Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
I look at it this way, why train to learn dozens(or even more) of kicks, blocks, punches, stances, etc? If you get into a fight, the human mind just cannot process that much info that quickly.
Of course it can. Do you realize just how many cells there are in the human body? There are trillions upon trillions of cells. I've seen some that estimate it as high as 100 trillion. All those cells need constant regulation all the time. This is all done by the subconscious mind. This regulation is done by parallel processing and the interconnectivity of the nervous system. Compared to that, dozens of moves is nothing. It is possible to use your subconscious in learning the moves. First off, it helps to see the underlying anatomical movements shared by each of those moves. After that, it requires meditation. Controlling your thoughts, so you can quiet them enough to hear the subconscious feelings and thoughts each cell of your body is sending to the brain via the nervous system. Somtimes these messages aree symbolic and other times, it's literal. You just have to take the time to figure out what each one is. They won't always be the same.

The subconscious mind is designed to be subservient to the conscious mind, but it requires reprogramming to get it to where you want it to be. And the capacity to do that is why the subconscious is subservient. Take getting over a fear, say heights. For some people, the will of their conscious mind is strong enough that, after repeatedly getting up high, they get used to it and they stop reacting negatively in an involuntary way. For some, it takes other methods, but it's still the conscious mind overriding the subconscious by repeatedly going over the same thing to reprogram it. The same thing happens when you learn a move good enough that it happens on reflex. That, too, is an example of the conscious mind reprogramming the subconscious.

This level of self-control helps to reign in the involuntary actions one might normally expect from excited situation, so they remain just as calm, as if they just had a good night's sleep. After this, you stop trying to force your conscious mind to remember the moves and allow your subconscious to remember it. The reason why they say the brain can hold a wealth of information is the redundency of the memory creations, using different parts of the brain. One memory is not just in one part, but is duplicated in numerous sections.

But, this is why I said in another thread this was a reason why you don't see a lot of artists, particularly internalists, in MMAs. They're too busy perfecting their own skills and mental discipline much of the time to compete. Also, after getting rid of subconscious programming that's a hinderence to both their lifestyle and their fighting skills, a lot of what drives and reinforces the ego goes away because they found the causes for such actions, understand why they are that way and have dealt with it, which allows them to move on because that particular drive no longer exists for them. It has literally vanished. It goes back to the idea of it not being important that other people see you can do something, that what matters most is that you know you can do it, which is taught to a lot of kids and teenagers, as they're growing up.

It's why BJJ is so effective; they have just a few basic positions, and the first goal is to attain the best one possible. Then you either go for a sub or improve position. Once you get a dominant position and establish a base, you go for the sub or the ground and pound. It's the same thing everytime! That's the beauty of it, it's simple. Your mind does not have to process through a multitude of blocks, punches, etc. It just has to think of a few positions, and then submissions.
Boxing and Muay Thai are similar, but they are stand up arts. Both just have a few strikes to learn, you just get better at knowing which one is the best at the given time. You don't have dozens of strikes from dozens of stances to process through in a fight.
After a while, when you look at the underlying similarities between the moves of different styles or even if one styles has lots and lots of different combos of moves, they really simplify into a far fewer number to your brain.

As for your quote above, I guess you must have a pretty good MMA record huh? Or you must have trained some good MMA fighters. hmmm...
I've trained against MMA people before. I've trained with grapplers and wrestlers. But, it still primarily comes down to mental discipline and self-analysis. There is a lot of psychotherapy involved to root out potential hinderences.