of the movie was shot in Pittsburgh, which plays itself and doubles as Philadelphia. The city's history as a steel town and Pennsylvania's reputation as wrestling country drew O'Connor.

"Visually, it had what I would call working-class poetry that I really responded to when I scouted the city. There was a toughness that I needed that symbolized this family unit."

O'Connor, who made the police drama "Pride and Glory," rousing hockey story "Miracle" and indie hit "Tumbleweeds," says reaction at test screenings hasn't pivoted on knowledge of mixed martial arts, or MMA.

"Our highest scores were not only women but women who knew nothing about the sport. ... After our first test screening, I went up to the studio, and they jokingly said, 'You made a chick flick.' We were all shocked."

He intended a face-off between the brothers, who separately enter a winner-take-all MMA competition, to serve as "an intervention in a cage." One brother saves the other by kicking the stuffing out of him.

"That's because they grew up in a home where they communicated with violence. The intention was that these two brothers sort of expiate the last 14 years that they've been estranged and over five rounds, they deal with the past and slowly heal by beating each other up."

The cast includes real Ultimate Fighting Championship champs on or behind the scenes.

O'Connor cast Hardy as Tommy because "I needed someone who had a very tough exterior and yet had a deep vulnerability. ... The character does a lot of bad things, and the audience had to understand that what he was doing was coming from a place of pain."

O'Connor said MMA hasn't been dramatized in this way in a feature. He doesn't count straight-to-DVD releases or Hong Kong karate movies.

"The studio always says if you can make the 21st-century 'Rocky,' that's what would be great, aim for that.

"That's cool, but Rocky's boxing and this is mixed martial arts, which is the fastest-growing sport in the world. It's the new boxing."

Nolte is the director's neighbor and friend. His "Warrior" character of Paddy Conlon is seen listening to "Moby-****" on audiotape.

"It just felt right for his character. We went a lot deeper with Paddy's character in regard to a man who never left Pittsburgh but traveled across the globe through the books he listened to on tape. Now that he's sober, he's replaced his alcoholic addiction with books."

But only so much can make the final cut of a movie, which ended up featuring O'Connor in a small role as the wealthy promoter of Sparta.

Charles "Mask" Lewis Jr., the founder of an apparel company catering to MMA fans, was to play the part, but he died in a car accident in March 2009.

"He was a very dear friend of mine. He opened up all the doors for me in the world of mixed martial arts." After the 45-year-old Lewis was killed, O'Connor stepped in to honor his friend.

The character's name and other details were changed, and the movie is dedicated to him.
    Does "an intervention in a cage" strike anyone else as funny? Perhaps because I've been involved with an intervention or two, and because I work here, it just strikes me as funny.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Who the hell was Edgerton in Star Wars?

This is looking promising

We have an 'official' KungFuMagazine.com review forthcoming.
    Aug 29, 2011
    Director sees 'Warrior' film as 'intervention in a cage'
    By Sergio Non, USA TODAY 7:31 PM

Don't think of Warrior as a mixed martial arts movie just because its main characters fight in an MMA tournament.

"The MMA part of the film was tertiary to many other things going on in my life," director and co-writer Gavin O'Connor says. "Clearly, it's not about the sport. It's a drama, and then there's even drama within the sport while they're actually fighting."

Make no mistake -- MMA has a central role in the production. Warrior revolves around two brothers, Brendan and Tommy, in a tournament reminiscent of the grand-prix events that were staples of Pride Fighting Championships from 2000 to 2006.

The tourney's cast includes a dominant Russian, Koba, played by Olympic champion and pro wrestler Kurt Angle but based on former Pride titleholder Fedor Emelianenko. One of the fights ends with a moment inspired by one of Pride's most famous knockouts.

But for all the grittiness of the action, it's the acting that has generated most of the positive early reactions from Hollywood trade publications and magazines such as Vanity Fair, which calls Warrior "a riveting and complex character study."

USA TODAY spoke to O'Connor recently about the movie, which is scheduled for a Sept. 9 release. Excerpts from the conversation:

Q: What's the genesis of the film?

O'Connor: The film was born out of many different personal things going on in my life. The MMA part of the film was tertiary to many other things going on in my life; the MMA just came out of my love of the sport.

But the idea of forgiveness and things that happened to me in my childhood growing up -- I think I needed to explore (that) and express myself through my art, which is filmmaking and writing and directing.

