Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ip Man and what he said

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I do wonder if Ip Man EVER used the word 'block'? Because it is not represented in any of the curriculums I have studied. In fact, I would go as far to say 'blocks' simply do not exist in Wing Chun. Parrying, yes, head on blocks, no.

And if I read anymore 'discussion' about whether tan, fook or bong 'strikes' I might just lose the will to live! These are core concepts that relate to everything in Wing Chun, not just the hands. I refer to them as the 'seeds' of WCK. Where everything grows
    Maybe you need to read more closely I never said bong tan fook were strikes.

I use the term block because it's easier to use that word than parry, deflection or indirect block.

Ip Man and what said

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1102201][QUOTE=lance;1102149]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

joy chaudhuni , are you the Sifu of the templewingchun ? Are you the sifu which is pictured in the middle of the rest of the other WC intructors ? The next time you connect with Ho Kam Ming Sifu , ask him if he was training with a Au Sifu
    ( stanley Au ) ? The reason why I ' m asking you is because your post seems to have the answers , that ' s why .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Lance- I am or try to be. Augustine Fong is my sifu.Ho Kam Ming is my sigung and he learned directly from Ip Man... hours and hours and years and years of private lessons. He goes back and forth.. Macao, HK, a township on the mainland and Canada.He is in his late 80s now. I have not seen him for several years. Is this the Au sifu who learned from WSL or a different Au? HKM sigung knows/knew lots and lots of wing chun folks.
    I don't know about answers but I am committed to a long term wing chun path. I don't make my living from wc., but I do it daily and have done so since 1976.
    Thx and good wishes,

joy chaudhuri
    PS: I enjoy reading your comments on the forum.
    Hello Joy , thanks for those kind words , your sifu Fong is a good sifu , I ' ve seen him perform in a tournament in the california area . He also learned Hung Gar &
    Choy li fut styles and has a very sharp (good ) lion dance group . And I also heard that Sigung Ho Kam Ming himself learned from Ip Man privately . and the Sifu that my 2 - friends had learn wing chun from ? Is Sifu Au keong and may know Sigung
    Ho Kam Ming . Also Sifu Robert Yeung , because at one time Sifu Yeung went to visit Sifu Au ' s class , and my friend also talked with him and found out about the taining in Hong Kong when they were learning from Ip Man alone . Sifu Au has retired and allowed the students under him at that time to teach on their own if they wanted to , my 2 - friends also had their own class until they got old and retired and selected 2 = students to teach and carry on their wing chun classes .

But Joy , the thing is that Ip Man had alot of students learning under him so to me it ' s hard sometimed to remember their names . And somebody mentioned too that it all depends on how well these students were able to absorb the teachings of Ip Man too , which to me is true too .

But joy , you seem to be doing well in your Kwoon too with assistant sifus too .
    Are you hispanic ? Later on I post more information about Wing Chun .

Take Care

[QUOTE=lance;1104054][QUOTE=Vajramusti;1102201]
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post

Hello Joy , thanks for those kind words , your sifu Fong is a good sifu , I ' ve seen him perform in a tournament in the california area . He also learned Hung Gar &
    Choy li fut styles and has a very sharp (good ) lion dance group . And I also heard that Sigung Ho Kam Ming himself learned from Ip Man privately . and the Sifu that my 2 - friends had learn wing chun from ? Is Sifu Au keong and may know Sigung
    Ho Kam Ming . Also Sifu Robert Yeung , because at one time Sifu Yeung went to visit Sifu Au ' s class , and my friend also talked with him and found out about the taining in Hong Kong when they were learning from Ip Man alone . Sifu Au has retired and allowed the students under him at that time to teach on their own if they wanted to , my 2 - friends also had their own class until they got old and retired and selected 2 = students to teach and carry on their wing chun classes .

But Joy , the thing is that Ip Man had alot of students learning under him so to me it ' s hard sometimed to remember their names . And somebody mentioned too that it all depends on how well these students were able to absorb the teachings of Ip Man too , which to me is true too .

But joy , you seem to be doing well in your Kwoon too with assistant sifus too .
    Are you hispanic ? Later on I post more information about Wing Chun .

Take Care
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Hi Lance- I am of Asian Indian origins..a Bengali from Kolkata-I go back from time to time mostly through Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangok or Singapore stop overs> I have met Sifu Yeung of Honolulu years ago and he knew my sifu.I continue to work on my wing chun.I am interested in other martial arts but a version of Ip Man wing chun is my core and good enough for me.
    Good wishes, joy
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 06-14-2011 at 09:22 PM.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1104108][QUOTE=lance;1104054]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

__________________________________________________ ___
    Hi Lance- I am of Asian Indian origins..a Bengali from Kolkata-I go back from time to time mostly through Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangok or Singapore stop overs> I have met Sifu Yeung of Honolulu years ago and he knew my sifu.I continue to work on my wing chun.I am interested in other martial arts but a version of Ip Man wing chun is my core and good enough for me.
    Good wishes, joy
    Joy, I never knew you were Bengali. I had students and lots of Bengali friends in Detroit.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

[QUOTE=Phil Redmond;1109223][QUOTE=Vajramusti;1104108]
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Joy, I never knew you were Bengali. I had students and lots of Bengali friends in Detroit.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Phil- as Bengali as they come. Kolkata(calcutta) was founded on 3 villages. One of them Gobinda pur was founded by Gobinda Dutta- a distant relative from a different part of the very extended family. I will be visiting India later this year but probably won't make it to Bengal.
    I hope to see some other martial arts-probably some sword (talwar)work.
    Lots of Bangladeshis in Detroit. I am from West Bengal... same language tradition.
    If I lived in Kolkata I would open a school there but no point in having one in absentia.

joy