Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Kimbo gets a boxing lesson from Michael Jai White (vid)

Quote Originally Posted by jungle-mania View Post
    I watch my child play with her friends in the sandpit and I see how they squat to pick up things, I replicated the same action for my squats and I get better results, they are no physiotherapist, are they wrong in their squatting for not having graduated in Human Physiology major?
    absolutely! - kids have no business squatting without having first received proper instruction in it, and if I were you I would put a stop to it immediately - who knows what other dangerous, unsupervised activities your daughter has been emulating from her friends - throwing a ball? playing hopscotch? jumping rope? for pity's sake, get a handle on the situation before something really terrible happens, and your kid starts playing spontaneous pick-up games of dodgeball or ultimate frisbee!

if you don't believe me, just consider that I have a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and work full-time in pediatrics with children of all ages; as such, I work with children who luckily have not been able to figure out on their own how to skip, and have therefore avoided picking up any bad and even potentially harmful habits; fortunately, since I have a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, when I teach them to skip they are afforded a rare opportunity to acquire the skill from a truly Evidence-Based Medicine perspective; (I chuckle at the other grown-ups and children who have "figured it out on their own" , and are unable to appreciate that when I skip, because I have a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, it's not at all the same as when they do it);

I will pray for you and your daughter's speedy recovery...

it hurts!!!!!!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I've met seagal and know several of his students. I know he has legit skill. I've just never posted on that thread. Personally, If I was silva, I wouldn't be training with seagal - not for fight prep. Now, if he just always wanted to learn aikido, that's one thing, but I wouldn't take it any further.
    Why not?

If he can teach you something to make you a better fighter... why would you not train with him? If Anderson Silva is training wit Seagal he obviously sees something Seagal can bring to his fight game!

I don't know... people always say they are open to new techniques or anything that can compliment their game, yet you say here you would not take Seagal's advice! I'm pretty sure you'd be open to any advice Anderson Silva gave you though...

I just don't get it...
    Last edited by jmd161; 07-09-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Exactly!

Kimbo biggest problem in MMA was he gassed too quickly! He was getting better with his ground game but, he usually gassed by the mid to late first round. I still think he had too much on his plate... He had to be slowed by too much thinking trying to digest all that was being thrown at him.

i think his knees are too banged up as well to make a good effort

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i think his knees are too banged up as well to make a good effort
    I noticed his legs were considerably small compared to his upper body... I had a co-worker who looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger up top and Olive Oil below the waist.

It was so funny when he would wear short pants he was all this mass of ripped muscle up top and obviously never worked his legs.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

After catching up on this thread (Mr and Mrs Cha and little Yums had a holiday), well frankly, its been a revelation - it even drew the bombastic blade boy back to the boards.

You are all worthless and weak. First time my Daddy told me how to put up my dukes, first thing he said was, "now, don't telegraph." Gee, and my Daddy learned boxing in the Army! I guess the secret is out now!

I never realised this was one of the essential 'secrets' to striking, I grew up with it as a basic fundamental. Of course, the parlour trick does help get the message across, gotta pay that. But then again, a lot of fighting is tricks....

And anyhow, a solid touch up before a payload delivery is standard procedure.

Oh, yea - I also grew up in a universe where amateurs regularly beat professionals, so likewise, I am so totally shocked on that front, that I simply can't abide the rage!

Hey Knife, you and Kimbo are both old blokes, wanna give him a dance?

So, as opposed to ad hom arguments about people you don't know (I'm going with the odds, and hoping, given the notable exceptions already presented), why not comment on the fight science, which you do know?

So, back to post one - hand's up for who thinks this is bad advice, or wrong? Its not a complete style, not a condemnation of alternatives, simply a tip and and a tool to add to the box.

But as Sanjuro so aptly put, if you don't use a telegraph to fake and set up, you don't belong in there playing with the big boys.

What makes a top pro a top pro? The ability to learn and improve? So, if you are at the top, how do you learn? Crawl over the bodies of those in front of you, sure, but is that it?

Can someone not at your level teach you something? I think its foolish to think otherwise.

