Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Victor putting on a good demonstration of WC?

Well...I guess it is time for you to show us something on vid, now isn't it?

What do ya' got, shaw...???

Anything?

Good or bad, show us something !!!

Watch carefully the first 5 seconds of the 2nd vid again. In response to his attacking punches, I did: bil, pak, pak, bong, gum...(the gum/pining hand was to the back of his left elbow)...

and then the wu sao accompanying the bong became a palm strike to his face with my left hand.

(And yes, if you really look carefully, you can see that the wu sao actually started to lop before he withdrew his left arm - opening up the path for the wu/lop to immediately become the palm strike).

And right on the money, actually. But when you've got thin, semi-fingerless gloves on and throw a palm towards a cage of metal bars: ouch!

But that's alright. They were actually the best examples of purely wing chun combos used on all three vids, imo.

Btw...I've observed that if you watch those first 5 seconds with the sound off (eliminating any noise distractions)...you notice the moves I'm talking about more distinctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=win-6R7_JrM
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-21-2010 at 10:15 PM.

dude. Someone says you don't know vt so you show a video trying to get others to back you up. Nice trolling but not taking the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    In your opinion, is this a good representation of how WC is applied in a full-contact situation?
    If you saw someone sparring like this, what would be your opinion of his knowledge of WC? Which, if either of them is performing good WC techniques?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftHkJClhQ0
    I have difficulty calling that full-contact sparring. Why are they wearing all the protective gear when both guys are using much less than full power? Moreover, you can tell that Victor's partner isn't even genuinely fighting back in some instances. And why does the fighting stop and restart? That is play fighting.

But, you do see ALL kinds of outside fighting bad habits, including reaching for punches, little-to-no head movement, off-balance punching, etc. A good boxer (or good fighter) would chew these guys up. If they are going to box, they should go train at a good boxing gym and learn how.

All the "I saw a bil sao!" aside, this is precisely what I mean by "WCK kickboxing" -- kickboxing and tossing in every now and then a WCK movement. Is this what you train to do? Is this WCK's approach to fighting? Do you even need to learn and practice WCK to do THAT? Of course not. You'd be better off just going to a good kickboxing gym and learning how to kickbox well.

ummm - looked like pretty standard light to medium stand-up Sparring™ with some low-intensity clinch / ground work;

if u want to call it WC, hey, whatever; just further indication that when u actively spar, u stop "looking" like a given style and more like the consequence of what entails "natural" human movement in a given context;

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Not exactly the best single leg I've ever attempted, but that is what brought about the takedown. He lost his balance because I took his leg, lifted it, and pressured forward - and also made possible because the punches were backing him up and putting him on his heels.

Admittedly, since I wasn't driving into him with the proper penetration you'd want to see (or a transition to a double leg)...I lost my balance also; but as you said, being faster, I recovered before he had a chance to counter.
    im sorry but you fell over that was not a single leg takedown it was a slip and fall

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    im sorry but you fell over that was not a single leg takedown it was a slip and fall
    But splendid technique in slipping and falling nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    ummm - looked like pretty standard light to medium stand-up Sparring™ with some low-intensity clinch / ground work;

if u want to call it WC, hey, whatever; just further indication that when u actively spar, u stop "looking" like a given style and more like the consequence of what entails "natural" human movement in a given context;
    nicely put, why all that gear when they are going light is beyond me, those body protectors and head gear make grappling all but impossible you would be better off wearing boxing gloves and doing away with that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    But splendid technique in slipping and falling nonetheless.
    LMAO true, and the ground stuff was...well i find it hard to put it into words

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I have difficulty calling that full-contact sparring. Why are they wearing all the protective gear when both guys are using much less than full power? Moreover, you can tell that Victor's partner isn't even genuinely fighting back in some instances. And why does the fighting stop and restart? That is play fighting.

But, you do see ALL kinds of outside fighting bad habits, including reaching for punches, little-to-no head movement, off-balance punching, etc. A good boxer (or good fighter) would chew these guys up. If they are going to box, they should go train at a good boxing gym and learn how.

All the "I saw a bil sao!" aside, this is precisely what I mean by "WCK kickboxing" -- kickboxing and tossing in every now and then a WCK movement. Is this what you train to do? Is this WCK's approach to fighting? Do you even need to learn and practice WCK to do THAT? Of course not. You'd be better off just going to a good kickboxing gym and learning how to kickbox well.
    You must really hammer Alan in private then.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    You must really hammer Alan in private then.
    LOL! I hammer everyone!

You should look at Alan's DVD to get a good idea of why he does what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    In your opinion, is this a good representation of how WC is applied in a full-contact situation?
    If you saw someone sparring like this, what would be your opinion of his knowledge of WC? Which, if either of them is performing good WC techniques?
    From the clips I get the general feeling that the idea that both players have studied or drilled any Wing Chun is highly unlikely.

I suggests dropping all the other training and just drill some decent Wing Chun for 6 months and then post another clip!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

It was fine.
    It was medium contact at best, didn't look like anyone was trying to KO the other person, just hit hard enough to keep it honest.
    As the fight progressed, Vic seemed to be more comfortable, though he hurt his hand on the face mask.
    The single leg was an attempted take down that worked cause they fell, but nothing to be proud of as Vic admits.
    He got the mount and controlled it from there.
    This is what WC typically looks like when fought "free style" and VS a bigger opponent.
    Is it a good demo?
    Well, it was a sparring match and not a demo, so no, not a good demo, but a fair representation of Vic's WC in a contact environment with gear.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This is what WC typically looks like when fought "free style" and VS a bigger opponent.

I really, really hope you are joking!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

I really, really hope you are joking!
    Please show us a clip of a smaller WC guy fighting a bigger one that looks different.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !