Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yang Style Tai Chi

Quote Originally Posted by skyjhand View Post
    Does anyone have a list of the Yang style forms? I know the hand movements go up to 103 movements (knowledge from Wikipedia), however I don't know if there are other hand forms or weapon forms under the Yang style tree.
    There is so much smoke, mirrors, dog and pony videoshows regarding Yang style taijiquan, its reality, who is the real Yang stylist, is it Yang Style of Yang family that one usually ends up with mental batcrap,enough to drive one crazy for the next 2 million years! And that is an understatement!

Do you actually mean the amount of postures in a form? As an example, The Beijing 24 shi taijiquan (n=24) actually contains about 17 unique postures depending on how they are counted.
    The Yang (Style of Family) allegedly has 103-108 but in reality it may be around 75 since the 85 (82 -85) postures has around 70 unique postures depending on how they are counted.

Just find someone who you can teach and learn form that person then count postures later. Enjoy the ride!

2017 Yang-style Tai Chi International Invitational Tournament, Jinzhong, Shanxi

Tournament gathers global tai chi fans in Jinzhong
    ( chinadaily.com.cn )
    Updated: 2017-07-18

Participants in the 2017 Yang-style Tai Chi International Invitational Tournament perform tai chi, an ancient Chinese martial art, in Jinzhong, Shanxi province, on July 15. Yang-style Tai Chi has a history dating back some 170 years and was created by Yang Luchan from Hebei province. His descendants have developed and promoted his martial art with 36 Yang-style Tai Chi centers operating all around the world. [Photo/Xinhua]

An Australian tai chi enthusiast demonstrates his moves during the tai chi tournament in Jinzhong, Shanxi province, on July 15. The event, which took place from July 15 to 17, attracted more than 1,300 participants from China, Australia, Japan, Iran, and Malaysia. [Photo/Xinhua]
    Not much news here really, but an excuse to ttt this thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ye Yongxiang

'master finds online lessons hard to deliver' Yeah, well, we all figured that out with videos back in the 80s. Tell us more about VR.

Chinese tai chi master finds online lessons hard to deliver
    Ye Yongxiang, a sixth-generation tai chi master, says the internet is a great way to promote Chinese art to the world
    PUBLISHED : Thursday, 02 November, 2017, 3:03pm
    UPDATED : Thursday, 02 November, 2017, 10:40pm
    Celia Chen

Internet technology can satisfy many demands in China, but if you want to learn traditional tai chi online, there are limitations, according to Ye Yongxiang, the sixth generation tai chi master of the widely performed Yang-style form.
    “I am always thinking about how to take advantage of technology for tai chi demonstration and promotion,” said Ye, at the Credit Suisse China Investment Conference in Shenzhen on Wednesday, where she was a speaker.
    The young master, who is committed to promoting the martial art, launched a series of online video lessons on tai chi on Mixiong.TV, a popular live streaming platform in China, in February.
    Tai chi is a form of martial art exercise that emphasises inner peace and strength through calm breathing and seamless body movement.
    “Without tools to simulate face to face interaction, I can only teach some basic movements such as how to breathe smoothly or how to stand erectly,” said Ye.
    Ye said that virtual reality and augmented reality technology are not mature enough to offer an immersive digital environment that can allow her to take tai chi lessons to the next level.
    But she said that the internet is definitely a great way to clear misconceptions and promote tai chi and other Chinese traditional arts to the world.
    Wang Xiyuan, 35, a tai chi aficionado, said she seldom follows online videos while practising. “I watch the videos to appreciate the beauty of the art and enjoy the peace it brings to me,” said Wang.
    “I do not think I can make the movements precisely by following the videos and I may hurt myself without the guidance of a tai chi master.”
    Whatever the shortcomings of technology, some famous personalities and tycoons are keen followers of the art.
    Jack Ma, founder of Chinese tech giant Alibaba, is devoted to promoting tai chi with his big-screen debut, Gong Shou Dao, or The Art of Attack and Defence.
    Ma assembled a team to realise his decade-long dream of becoming a tai chi master, and he unveiled the movie’s poster on his microblog account, showing him surrounded by the other stars. The movie will be released on November 11, synonymous with the online shopping extravaganza known as Singles Day in China.
    Alibaba owns the South China Morning Post.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Ye

Tai Chi Goddess? 70,000 fans? Ye will deserve her own indie thread if there's another news report on her.

Tai chi goddess: Young master teaches ancient martial arts online
    CGTN | Updated: 2017-11-16 10:00

[Photo/CGTN]

The Chinese martial art form of tai chi is centuries old. And the Yang-style is the most popular in the world.

Today, A young tai chi master, Ye Yongxiang, has started teaching the practice online, in order to share the time-honored martial art with people around the world.

With her serenity and elegance, Ye Yongxiang is known inside China's vibrant cyber community as the tai chi goddess.

Her educational videos have earned the young tai chi master a strong following of over 70,000 fans. Ye Yongxiang says her aim is to reveal the essence of this time-honored martial art.

"Actually the essence of kung fu is not about glamour and razzle-dazzle. Behind the spectacle, is endless sweat and hard work," Ye Yongxiang said.

Born in the mid-1980s in Shanghai, Ye Yongxiang first learned about tai chi from her mother, a professional martial artist. She began formally training at the age of eight and has shown steadfast dedication to mastering the martial art.

[Photo/CGTN]

Before starting, CGTN asked whether she could endure the hard work. She first said nothing and just nodded her head. Then she gave an affirmative answer.

"For a time I even forgot how to move my legs while walking, because tai chi requires footwork that is different from our everyday gait. I found the experience rather disorienting and wondered whether I should keep learning tai chi. But gradually I came to see tai chi's beauty. Getting rid of the physical inertia gave me a sense of liberation. I gained a new perspective on things," Ye said.

After graduating from a top sports academy in Shanghai, Ye Yongxiang worked as a tai chi instructor.

In 2014, she competed in the Hong Kong Wushu Championship. After earning gold medals in all three main tai chi events, Ye became China's youngest tai chi master.

Determined to share tai chi with a wider audience, she then went to study humanities at the Queen Mary University of London.

Ye Yongxiang said: "tai chi is more than a set of martial skills. It embodies a coherent code about how to live and how to conduct yourself. It's not merely about kicking and punching. It's a mental process."

For Ye Yongxiang, tai chi is a way to integrate the body and mind. In pursuing the wholeness of the self through tai chi, she has come to learn perseverance, forbearance, and focus.

Early in 2017, Ye Yongxiang set up her own tai chi studio in Shanghai.

[Photo/CGTN]

Tapping into the country's fast-growing online community, she began using video streaming to teach the martial art. But the plan didn't run smoothly at first. "I felt a lot of stress when I first started my studio. There's a lot of rejection," she said, "Some suggested that I'm too young and lack seniority. And some simply dismissed me as nothing but a pretty face."

Thanks to her precise, accessible language and multi-angle demonstrations, Ye Yongxiang has been able to gradually build a solid fan base. Her Weibo account now has more than 70,000 followers and Ye's online interactions with university lectures have attracted thousands of young people to the ancient martial art.

Through her two decades of learning and teaching tai chi, Ye Yongxiang has observed a shift in people's attitude towards the tradition, which used to only be valued as a form of physical exercise.

"Taiji has never been something static, and it will continue to adapt as time changes. We are living in a world of many temptations and distractions. You have to build a very strong inner self. Sometimes people might feel inadequate to cope with life. I've found tai chi very life-enhancing and satisfying," she said.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Is Taiji too slow? READ Yang Taijiquan at Medium Speed by Michelle Lin

THREADS:
    Yang Style Tai Chi
    Is anyone else paying attention to the YMAA Retreat Center program?

This piece is in conjunction with Challenges in Preserving Traditions in Modern Times: Lessons learned from a multi-year martial arts training program By Michelle Lin in our WINTER 2019 issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yang Jun - The Belt and Road China Tai Chi Culture World Tour

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips