Thread: Knights at the John & Mabel Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota FL

Knights at the John & Mabel Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota FL

Knights
    When: Feb 3, 2019 – Apr 21, 2019
    SPECIAL EXHIBITION FREE WITH MUSEUM ADMISSION
    Where: Museum of Art
    Searing Galleries

Drawn from the superb collections of the Stibbert Museum in Florence, Italy, this extraordinary exhibition reveals the figure of the European knight in the Middle Ages and Renaissance through over 100 exquisite objects, including full suits of armor, helmets, swords, and other weaponry. The exhibition explores the function, history and craftsmanship of these exquisite objects, focusing on themes of love and war, jousts and tournaments, and the 19th-century revival of interest in medieval knighthood. A fully-illustrated catalogue will be available.

This exhibition was organized by Contemporanea Progetti in collaboration with the Museo Stibbert, Florence, Italy.

Support for this exhibition was generously provided, in part, by the Arthur F. and Ulla R. Searing Endowment, the William G. and Marie Selby Foundation Endowment, and the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art Foundation.

Paid for in part by Sarasota County Tourist Development Tax Revenues.
    Another exhibit from the Museo Stibbert in Florence, which I visited last August. The last one was Knights in Armor at the Bowers Museum, Santa Ana, CA, which I was hoping to get to but did not.

I've been tracking Arms & Armor Museum Exhibits and this Knights at the John & Mabel Ringling Museum of Art sounds like another good one.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Here's more

Viewpoint Lecture: Knights, Arms, and Armor

When: February 16th
    @Time: 10:30am
    Price: $10 / $5 Members & Students
    STUDENT DISCOUNT TICKET REQUIRED
    Where: Historic Asolo Theater

Dirk H. Breiding, The J.J. Medveckis Associate Curator of Arms and Armor at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, will provide an introduction to knights, arms, and armor and will highlight key objects from the special exhibition Knights.

ViewPoints are made possible in part through the generosity of the Lester E. Bessemer and Mary Tilley Bessemer Endowment and the Siemer Family Ringling Museum Education Endowment.
    Anyone here near Sarasota that might check this out? I'm wondering if it's the same collection that was just at the Bowers. It must be. I'm sure it costs a fortune to ship all those pieces across the ocean and the timing is right.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart