Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun in Groundfighting

the single most comparitive thing i use is the 'frame' in bjj or 'lan' in wck

same thing, same purpose...

huen is also used a lot, especially when your in mount and they try to get you off.

i'm a complete bjj newb though, only started in January

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    the single most comparitive thing i use is the 'frame' in bjj or 'lan' in wck

same thing, same purpose...

huen is also used a lot, especially when your in mount and they try to get you off.

i'm a complete bjj newb though, only started in January
    Yes as well as siezing the elbow from side control etc. You will see more as you get more involved once not too long ago I was in my instructors mount and though he had downward pressure with the mount as he pushed on my hands he did it to the side on the one arm so I rolled my tan under and hit a quick trap where I tried to lap though there was no way that would have worked to get him off with his base though if in a real combat situation I'm sure I would have been able to pull off a hit or so granted I'm sure he could have poured down the pain being on top and all......

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Yes as well as siezing the elbow from side control etc. You will see more as you get more involved once not too long ago I was in my instructors mount and though he had downward pressure with the mount as he pushed on my hands he did it to the side on the one arm so I rolled my tan under and hit a quick trap where I tried to lap though there was no way that would have worked to get him off with his base though if in a real combat situation I'm sure I would have been able to pull off a hit or so granted I'm sure he could have poured down the pain being on top and all......
    That post pretty much shows that trying to use WC "principles" on the ground will just get you in a worse predicament.

How they say WC is a principle art many of those principles do work on the ground it's just how they are applied.....
    Or why not just use BJJ principles on the ground and WC principles standing up? Hell, doesn't even need to be BJJ. Try catch wrestling if you can find a good instructor. Why is there this need to "extrapolate" anything on the ground? Why reinvent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    That post pretty much shows that trying to use WC "principles" on the ground will just get you in a worse predicament.
    I was already mounted I'm sure doing so wouldn't have been a bad idea concidering where I was, it was like doing a trap with out structure but the sensitivity, trap and line were all there....

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    Or why not just use BJJ principles on the ground and WC principles standing up? Hell, doesn't even need to be BJJ. Try catch wrestling if you can find a good instructor. Why is there this need to "extrapolate" anything on the ground? Why reinvent the wheel?
    I just find a lot of similarities of the two thats all

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    bingo.....
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I was already mounted I'm sure doing so wouldn't have been a bad idea concidering where I was, it was like doing a trap with out structure but the sensitivity, trap and line were all there....
    Doing most things related to what you would do standing up would be a mistake when you are mounted. The main strategy is to escape the mount. Trapping is one of the tactics for doing that. However, the trapping is completely different than anything you will ever learn in WC.

I just find a lot of similarities of the two thats all
    You can find similarities between any two things if you want to find them badly enough.

AS a BJJ beginner, seeing what you learn through WC coloured glasses might help in the early stages, but after a while it gets in the way, confuses you, and slows down the learning process.

Better to approach the new art with no preconceived ideas, or, overusing a KF cliche, with an empty cup.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!