Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
Boston crab vid:

A perfect example of why strikes have to be incorporated into your wrestling/grappling game. Yes, it is hard to get. Did you notice that he said "if your man pushes you back with his legs" as part of the set up? Well just what do you think might get him to do that? Strikes and hip-to-hip pressure, that's what. Both of which - working together - is also a setup for a fall back heel hook that he won't be be able to stand up on...or a fall back achilles...or a step over toe hold.
What do strikes have to do with the Boston crab setup? I mean I'm not arguing the point of incorporating strikes in training, but just don't see it in this scenario.

Coming back to base:

And just what do you think the reason was that he demoed this against someone not using low hips (like wrestlers, like what Cecchine advocates, etc.) ??? Because in today's grappling/mma world most guys are on their knees from cross chest side control in order to work for mount. Not to mention the fact that getting a double wristlock or a top wristlock from side control is easiest done from the knees (or at least a tripod type position).

And as for other types of escapes from side control - including against low hips - you can rest assured that the man in question knows a number of them. But this vid was about the other scenario - as well as if someone has your back.
there wasn't really any reason to demo this escape against no pressure from the top, and with enough of a hole on top to drive a semi through. that's not a scenario that comes up rolling with anybody with fundamentals, and if they don't have fundamentals, why bother videoing a demo against it?

No good grappler I know of (bjj, sub wrestling, catch, freestyle, sambo, etc.) leaves those kind of holes, even on their knees. Just because you have your knees under you doesn't mean your hips can't be low, and it's really poor grappling posture to have that much space on top.

We don't really know what the guy knows or what he doesn't, just the video he puts out there.

Rolling around:

Was it some sort of tournament atmosphere? No. Was it good stuff nonetheless? Of course it was.
My point there was not whether flow rolling is good stuff or not. It's an important piece to developing fluidity from one position to another. This is true in any grappling art, bjj, catch, sambo, etc. It's good to see flow rolling.

Here's an example of something that is not quite flow rolling - it's not tournament going after it pace, but genuine pressure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1kLYq2noc8

Can you see how there's more competitive resistance in that clip?

My point was I'd like to see competitive grappling clips like that out of those guys training as well - not just flow rolling.

In a class setting, if you do flow rolling to warm up, then progress in your matches to more competitive rolling, that is a great scenario for consistent training.

And btw...

Watch what Sakuraba does at about 40 seconds into this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnEFL...eature=related
Sakuraba is fighting out from competitive pressure in that situation. There's a huge difference between that and the demo. The demo the guys says "you never want to be on your back you always want to be on your side", then turns to his side with the guy on top on all fours. Not even down on his elbows.

Also, notice the difference in detail execution between Sak and the demo. The demo guy has his top arm to his chest and his down arm on the opponent's hip. Sak has his down arm not on the hip, but swims both under to give him leverage for the hip heist going to the back.

That is a key detail missing in the demo, and the exact key detail that is the difference between it working under pressure and in a live situation and it not working.