Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Nice clip

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    There is some truth here. 3 is irrelevant though; you impose your style regardless of what the opponent is doing provided your underlying principles are better than theirs.

The main problem with wing chun in sport is that it doesn't work with gloves on. Wing chun trained with gloves becomes something else because power generation wearing gloves is different. Wing chun power is like a spear. Gloved power is like a ball and chain or mace. Utterly different.

Also the mental model of distance and timing is destroyed when you move from gloved to ungloved or vice versa. Since most wing chun train ungloved they aren't going to do well in gloves.
    You really have a strange hang up on gloves. I train in 6 oz mma gloves all of the time and the less than 1/4 inch of padding makes absolutely no difference to range or timing, it also has no impact on power as power isn't generated in the hand it simply reduces the level of impact / damage caused which is entirely the point.
    As for imposing your fight strategy onto the opponent, that is easier said than done especially when you are being attacked from angles that you are unfamiliar with.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Couple of points from me
    1) stamping kicks to the knee are not allowed in either MT or MMA by any of the main governing bodies.
    2) virtually 100% of the wing chun that I see taught, demoed or shown on the internet relies upon the punch as the primary weapon. It seems incongruent to me that many of those who so openly declare that the punch is the focal point of the system also claim that wing chun can't be used in competition because of limitations imposed by rules.

The main reasons for me that wing chun doesn't work well in the sport environment are that
    1) wing chun relies upon a high pressure style that is difficult to sustain for prolonged times against evasive opponents
    2) linked to 1, wing chun is designed to deal with aggressive opponents not chase down someone who doesn't want to fight
    3) wing chun is so unique in terms of approach that to be effective in mma etc sparring partners from other arts would be required to replicate the type of opponent that will be faced and they aren't normally readilly available to your average wing chun club.
    watch Jones or Silva both make extensive use of the front and side kick to their opponents knees...and the side kick is a stamp through the knee, frank Trigg has made a career out if trying to hyperextend peoples knees with kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    watch Jones or Silva both make extensive use of the front and side kick to their opponents knees...and the side kick is a stamp through the knee, frank Trigg has made a career out if trying to hyperextend peoples knees with kicks
    I was under the impression that those kicks were allowed because they were aimed at the thigh not the knee. I definitely recall commentators saying as much at various times, however I have checked the rules of the UFC and concur that they do in fact permit (by not prohibiting) stamps to the knee.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Blog Entries
    1) stamping kicks to the knee are not allowed in either MT or MMA by any of the main governing bodies.
    I have always believed that the most effective 1st attack could be the "knee stepping". It's a 45 degree downward force. You don't pull your leg back as a regular kick, but to put all your body weight on it. In San Shou and San Da, direct knee joint attacking is not allowed.

There are many advantage for the "knee stepping".

- You put your opponent in defense mode.
    - Your leg touch your opponent's leg and create a "leg bridge".
    - You don't have to worry about that your opponent may catch your leg.
    - If you miss it, it won't affect your balance.
    - You can use it to set up your 2nd "foot sweep".
    - Your kick will give you a chance to "enter".

A WC guy used his "reverside side kick" to step on his opponent's shin and sent his opponent to the hostiple. When you have shoes on and you use the inside edge of your foot to slide down long your opponent's shin bone, you can cause serious damage. To step on the knee in front or side way could be even worse.

2) wing chun is designed to deal with aggressive opponents not chase down someone who doesn't want to fight.
    It doesn't matter what style that you train, if your opponent just moves around (or moves back) and refuses to get into punching range, there isn't much that you can do. One day a good friend of mine said, "If I just keep moving back, there is no way that you can get your head lock on me." His comment had bothered me for quite some time. In order to prevent your opponent from moving back, you have to "grab" on him and pull him toward you. Just to stick on his arm won't be enough. The Chi Shou that I had learned include to pull my opponent into my punch (a head on collision).

To be honest it is quite hard not to be chased down ...
    Here ia an interest test. Ask your opponent to throw jab and cross at your head. You use 45 degree downward right hook, left hook (or right haymaker, left haymaker) and see if you can use your circular punches to "interrupt" your opponent's linear punches.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-25-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Here ia an interest test. Ask your opponent to throw jab and cross at your head. You use 45 degree downward right hook, left hook (or right haymaker, left haymaker) and see if you can use your circular punches to "interrupt" your opponent's linear punches.
    Why downward hooks particularly?

Blog Entries
    Why downward hooks particularly?
    Because you need your arms to be able to intersect with your opponent's arms.

Because you need your arms to be able to intersect with your opponent's arms.
    Why would you be interested in hitting the arms of your opponent?

Blog Entries
    Why would you be interested in hitting the arms of your opponent?
    There are many reasons. To interrupt your opponent's chain punches is one.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.

There are many reasons. To interrupt your opponent's chain punches is one.
    Wouldn't you be better off just hooking him as hard as possible in the chin (if you are throwing hooks)?

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't you be better off just hooking him as hard as possible in the chin (if you are throwing hooks)?
    Sometime when thing just happen so quickly that your opponent suddently jumps on you, you haven't decide whether you want to hurt your opponent or not. The best way is to "clear your territory (don't let anybody to be too close to your body)" by your kick or haymaker, and still remain to be outside of the striking range. You can then decide whether you want to eat your opponent alive, or just run like hell.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-26-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Sometime when thing just happen so quickly that your opponent suddently jumps on you, you haven't decide whether you want to hurt your opponent or not. The best way is to "clear your territory (don't let anybody to be too close to your body)" by your kick or haymaker, and still remain to be outside of the striking range. You can then decide whether you want to eat your opponent alive, or just run like hell.
    I am happy to hurt anyone that jumps on me. Safer that way I think