And balancing that with being able to get money to make a movie, so it's not so personal that no one's going to finance what I do. The trick to these things, for me anyway, is to make things personal and delve into my own heart, yet also tell stories that hopefully are accessible and people can relate to in their own lives.

For example, we had a screening recently, and a woman came up to me afterward and said, "I haven't spoken to my brother in over 20 years, and I'm going to go call him tonight." I got a chill when she told me that. That, to me, is the gift of what art can do.

As I was watching, it struck me not as an MMA movie, but as a drama that happens to have MMA in it.

Yeah, very much so. It's all driving toward what I call an intervention in a cage.

One brother, Brendan, saves the other brother's life metaphorically by destroying him, by killing him. Tommy needs to die at the hands of his brother to be reborn. That's what I was driving toward.

Clearly, it's not about the sport. It's a drama, and then there's even drama within the sport while they're actually fighting. Those five rounds allow those two brothers to (grapple) with their past.

They were taught to communicate through violence with their dad. That's how they learned to communicate, and that's how they are communicating. Every punch, every kick, every strike is a word.

The Tommy character reminded me in some ways of Mark Kerr, who was the subject of one of your documentaries, The Smashing Machine. How much did your experience from that production inform the sensibility of Warrior?

Smashing Machine was my introduction to the sport and the fighters in the sport. But since that film, I've met so many fighters and have been to so many fights and watched so many fights that that was just part of the DNA of what I was doing. I'm sure there's a page out of a lot of even boxers' lives, and people I know, that have sort of infiltrated the script.

If you're referring to the pills ... now that you mention it, probably unconsciously. The whole intent with Tommy was, he was coming home to see his father -- but he was coming home to see the father that he knew when he left, which was a man who was a drunk.

Tommy's intention gets turned upside down when his father's sober. In essence, he spends the rest of the movie trying to get the guy to drink.

It wasn't just the pills that made think of Kerr, but also the way Tommy dominates. Kerr was destroying guys when he first came up in UFC.

That's a good reference. I can't deny it. To be totally honest, it wasn't a conscious thing, but I'm sure that seeped into it.

In terms of their fighting styles, Tommy simply wrecks opponents with his punching power, while Brendan is a more technical guy and a submission ****. How did you decide on the ways they would fight?

The decision came for several reasons.

I knew that I wanted Brendan's character to endure great hardships in the cage. I wanted his fights to go longer and I wanted his fights to be more brutal in regards to the punishment that he takes.

There are so many things in fighting that you can measure: height; weight; reach. There are certain statistical things you can measure.

But you can't measure a man's heart. That's an immeasurable thing that one cannot see. So the thing that I was always aiming for with Brendan was -- on paper, he was not a guy that looks like he could fight, but you can't measure his heart.

And as you know with MMA, anybody can win and anybody can lose. On a given night, someone makes the wrong move, and if you wait them out -- I learned that a lot from Greg Jackson.

Greg Jackson was my technical advisor and he was with us all the time, and that's the thing he would always preach to me: If you can wait someone out and you wait for someone to make a mistake, if you have the opportunity, you can exploit it and you can win. Especially in these grand prix tournaments, where it's very different than preparing for one fight.

So I knew for Brendan, I wanted the fights to go longer. For Tommy, because he's a freight train, I wanted them to end quickly.

So it just felt like those styles were appropriate for the application of that in the movie.

I can see why you'd want Brendan's character to struggle in his wins. But why is it so important for Tommy to be so dominant?

Because Tommy's living in so much rage and so much anger. He's got so much rage toward himself, he's destroying himself. He's raging at God -- that's the whole point.

He's got so much internal anger and rage. He's like a guy who hit a crack pipe. It's that immediate kind of soulless, godless drug that gives you this high that also destroys you. And for Tommy, it's just unleashing him and then it's over.

Warrior's fights are far less cartooonish than the action of most martial arts movies and even many boxing films. How important was it to keep things relatively realistic, for the most part?

It was crucial. The thing I said to all my mixed martial arts guys when I started hiring my coordinators and choreographers is, "I don't want Hong Kong-style fighting. I want this to be grounded in abject reality."

We had written the fights a certain way, but I said to all my guys, "Throw out what I wrote -- Anthony (Tambakis), my co-writer and I. We know that this has to happen in this fight, but maybe there's a better way to accomplish that."

We went through hundreds of fights. If it didn't really happen, I didn't want it to be in the movie. Every single thing in the movie has really happened. I've seen it, I've found it or they found it and showed it to me. Then it was a matter of, "I want to use that for this fight."

You know, in Pride, (Wanderlei Silva) knocked out "Rampage" (Quinton Jackson) and he went hanging through the ropes. I'm like, "I want to use that. That knockout's going to be for Tommy with Mad Dog."

You have Brendan fight the recognizable UFC fighters, Nate "The Great" Marquardt and Anthony "Rumble" Johnson. How come you decided on those matchups for him?

That wasn't intentional. We were in Pittsburgh, I was trying to get guys for each different part. I didn't want really, really famous fighters.

We were just dealing with people's schedules. We had other guys, and then they got a fight and then they couldn't do it.

So that wasn't intentional. It just ended up that way.

Did you try them out at all to see if the Brendan actor, Joel Edgerton, worked better with Nate and Johnson? How did that shake out?

I was just casting each role. We had written the specific characters. Nate was one of several guys that I wanted for that particular fighter, and we got Nate. Greg (Jackson, who helps coach Marquardt) helped with that one, because Greg is a friend and he was my technical advisor.

How'd you wind up with Kurt Angle as Koba?

I was limited to casting out of Pittsburgh, most of these fighters. I honestly wanted to get someone from Russia to come over to Pittsburgh and live with us and have to be there for the amount of time that I needed them, but it was a hard thing to do. It just came down to, in the end, making a decision based on what my options were at the time.

I was concerned about casting Kurt because of his WWE background. I was really bumping up against putting him in the movie because of that. ... and in the end, I was actually really happy with Kurt. I thought he did a great job.

Incidentally, Edgerton bears quite a resemblance to UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen. Were you looking for that?

I wasn't casting him to do Chael Sonnen, that's for sure. Someone had brought that to my attention, actually. ... but that's a coincidence.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shoot - how did we miss this?

I would have enjoyed seeing this for free. Of course, I'm not signed up for stubs, so there you have it.
    'Warrior' Free Screenings Program Deemed a 'Success' by Lionsgate, AMC Theatres
    5:55 PM PDT 9/1/2011 by Kimberly Nordyke

The mixed martial arts drama, starring Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton, was seen by more than 17,000 people in advance of its Sept. 9 release.

Lionsgate and AMC Theatres said Thursday that more than 17,000 people attended free advance screenings for mixed martial arts drama Warrior via the AMC Stubs rewards program.

The screenings, which took place at 90 AMC theatres in 47 markets nationwide Wednesday, marked the first time AMC has offered a free advance screening to AMC Stubs members.

Deeming the partnership a "success," Lionsgate and AMC said tickets were snapped up quickly after they became available to on Aug. 12, with a majority of location filled to capacity.

Lionsgate exec vp exhibitor relations and operations Mike Polydoros said the promotion helped raised awareness of the film since the invitation was extended to more than 1.5 million AMC Stubs members.

Sun Dee Larson, vp film marketing and communications at AMC, added that response from rewards program members on the exhibitor's Facebook page and Twitter feeds was positive.

FILM REVIEW: 'Warrior'

Warrior, which opens Sept. 9, stars Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton as estranged brothers who find themselves on a collision course to face off in a mixed martial arts contest.

Jennifer Morrison and Nick Nolte also star in the film, directed by Gavin O'Connor.

AMC Stubs members pay $12 a year to receive benefits like a $10 AMC Stubs reward for every $100 spent at AMC and free upgrades on popcorn and fountain drinks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens this Friday

Tom Hardy captures his pain to unleash 'Warrior'
    Michael Ordoña, Special to The Chronicle
    Sunday, September 4, 2011
    Lionsgate

Tom Hardy trained in mixed martial arts and put on 25 pounds of muscle to play a fighter in "Warrior." "The only thing I had any understanding of was the alcoholism, the addiction side of it," the actor says.

"Warrior" brings the pain. But though it is steeped in the sometimes brutal world of mixed martial arts, its most significant battles are emotional.

"This is not a fight movie," says star Tom Hardy, who asserts that the film is really about "family suffering." He quotes a friend: " 'Harm comes from the weak and hurt people' ... people trying to express themselves in this much pain; really needing to, wanting to express they care, but not having been shown care or love, not understanding what care or love are."

Hardy is nearly unrecognizable in "Warrior," especially to those who know him as the slight, scheming clone of Jean-Luc Picard in "Star Trek: Nemesis" or the roguish chameleon in "Inception." The Londoner who describes himself as not particularly athletic trained diligently in mixed martial arts and put on 25 pounds of muscle to play tattooed, rage-consumed Tommy Riordan.

Tommy is one of the estranged brothers among the fighters in a high-stakes cage-match tournament; the other, Brendan (major Australian star Joel Edgerton), returns to the ring because of his family's dire financial straits. Meanwhile, Tommy is forced to reunite with their abusive, alcoholic father, Paddy (Nick Nolte, in an awards-worthy performance), to train.

"As I soon as I read it, I thought, 'I'm never going to get this part,' " Hardy says. "You need Chuck Norris for this! The whole thing was out of my depth. This was a guy who was American, a Marine, a cage fighter; the only thing I had any understanding of was the alcoholism, the addiction side of it. The family dysfunction, I get that, I'm at home with that subject as an artist. So that was the in. The trouble was I couldn't convince anyone I was American or a cage fighter."

Director and co-writer Gavin O'Connor ("Miracle") says: "What I was looking for that (Hardy) had was a vulnerability. That was very important; a certain amount of pain that I felt Tom had in real life that if he was willing to let translate to the character was going to be very potent. Tommy does dastardly things over the course of the film; he's living a lot of anger, but you need to know that's coming from a place of abject pain."

"He's got no skin," Hardy says of Tommy. "He's running from everything. He can't sit still. Yeah, he fights for country, they say; I'm not completely sold on that. I think he fights for a father figure. He fights to be held. In the noise, within the ring, in the world of combat, there's a silence in his head; that's where he finds his peace of mind. Paradoxically. He's gone through his own father, through the Marines, through America. He's somebody who's close to his mother, brought up by his mother, failed by fathers. It's a struggle to survive. There's a desperation."
    Looking for unknown actors

O'Connor wanted unknowns to play the brothers. Hardy and Edgerton had great resumes abroad but weren't yet known stateside - "Nemesis" was a box office failure and "Inception" hadn't been released, and even "Star Wars" fans probably didn't realize the guy playing young Uncle Owen (Edgerton) in the prequels could do more than look like a youthful version of the original actor.

"Joel, as a person, has a lot of integrity," the director says with a big smile. "He's a gentleman. He's a guy you want in your foxhole. But I also needed a guy you could believe, when he was younger and living his lower self, he was a guy who'd rough it up in bars."

It helped that Edgerton holds a black belt in karate, but ironically while the "unathletic" Hardy's Tommy is an unstoppable engine of destruction, Edgerton's Brendan seems hopelessly overmatched in every fight, relying on guts and technique. O'Connor describes Brendan's story as "wish fulfillment," considering his attempt to "literally fight his way out of debt."

"In fighting, you can look at statistics and you see how much they weigh, what their reach is; in MMA it's how big your fist is. But you can't measure a man's heart," O'Connor says.

"My mantra to all my fight choreographers was, 'If it hasn't really happened, it's not going in the movie.' They showed me the fight - it was in Japan, where (MMA star) Rampage got knocked out and ended up with his head through the ropes. I said, 'That's how Tommy knocks out Mad Dog!' So that's what we did for all the fights."

Bringing a different kind of authenticity to the film is Nolte. O'Connor counts the two-time Oscar nominee with well-publicized substance-abuse issues as a friend - the two are neighbors - and had crafted a role for him in his previous film, "Pride and Glory," but knee surgery forced Nolte out.

"When we wrote 'Warrior,' we wrote that part for Nick; it was never for anybody else to play that part," says O'Connor. "Nick just had to be willing to take his heart out and put it on the table and show all the pain and all the regret, all the sadness, and tap into his own truth, his own drinking. If he was willing to do that, just go to a real truthful place, it would break your heart. ... He went there."

Hardy says: "I don't know him well enough to take his inventory, but I know he carries a wealth of knowledge about this subject. I'm an alkie myself. I'm a fully paid-up member of that crew. When you have that in the family, there is chaos and pain.

"I think what's beautiful about what Nick does is he shows the entire range of guilt and shame and amendment and ultimately the authentic journey for one to actually redeem himself. Paddy has a desperate amount of love, and he's made a terrible, terrible mistake. It's a very informed performance, incredibly vulnerable - heartbreaking watching him get kicked in the heart over and over again." {sbox}

Warrior (PG-13) opens Friday at Bay Area theaters.

To see a trailer, go to www.warriorfilm.com.
    More to come...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    going to watch it this friday. Look forward to it.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.