Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Kimbo gets a boxing lesson from Michael Jai White (vid)

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Touché. Yes, that is a stereotype about wrestlers, not the fact with Lesnar. But still, Lesnar's game was wrestling so you'd think he'd be at a disadvantage. Whereas a veteran streetfighter should've had an advantage in theory. Not so.
    Brock is a great athlete and has always trained with great atheltes and trainers.
    Veteran "streefighters" fight unskilled people ( typically) and as soon as the face a trained fighter, their world comes crashing down ( typically).
    Kimo lasted as long as he did because he had good trainers when he decided to compete in MMA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Veteran "streefighters" fight unskilled people ( typically) and as soon as they face a trained fighter, their world comes crashing down ( typically).
    Kimo lasted as long as he did because he had good trainers when he decided to compete in MMA.
    Exactly!

Kimbo biggest problem in MMA was he gassed too quickly! He was getting better with his ground game but, he usually gassed by the mid to late first round. I still think he had too much on his plate... He had to be slowed by too much thinking trying to digest all that was being thrown at him.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

"Koykashin"
    Do you mean Kyokushinkai?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    There's plenty of evidence of Kimbo having plenty of full-contact fights.

I dont' think there is any evidence of Michael Jai White having done so.

BTW, having a BB in Kyokushin Karate doesn't necessarily mean someone actually has experience in full-contact fighting.
    True, though the one advantage actors making money have is money and celebrity which allows them access we don't have to certain big name martial artists. For example Denzel's access to Jeff Imada for his training for "Book of Eli". I could never afford to go train personally with Jeff Imada or Dan Inosanto in private lessons, or probably even get scheduled in even if I wanted to. If they don't take the knocks and get the full contact experience it's still not necessarily going to help them though....
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

He is not on Sherdog. What a wimp.

There is no web reference of him killing anyone barehanded. Wimp.

Knifefighter hasn't seen him fight. Pure wimp.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    That's funny!

Isn't this Anderson Silva taking advice from a actor with no fight experience here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaVDFW_o1cA

I find it funny that none of the guys who ask for video about everything or it never happened ever question this?

I've met seagal and know several of his students. I know he has legit skill. I've just never posted on that thread. Personally, If I was silva, I wouldn't be training with seagal - not for fight prep. Now, if he just always wanted to learn aikido, that's one thing, but I wouldn't take it any further.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post

I find it funny that none of the guys who ask for video about everything or it never happened ever question this?
    that has been talked about here. If I remember correctly, it was knife who said the 500 and 0 thing was bunk.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
    When browsing his styles on Wikipedia, it listed 5 striking styles. Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Kyoshukin, Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do. Everyone knows Tae Kwon Do is influenced from Karate, and Tang Soo Do as well. Even if the Koreans refuse to admit it. So I would imagine someone who achieves a high level rank in one Kyoshukin would have an easier time training in Goju Ryu or Shotokan.
    They will acknowledge that TSD has japanese influence. TKD was their attempt at making a sportive style that was expressly korean. There was at one time a huge political war between the heads of TSD, which is what prompted the split and creation of TKD, if I recall correctly. So, tkd has an indirect japanese influence as it is an offshoot of a korean style derived from a japanese style.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    on his website he says Koykashin was his first style and got his first blackbelt at 12 then got other blackbelts in other styles
    Then yeah that one I would question
    I have a signature.

Well, I am going to add fuel to the fire here and say this: Everyone in the world has something to share.

I've been in martial arts for 16 years, does that mean I am not qualified to say something slightly beyond the obvious? Does the corner of my world have to wait for another Cung Le before we can even talk about Sanda?

I teach Geography to students, but I am no Charles Darwin nor am I going to find some uncharted area in Africa. So does that mean they cannot learn Geography from me?

I watch my child play with her friends in the sandpit and I see how they squat to pick up things, I replicated the same action for my squats and I get better results, they are no physiotherapist, are they wrong in their squatting for not having graduated in Human Physiology major?

I am sorry, but I am not going to tell my 5 year old daughter she got no right to say that A is for Apple because she is not a qualified teacher.

Micheal Macdonald hired Tokey Hill to train him for K-1 in 2002 and won! So is Tokey Hill, a sports karetaka a fluk?

Quote Originally Posted by jungle-mania View Post
    I watch my child play with her friends in the sandpit and I see how they squat to pick up things, I replicated the same action for my squats and I get better results, they are no physiotherapist, are they wrong in their squatting for not having graduated in Human Physiology major?
    How so? How do they squat? Just curious.

naturally.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Touché. Yes, that is a stereotype about wrestlers, not the fact with Lesnar. But still, Lesnar's game was wrestling so you'd think he'd be at a disadvantage. Whereas a veteran streetfighter should've had an advantage in theory. Not so.
    not really, lesnar is used to fighting top level guys, and wrestling contains way more contact than people like to admit, crossfaces, hand offs etc all feel like punches

where as kimbo was fighting largly useless untrained guys

the strep up in level of competition was too great for him, for lesnar it wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Brock is a great athlete and has always trained with great atheltes and trainers.
    Veteran "streefighters" fight unskilled people ( typically) and as soon as the face a trained fighter, their world comes crashing down ( typically).
    **** should have read this and saved myself the trouble of posting

Well enough about Kimbo. I want to see Michael Jalil White fight now after all his instruction to Kimbo.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man