Thread: WCK is attached fighting

Threaded View

Yung Chun posted this quote from Niehoff...

...I don't read Niehoff's posts anymore - but when others quote him, then I might - and this one from Terence Niehoff is absolutely amazing.

The stuff in Phil Redmond's vid that Terence says is pretty good and similar to what he (terence) now does is EXACTLY the kind of thing in the past that Niehoff would RIP APART as things that would never work. Just amazing!!!

So when Jim (YungChun) wrote this, he was spot on:

"I am convinced reading this and other things from you that I have no idea what you are talking about... Much of what you write seems erratic..one day a little of this, the next a little of that..."

Now here's the quote from Niehoff:

"Let's say my opponent's arms are between us. I am not going to try and just hit him in the head through his arm (since he can hit me too), so I will hit his arms (daap) -- in this way, I stop his ability to hit me (jeet). But, my hit is to break (chum) his structure via his arms.

For example, look at Phils' clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTOZ2iQbiL4 that's not bad and it's similar to something we do, but he is not hitting the opponent with his body structure through the bong sao. If he hit with the bong sao, he would drive his bong sao, like a punch, into his opponent's arms, trying to drive it into the body of his opponent (and if the opponent dropped his arms, he'd just get hit with an elbow). See form, hit form. Ideally, the strike will break his opponent's body structure. That's dap, jeet, chum all in one action. And it's not WCK kickboxing. It's all WCK movement, implementing the WCK faat (game plan).

Once I'm in contact, I stay in contact, trying to control my opponent while I strike him."

***SO I FIRST WANTED TO POINT OUT THE DISENGENUOUS NATURE OF TERENCE NIEHOFF - THE GUY IS OBVIOUSLY "WINGING IT" FROM POST-TO-POST, WEEK-BY-WEEK, MONTH-BY-MONTH, YEAR-BY-YEAR...

and is just a flame thrower who really has no foundation to what he does as a wing chun guy/martial artist - and hence the constant changes and bombastic attitudes.

And now I want to address the specifics in his above post that he says Phil is lacking - and point out the errors in his (Niehoff's) approach to how to "fix" what Phil is allegedly doing wrong.

Niehoff assumes that he can break the opponent's structure by use of his own superior "body structure" - crashing the guy's punch into his chest through use of the bong sao (again, referring to the scenario covered in Phil's TWC clip)...

in other words, if the wing chun guy had only HIT THE GUY HARD ENOUGH and had done so WITH THE PROPER BODY STRUCTURE - then the bong sao and ensuing moves would have dominated the guy and beaten him easily.

THIS IS BULL5HIT.

Because as usual, it's a half-truth...which means the other half is a lie.

I can do this kind of thing often myself, and have done so (and so can you, reader) - if you're up against someone smaller or weaker than you. Or perhaps against someone the same size as you - or even a bigger guy who doesn't know how to fight.

Now referring back to my vids: how often do you think the Niehoff approach (THAT IS, THE NIEHOFF APPROACH OF TODAY - BECAUSE TOMORROW HE MIGHT BE 180 DEGREES AWAY FROM IT)....

how often could ANYONE do that against a much bigger and stronger opponent who does know how to fight. To reiterate once again: the guy in the vid with me stands 6'3" and weighs 210...

to my 5'10"/170.

Niehoff shoud show us a vid of himself giving away 40 lbs. and 5 inches against a strong guy who knows how to fight - and doing what he says Phil Redmond should have done.

You know, one of the reasons why I started the wing chun-enigma-streetfighting thread was this very thing. Organized tournaments - as good as they are - can sometimes give the untrained eye (or the very confused and bombastic brain) a false sense of reality.

When you're in a ring, cage, whatever...against someone your size - and you happen to be stronger and better conditioned - you can get away with some things that would get you creamed against a bigger, stronger, more skillful man.

Sure, wing chun is about being aggressive once you get close, and yes that includes using your body structure to keep the pressure on...but SMART wing chun also knows when NOT to push the issue and use other approaches to defeating the opponent.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 04-26-2010 at 10:23 AM.