As foolish as it would be to think one piece is the whole puzzle.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    absolutely! - kids have no business squatting without having first received proper instruction in it, and if I were you I would put a stop to it immediately - who knows what other dangerous, unsupervised activities your daughter has been emulating from her friends - throwing a ball? playing hopscotch? jumping rope? for pity's sake, get a handle on the situation before something really terrible happens, and your kid starts playing spontaneous pick-up games of dodgeball or ultimate frisbee!

if you don't believe me, just consider that I have a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and work full-time in pediatrics with children of all ages; as such, I work with children who luckily have not been able to figure out on their own how to skip, and have therefore avoided picking up any bad and even potentially harmful habits; fortunately, since I have a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, when I teach them to skip they are afforded a rare opportunity to acquire the skill from a truly Evidence-Based Medicine perspective; (I chuckle at the other grown-ups and children who have "figured it out on their own" , and are unable to appreciate that when I skip, because I have a Masters of Science in Physical Therapy from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, it's not at all the same as when they do it);

I will pray for you and your daughter's speedy recovery...
    HAHAHAHAHA! LMAO! BTW ouch!

That was really funny to read in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    naturally.
    kudos, just like what my masters use to tell me, kids have the most natural way of breathing and actions. He told me when we train qigong and our basics, we ae focusing back to how we were like we were young.

I will say that if anyone wanted to observe this, please be aware that one might be branded a pedophile for staring at kids intently in playgrounds for long period of time and possibly be in a legal aftermath. Explaining that is your kungfu research to the judge might not cut it.

We must remember that Kimbo, with all of his experience, which would be more than most people posting here, took the time to listen to Michael's advice. Meaning, that he saw something useful that he could learn from Mr Jalil.

The same is true with Anderson Silva and Steven Seagal.........

Just a thought........

That's deep, bro.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    We must remember that Kimbo, with all of his experience, which would be more than most people posting here, took the time to listen to Michael's advice. Meaning, that he saw something useful that he could learn from Mr Jalil.

The same is true with Anderson Silva and Steven Seagal.........

Just a thought........
    or he was being polite and really thought something else...we will never know

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Why not?

If he can teach you something to make you a better fighter... why would you not train with him? If Anderson Silva is training wit Seagal he obviously sees something Seagal can bring to his fight game!

I don't know... people always say they are open to new techniques or anything that can compliment their game, yet you say here you would not take Seagal's advice! I'm pretty sure you'd be open to any advice Anderson Silva gave you though...

I just don't get it...
    it's a principle called specificity. even though tennis builds explosiveness and strong legs, I wouldn't train tennis to get ready to compete in the 100m dash. If I am prepping for an mma bout, I am training with mma guys, not tennis pros, aikidoka, home run kings, etc.

perfect example, aikido focuses greatly on wrist locking, no?

1. chasing arms is bad for mma
    2. with all of the tape and gloves, the wrist is being held in a straightened position - wrist locking will likely be harder.

the silva / seagal vid show wrist locking - probably wouldn't work well. I think there is also an app where he hits the base of the neck - illegal in mma. so now, he'd be training techniques outside of the allowed skillset - he'd be training to get himself DQ'ed.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    or he was being polite and really thought something else...we will never know
    I doubt that any of those two men would be that polite not to let their true emotions out.

You don't speak Portugues, so you did not catch it, but Silva seemed impressed by Seagal's abilities.

As for Kimbo, then I believe that he appreciated the benefits of one minimizing one's telegraphing of given attacks. It just makes sense that a fighter would be interested in any additional abilities and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    It just makes sense that a fighter would be interested in any additional abilities and information.
    unless, of course, it came from an "irrelevant" style...

the silva / seagal vid show wrist locking - probably wouldn't work well.
    I agree with all the tape and gloves probably wouldn't...

I think there is also an app where he hits the base of the neck - illegal in mma. so now, he'd be training techniques outside of the allowed skillset - he'd be training to get himself DQ'ed.
    My friend who speaks Portuguese said in the clip Seagal asked if the technique to the base of the neck was legal and Silva replied yes!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun