Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
Good point. Maybe you could say, "Jack of many trades and master of one"? Regardless, I often disagree with John's observations on WC based on his experiences nearly 40 years ago. But his input is interesting. Sometimes an outsider perspective is a good thing.
So which art is he a "Master" of?
Okay, I will say that he is akin to someone with a Liberal Arts Degree, a broad based educational approach and a basic knowledge of several things.
In comparison someone who trains in Wing Chun for a good number of years and develops some skill could be akin to someone completing a graduate program in a specific subject area.

What would happen if someone with a degree in Liberal arts tried to lecture a Professor in the subject he had obtained a degree?
While they may have some insight which could be helpful they do not possess the depth of knowledge or experience of someone trained in their specific curriculum. I am reminded of the story of a brilliant math major who was on the fast track to fame in their field. They thought they found some flaws in their instructors equations, but the reality was that they simply had not advanced enough to fully follow their teachers equations. This is often the case in many things but particularly when someone tries to instruct those who actually do the subject of instruction.

Now with that being said that does not mean I feel John does not bring anything of value to this forum, just that he does not know as much about Wing Chun as he may think.