Thread: Cung Le: How much of his fighting style can be attributed to Kung Fu?

Threaded View

Cung Le: How much of his fighting style can be attributed to Kung Fu?

Cung Le just won his 4th victory in MMA, improving his record to 4 - 0, 4 KOs with a TKO win over Tony Fryklund at Strikeforce/EliteXC: Shamrock vs. Baroni.

The Fight: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O8JOU4WD

Post Fight Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcH-SD8LvEc

He dazzled the audience, pummeling Fryklund with nearly every kick imaginable, until Fryklund could no longer take the body shots, doubling over which left him open to being knocked out in the 3rd round by a flurry of strikes by Le.

His is regarded by many as the most spectacular striker in Mixed Martial Arts, a sport that rarely sees his level of skill with there even being a widely held belief among many fans that Traditional Martial Arts are inapplicable to realistic combat.

I've seen images of Cung gracing several covers of Kung Fu magazine. The discipline he represents in MMA is San Shou, a Kung Fu oriented combat sport the Chinese military trains where in competition he was undefeated professionally and the IKF Lightheavyweight World Champion.

What I want to know is how much of his skill parallels what is learned in traditional Kung Fu? I know there are many styles for instance one of the most well-known schools in my area is Shaolin Kung Fu taught by master Dennis Brown.

From what I have read Cung Le's skill set consists of:

- Training in a Vietnamese style of Kung Fu

- A Tae Kwon Do Black Belt

- All-American High school and Collegiate Wrestling credentials

- Muay Thai

- San Shou

- Training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at American Kickboxing Academy

I don't know too much of about San Shou at the moment. I have only seen a handful of matches most notably Cung Le's K-1 matches and a few of Lui Hailong's fights.

I've heard that the throwing techniques in San Shou are derived from Shuai jiao, a Chinese style of wrestling.

Can anyone tell me based on what they know of Cung Le's skills what aspects can be attributed to or parallel Chinese Martial arts?
    Last edited by MysticNinjaJay; 06-30-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Replaced dailymotion link with megaupload