I have no say in WC matters, as I've never tried it.....yet...but I do agree that Full Contact (even if you must wear gear ) gives you invaluable experience and knowledge.
I haven't had too much full contact training yet, but have been in more than enough scuffles (pre-KF training) to know that it is completely different than punching the air...
Plus, I think its a great way to find out what you need to work on. My techniques may look great in form/practice, but will I be able to execute what I need, call upon my learning when I need it most??? And how better to really bring to my attention what I need to work on than a good bop to the face
My father taught me to swim by tossing me in the deep end of the pool, he had worked with me a little bit on the basics in the shallow end, where it was only to my chin, but he wanted to see if I retained what I learned when I needed it. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. and I think full contact training is the same. You learn some stuff, then you test it to see what works, what doesn't, and what else you need. After a while, it becomes instinct, and that is what its all about.

BTW....I am really enjoying this thread