Thread: Goat Restraining or Pigeon Toed Stance

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    I am gonna go out on a limb here and I hope it's not too much flame bait: But to fight in YGKYM ( feet parallel with toes turned in ) has to be the silliest thing I have ever heard of. Anyone who does that has never been in a real fight before. I have seen some lineages 'say' they fight in YGKYM but what they were really doing was standing in a prefight ready position, that was outside of the opponent's punching and kicking. I have never seen or heard of anyone stand in YGKYM go toe-to-toe blow-for-blow. I have seen fighting pigeon toed stances where one foot was forward and one back but that's not IMO YGKYM.
    Of course fighting from a fixed position as you describe is ridiculous. You are skipping the entire strategy part of the equation here. On top of that, it's important to recognise how ygkym translates into multiple footworks via engagement angles and facings. And how it comes into play when broken structure of an opponent has been had and superior positioning/leverage comes into play.

Ygkym is where all other stances are born.
    Last edited by duende; 05-25-2011 at 11:38 PM.