Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man and what he said

Ip Man and what he said

This has been thrown around a bit, what Ip Man really said, who he really trained, who he give the "real stuff" too, and blah, blah, blah...
    I really don't pay attention to it or follow it that much, but I do have a question:

Ip Chun is Ip Man's son right? his heir right?
    Doen't he have the "real" Ip Man WC? and doesn't he KNOW who his father trained and what his father said and so forth?
    Wouldn't HE be the one with the "real history" ??

Just curious.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

If you have the coin my friend I'm sure Ip Chun will tell you anything you want to know!

And in fact, it is through his work with Foshan City council that the Ip Man Tong was created, and whatever the 'true history' is, it will be evident right there.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1093670]This has been thrown around a bit, what Ip Man really said, who he really trained, who he give the "real stuff" too, and blah, blah, blah...
    I really don't pay attention to it or follow it that much, but I do have a question:

Doen't he have the "real" Ip Man WC? and doesn't he KNOW who his father trained and what his father said and so forth?
    Wouldn't HE be the one with the "real history" ?---------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bits and parts of it -yes.The whole picture? No. He and his brother Ip Ching can say and have said that their father trained with Leung Bik...and other things their father or did when they were young. But Ip Man left them in Foshan in 1950 and took his daughter who was to be married in Macau.
    Ip Chun and Ip Ching were not around their father from 1950 to 1962. In 1962 Ip man was winding down his teaching.

joy chaudhuri

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1093686]
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This has been thrown around a bit, what Ip Man really said, who he really trained, who he give the "real stuff" too, and blah, blah, blah...

Wouldn't HE be the one with the "real history" ?---------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bits and parts of it -yes.The whole picture? No. He and his brother Ip Ching can say and have said that their father trained with Leung Bik...and other things their father or did when they were young. But Ip Man left them in Foshan in 1950 and took his daughter who was to be married in Macau.
    Ip Chun and Ip Ching were not around their father from 1950 to 1962. In 1962 Ip man was winding down his teaching.

joy chaudhuri
    AH, see, I didn't know that.
    Very interesting.

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1093688]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

AH, see, I didn't know that.
    Very interesting.
    I had heard similar, mainly that Ip Chun didn't start his formal learning until he was in his thirties because he was left in Foshan for over a decade. It;s actually great to have guys like Joy post here too with his facts!

Of course, you knew Ip Chun and Lee Shing were good friends right? For a while anyhow Ip Man asked Ip Chun to stay in touch with Lee Shing in the UK to continue his training and he often stayed in his own home when visiting for the earlier seminars here.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1093740]

I had heard similar, mainly that Ip Chun didn't start his formal learning until he was in his thirties because he was left in Foshan for over a decade. It;s actually great to have guys like Joy post here too with his facts!

Of course, you knew Ip Chun and Lee Shing were good friends right? For a while anyhow Ip Man asked Ip Chun to stay in touch with Lee Shing in the UK to continue his training and he often stayed in his own home when visiting for the earlier seminars here.
    Cool.
    So, who did have the most time under Ip Man? it seems to have been WSL, yes?

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1093745]
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

Cool.
    You are joking right? Depends on what you mean by 'time'...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1093764]

You are joking right? Depends on what you mean by 'time'...
    Honest question.

No. I don't believe WSL to be Ip Mans longest serving student. But I am sure others here can name more and some will insist he was...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

No. I don't believe WSL to be Ip Mans longest serving student. But I am sure others here can name more and some will insist he was...
    I see.
    So it truly is a difficult thing to confirm many of these things then?

Wouldn't HE be the one with the "real history" ??

Just curious.
    My students know more WC than my sons. Being blood to a Sifu doesn't guarantee that you got all the goodies. That really applies when the sons don't come on the scene until the later declining years of the Sifu and have never fought to test their art.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-04-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    My students know more WC than my sons. Being blood to a Sifu doesn't guarantee that you got all the goodies. That really applies when the sons don't come on the scene until the later declining years of the Sifu and have never fought to test their art.
    That makes sense.

[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;1093745]

Cool.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Sanjuro-

Older generation give face to others. So no other name mentioned except Ho Kam Ming.
    He started after the first few students but studied with Ip Man the longest.

Most intense continuous daily private lessons every day for over 7 years and then corrections and
    analysis and conversation even to IM"s last day..

Phil is correct. My good students know more wing chun than my sons do-though I lugged them around for instruction in their early years.
    My dad was a top f;ight doctor and I came from an extended family of doctors- but I didn't want to do what Dad did- till later and too late to my considerable regret-I learned a lot from him later when I brought him and mom to live with me.

I don't market my sifu or sigung (or myself)- they hold their own. I just comment when I think that there is something factual about them-being overlooked or misrepresented.
    All Ip Man wing chun lineages got something from Ip Man- and I respect that.

joy chaudhuri

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1094021]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Sanjuro-

Older generation give face to others. So no other name mentioned except Ho Kam Ming.

Most intense continuous daily private lessons every day for over 7 years and then corrections and

Phil is correct. My good students know more wing chun than my sons do-though I lugged them around for instruction in their early years.
    My dad was a top f;ight doctor and I came from an extended family of doctors- but I didn't want to do what Dad did- till later and too late to my considerable regret-I learned a lot from him later when I brought him and mom to live with me.

I don't market my sifu or sigung (or myself)- they hold their own. I just comment when I think that there is something factual about them-being overlooked or misrepresented.
    All Ip Man wing chun lineages got something from Ip Man- and I respect that.

joy chaudhuri
    Well said Joy, as always.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1094021]
    Hi Sanjuro-

joy chaudhuri
    I PMd Sanjuro that it was Ho Kam Ming. There's nothing like the truth eh?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr