Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cung Le: How much of his fighting style can be attributed to Kung Fu?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    to this day, I don't understand why cma people find cma fighters and try to see if they can atrtribute what they do to them being pure cma, or how much cma they use in their fighting.
    Because boneheads like you always say, well, he studied wrestling for 4 years so it wasn't his kung fu that earned him the win.

And everyone always forgets Onassis Peraguno using Hung Gar in his UFC 7 win.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

they didn't forget, they just don't know how to spell "Onassis Peraguno"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Because boneheads like you always say, well, he studied wrestling for 4 years so it wasn't his kung fu that earned him the win.

only because you CMA freaks swear he is a pure cma when he is not. 10 years + of wrestling, san shou, muay thai, black belt in tkd and kung fu training does NOT equal pure kung fu. If you let go of the pure cma dreamworld and see that, then there would be no issue at all.

LOL, I knew you or someone would bring him up. He has trained FMA all his life, but I digress...remember in his post here he said himself that he did use hung gar and that fma is forever ingrained in him also. still not pure cma. He is a cma though - that's not what I debate about.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    And this would be?
    I saw a WEC fight with Alix Karolexis. Don't remember who he was fighting, but he ended up loosing a point for stoming him in the stomache when his opponant was on the ground. Alex tried to throw an axe kick but failed due to fatigue. "Real kung fu" would not have called it a failed ax kick. It would have been a very deliberate stomp, and probably not to the belly, to hell with the lost point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

This silly topic pops up a couple times a year.

All this is just silly-talk.

Punches, kicks, knees, elbows have very little to do with style, race, nationality, number of years in X, Y, Z. You don't borrow speed from one style and power from another each time you kick someone. What ridiculousness.

Its about training hard with a good group/teacher. The rest is internet bunk.

Post a clip of someone who fights exactly like another person. Even if you found one, those people wouldn't be from the same school or even part of the world most likely.

If Cung Le's skill has to do with "kung fu" then where are the other kung fu fighters from the same teacher and school? I bet you will find other MMA fighters from the same teachers and schools.

Not very interesting.

strike!

I was listening to Joe Rogan speak on the Beatdown about Cung Le's style.

He says he is thoroughly impressed with him and described his style as reminicient of Tae Kwon Do, but incorporating power into strikes that would traditionally be lighter in a point fighting match.

Another thing people are noticing is that Cung takes a South paw stance. I wonder if he is actually left handed.

If not those side thrust kicks he does with his lead leg are being done with the power leg, making his style very unorthydox and deadly.

Tony Fryklund is going to be icing his bruises every day for the next week.

As for CMA purity, I'm not interested in whether or not an MMA fighter is a purist but rather if the are using CMA techniques effectively.

If you throw a spinning back fist or spinning heel kick effectively and you learned it from Kung Fu training than you are using Kung Fu, regardless of whether you are an All-American Wrestler or train in BJJ to defend on the ground.

If you throw a spinning back fist or spinning heel kick effectively and you learned it from Kung Fu training than you are using Kung Fu....

Bull.

You would be using your leg/foot.

No one grabs "kung fu" takes it into the ring, and bashes people with it.

"Kung fu" is merely a collection of chinese training methods.

When someone gets a tap from a headlock, they are not using "grappling" they are using their arm to choke the opponent. What if you learn a "kung fu" technique from some random American that trained in China for a year?Is it still "kung fu" when you then train your ass off and pull out the technique after having never stepped foot into a Kung Fu school?

Craziness.

Styles do not fight.

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post

Another thing people are noticing is that Cung takes a South paw stance. I wonder if he is actually left handed.
    san shou/san da was originally all done south paw. As we've moved into the "kickboxing world" we've all switch to "orthodox" but Cung reverted back it seems because he knows how to use it and it is messing with a lot of the MMA guys
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    If you throw a spinning back fist or spinning heel kick effectively and you learned it from Kung Fu training than you are using Kung Fu....

Bull.

You would be using your leg/foot.

No one grabs "kung fu" takes it into the ring, and bashes people with it.

"Kung fu" is merely a collection of chinese training methods.

When someone gets a tap from a headlock, they are not using "grappling" they are using their arm to choke the opponent. What if you learn a "kung fu" technique from some random American that trained in China for a year?Is it still "kung fu" when you then train your ass off and pull out the technique after having never stepped foot into a Kung Fu school?

Craziness.

Styles do not fight.

Funny you say that but give credit to Muay Thai when it is a Muay Thai technique. If that is the case, just say it was a kick, or a punch, or flying serpent pulls out his ***** and shines opponents head with it (that can be found in Wing Chun) DOUBLE STANDARD.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    only because you CMA freaks swear he is a pure cma when he is not. 10 years + of wrestling, san shou, muay thai, black belt in tkd and kung fu training does NOT equal pure kung fu. If you let go of the pure cma dreamworld and see that, then there would be no issue at all.

LOL, I knew you or someone would bring him up. He has trained FMA all his life, but I digress...remember in his post here he said himself that he did use hung gar and that fma is forever ingrained in him also. still not pure cma. He is a cma though - that's not what I debate about.
    Seven,

I think the original thread was what techniques does he use from Kung Fu, not that he is a pure CMA. I think anyone who knows anything about Cung Le knows he is not pure CMA, but trying to credit the fact that he does use techniques found in Kung Fu. Regardless of what you say seven, flying serpent shines his ***** on opponent's head is part of Kung Fu. The technique is brilliant, really.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

huh?

you could replace "kung fu" with "muay thai"and had the same post.

Funny you say that but

Funny you say that without a quote.

strike!

huh?

you could replace "kung fu" with "muay thai"and had the same post.

Funny you say that but

Funny you say that without a quote.

My apologies, I meant that for Sevenstar.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I saw a WEC fight with Alix Karolexis. Don't remember who he was fighting, but he ended up loosing a point for stoming him in the stomache when his opponant was on the ground. Alex tried to throw an axe kick but failed due to fatigue. "Real kung fu" would not have called it a failed ax kick. It would have been a very deliberate stomp, and probably not to the belly, to hell with the lost point.
    I was trying to figure out what he was talking about. I liked his answer though.

honestly, does it really matter. The guy has a collective background in MA. He trains hard for what he has acomplished. If he uses whatever techniques so be it. Styles are going to claim whatever they can, to bolster themselves, in the end all that matters is he is talented and uses his techniques efficently. He's fun to watch.

Craziness.

Styles do not fight.
    Cars don't race, either. But driving a slow one doesn't get many wins, even if you are the greatest driver in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I was trying to figure out what he was talking about. I liked his answer though.

honestly, does it really matter. The guy has a collective background in MA. He trains hard for what he has acomplished. If he uses whatever techniques so be it. Styles are going to claim whatever they can, to bolster themselves, in the end all that matters is he is talented and uses his techniques efficently. He's fun to watch.
    I agree, styles are going to claim what they are going to claim. But you will find that fighters that are trained thuroughly in a spacific will have similar fighting stratagy to other fighters of that discipline. And a "kung fu" discipline is very, very likely to make the winning strike regaurdless of wether it is "legal". Alix is a messy fighter, stragagy wise, but a great technition. It's always fun to watch him fight because you know he's going to get alot of warnings, loose points, or get tapped or KO'ed for doeing something risky...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it