Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Preying Mantis - GM Henry Sue - Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Well, I'm gonna smoke a fat blunt of God Bud right now! This one here is for my son MysteriousPower aka CHI! Thats what we call him at home.
    forealz???

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    thanx... lol... made my day... thats some funny shlt...

the end with the old man is the best part... guy loves to punch mhimself in the gonads while chain smoking... all day long im sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    thanx... lol... made my day... thats some funny shlt...

the end with the old man is the best part... guy loves to punch mhimself in the gonads while chain smoking... all day long im sure...
    That vid of father and son Ip is priceless......
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I never said "deadly" and was not referring to "compliant" drills...but since you brought up the topic.

If you pair up two unskilled people to do a drill, chances are they will never learn how to do it properly and to get the maximum benefit. They will, however continue to show up in class, pay the monthly fee's and be content to be led by the nose and learn nothing more than dancing.

The only way drills work work is if one person has a greater understanding of what is or should be happening during the drill, that way they can ramp up power, speed and technique in a controlled way so the other person can get the maximum benefit of the drill.

What these guys got was INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION time with their teachers so thier techniques could develop....and it shows. ;-)

- jo
    and again this is the problem, people are happy to post demos and drills but no one will post actual sparring or fighting clips, your clips actually make the situation even worse, it seems there are whole schools out there willing to post dozens of clips (so much for it still being a secret style) but none of the art in free flow fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and again this is the problem, people are happy to post demos and drills but no one will post actual sparring or fighting clips, your clips actually make the situation even worse, it seems there are whole schools out there willing to post dozens of clips (so much for it still being a secret style) but none of the art in free flow fighting

That is what I was thinking. It does not matter if a grandmaster is doing the compliant drill or a novice of two days because it is still the same kind of training. The idea that somehow a "secret" drill(actually just a different variation or a drill emphasizing a certain skill/force) trained millions of times along with all the others will make you an effective fighter is a myth. Cameras have brought this to light. Now deadly practitioners cannot claim to have fought with no proof other than, "he probably died from his wounds".

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    That is what I was thinking. It does not matter if a grandmaster is doing the compliant drill or a novice of two days because it is still the same kind of training. The idea that somehow a "secret" drill(actually just a different variation or a drill emphasizing a certain skill/force) trained millions of times along with all the others will make you an effective fighter is a myth. Cameras have brought this to light. Now deadly practitioners cannot claim to have fought with no proof other than, "he probably died from his wounds".
    the drills might or might not work, without posting actual sparring of fighting clips we have no way of knowing, my main point was people seem happy to post clips of drills and sets so the art isn't that secret so why not post clips of sparring

I did post a clip of elbow sparring using headguards in one of my last posts.
    I'll keep trawling for footage that i will post but there is very little available.
    Film though cannot show force/power. The chy sau drill in chow gar looks a doddle to do when watching it but people always get a surprise when they try it for themslves. They end up tired and aching.
    Here's some staff sparring from Chows mantis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i447eFlYZxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaDBNh3IGLA

Nice to see them actually hitting each other, but their technique is more cudgel/quarterstaff than SPM.

The guy in this video keeps the energy up in the rattaan staff and continuously hits, just like SPM hands should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ26eTK9tG8

-jo

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    I did post a clip of elbow sparring using headguards in one of my last posts.
    I'll keep trawling for footage that i will post but there is very little available.
    Film though cannot show force/power. The chy sau drill in chow gar looks a doddle to do when watching it but people always get a surprise when they try it for themslves. They end up tired and aching.
    Here's some staff sparring from Chows mantis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i447eFlYZxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaDBNh3IGLA
    all drills can be tiring, but without then translating those drills into sparring how do we know if the drills actually serve a use?

if there were clips we would see them... there arent clips because it doesnt exist... tcma can hide behind a cloak of secrecy but when the sh!t hits the fan and it comes time to show and prove that cloak wont protect you...

theres a reason we dont see tcma sportfight... and the VERY VERY few we do see enter the ring, fight like kickboxers... not like they are classically trained... if there were tcma cats sportfighting we would see the clips... somebody would film it and tcma cats would be showing everyone they could find that was willing to look at it because they are sick of being labelled as ineffective...

