Thread: IWUF gongfa?

IWUF gongfa?

Came across this on IWUF website on grading and I saw this about gongfa:

(5) Gongfa events: long-pole wrestling, bare-handed sparring on stakes, bare-handed sparring on logs (based on the required events set in "Wushu Gongfa sport lessons" endorsed by the Chinese Wushu Association);
    (6) Weight classification of combat events and Gongfa events
    1) 32Kg (≤32Kg)
    2) 40 Kg (>32Kg≤40Kg)
    3) 48 Kg (>40Kg≤48Kg)
    4) 52 Kg (>48Kg≤52Kg)
    5) 56 Kg (>52Kg≤56Kg)
    6) 60 Kg (>56Kg≤60Kg)
    7) 65 Kg (>60Kg≤65Kg)
    8) 70 Kg (>65Kg≤70Kg)
    9) 75 Kg (>70Kg≤75Kg)
    10) 80 Kg (>75Kg≤80Kg)
    11) 85 Kg (>80Kg≤85Kg)
    12) 85 Kg and above (>85Kg)

IV. Age Classification
    1. Group A: 13 years old and under
    2. Group B: 14 to 17 years old (including 17 years old)
    3. Group C: 18 to 35 years old (including 35 years old)
    4. Group D: 36 to 59 years old (including 59 years old)
    5. Group E: 60 years old and above

Now gongfa is such a generic term meaning literally fist method, could anyone explain what is it about under IWUF interpretation? I would presume this what they are trying to do is to bring traditional martial arts into the modern fray.

Talking Gongfa?

You are thinking of Quanfa, that means fist methods. Gong can be translated to several things(I like skill due to effort) but what they are referring to is the type of skill that is supposed to be trained by all kung fu guys/gals and that is weapons, rooting, etc.. and making "events" around those skills. Excellent idea btw. It really weeds out a lot of lazy kung fu guys who have forgotten the basics because if you dont have a good foundation you can't compete. They could have gotten a little more "extreme" and gone with weapon's sparring on bleachers(which is awesome btw) but one step at a time i suppose. The only problem i see is the fact that it wont catch on because many cannot do it and will just say how stupid it is.

Well, I got that info off IWUF site, which is why I want to know more about it since there is little coverage on it.

this is nothing new. it has been done thousands of years ago.

basically, you have to step on poles. you may wrestle or fight, whoever falls off the poles, loses.

there are a lot of timing and balance difficulties added.

but a safer way to practice or play would be just draw circles on the ground

your steps/feet have to be within circles. if they are out, you lose.

gong fa just a name, they use it for these sets of games/competition.

you have to have a gong or very good with practicing standing and stepping on the poles first.

it is not for everyone.