and the ego in tcma is extraordinary, so i dont buy this whole "the good tcma guys are too humble to show their skills in public"... yeah fukcing right... i dont buy it...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    well, then what? Do you actually think that across the board TCMA does not work, and everybody who practices it is totally delusional?
    Does that also make jiu-jutsu (not BJJ-which really isn't a complete jj system, but a specialization of ne-waza) Aikido, JMA,Silat,KMA, Kali, etc completely useless?
    Are you saying that out of everything, only MMaA a mix of muay thai,. bjj, and boxing, is the only viable technique?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

not at all... ive said many times that i believe that its the training methods, not the techniques that create this delusional complacency... if all you do is forms, you might be suprised fighting somebody with experience... you'll get the health aspects of the art, the longevity the blood flow all of that, but not so much the combat aspects... and thats okay, if you recognize it as such...

if you spar hard and take all commers, all styles, you can probably fight... i see no reason why tcma fundamentals cant be applied in the cage either... again, im critical about the way people train, not so much what they train...

i practice bak mei, love it, and i see no reason why i cant use it sportfighting or in the street... if i use it in sparring the way we do for muay thai then its golden... you just need real world experience to it any of it to practical use against a skilled opponent... i dont feel someone whos done forms and forms alone for ten years stands a chance against somebody whos tyrained hard, sparred hard for two years... less even... its just a fact of life...

thats why groups, like buk sing guys for example, have a reps of being effective, because they actually used it...

i dont feel any f what ive said is irrational or overly biased... ive really tried to be as objective as possible... esspecially having been on both sides of the whole grappling vs tcma argument... i know for a fact that people who dont have takedown defence end up on their back 99% of the time... i also know that swift fluid chinese boxing can be devastating to the most skilled opponents... so why not take the best of both worlds and actually apply it as a means of finding out how things really work...

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Are you saying that out of everything, only MMaA a mix of muay thai,. bjj, and boxing, is the only viable technique?
    Must be true....even with all the rules associated with those sports.

-jo

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    not at all... ive said many times that i believe that its the training methods, not the techniques that create this delusional complacency... if all you do is forms, you might be suprised fighting somebody with experience... you'll get the health aspects of the art, the longevity the blood flow all of that, but not so much the combat aspects... and thats okay, if you recognize it as such...

if you spar hard and take all commers, all styles, you can probably fight... i see no reason why tcma fundamentals cant be applied in the cage either... again, im critical about the way people train, not so much what they train...

i practice bak mei, love it, and i see no reason why i cant use it sportfighting or in the street... if i use it in sparring the way we do for muay thai then its golden... you just need real world experience to it any of it to practical use against a skilled opponent... i dont feel someone whos done forms and forms alone for ten years stands a chance against somebody whos tyrained hard, sparred hard for two years... less even... its just a fact of life...

thats why groups, like buk sing guys for example, have a reps of being effective, because they actually used it...

i dont feel any f what ive said is irrational or overly biased... ive really tried to be as objective as possible... esspecially having been on both sides of the whole grappling vs tcma argument... i know for a fact that people who dont have takedown defence end up on their back 99% of the time... i also know that swift fluid chinese boxing can be devastating to the most skilled opponents... so why not take the best of both worlds and actually apply it as a means of finding out how things really work...
    don't ya hate those guys who feel they have to quote the entire page..?
    QFT
    and as you say, there certainly are guys doing it.
    So, we can see when CLF guys do it, they do not really look like kickboxers-sure they do the same techniques, but they also include many key techniques from their system-gwa, cup, sow, charp, juen been, etc.
    When you use your Bak Mei, do you use key techniques from Bak Mei, or does it end up looking like everyone else.
    (and I am not referring to using key tactics, but actual techniques that are characteristic of your style.)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    don't ya hate those guys who feel they have to quote the entire page..?
    QFT
    and as you say, there certainly are guys doing it.
    So, we can see when CLF guys do it, they do not really look like kickboxers-sure they do the same techniques, but they also include many key techniques from their system-gwa, cup, sow, charp, juen been, etc.
    When you use your Bak Mei, do you use key techniques from Bak Mei, or does it end up looking like everyone else.
    (and I am not referring to using key tactics, but actual techniques that are characteristic of your style.)
    i havent really had much chance to try it against many other styles yet... i havent even been doing this system for a year... i was doing other stuff before, something or other since grade 8 wrestling...

but i dont see any reason why i wont be able to use the bak mei in a more mma or street type scenario... i would probably work the outside like a thai fighter and change my stance up when i move in to reflect the bak mei... i mean, the footwork is important, i'll have to switch between the two styles depending on the situation... i think the short power will be very useful on the inside... ask me again next year

im really looking foreward to the future and i really hope tcma plays a more active role in the whole scene, mma and all...
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-19-2010 at 06:31 PM.