Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    music should be free... you wanna make money as a musician, go on tour..
    Nice to see you feel the fruits of others labors should be free. What if others decided you should provide your skills/labor for free?

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Nice to see you feel the fruits of others labors should be free. What if others decided you should provide your skills/labor for free?
    well considering i am a musician and i have actually sold music... on CD and otherwise.... i think my opinion means just that much more than anyone else who isnt involved with the industry...

im not talking out of my ass here, and alot of musicians agree... its the pop sensations and sellouts that mostly disagree... the ones who make a significantly disproportionate amout of money compared to the effort they put in and the actual quality of their product...

well considering i am a musician and i have actually sold music... on CD and otherwise.... i think my opinion means just that much more than anyone else who isnt involved with the industry...

im not talking out of my ass here, and alot of musicians agree... its the pop sensations and sellouts that mostly disagree... the ones who make a significantly disproportionate amout of money compared to the effort they put in and the actual quality of their product...
    You do know musicians both big and small disagree on this, right?

Me, I hate garbage, prepackaged music. I love real music. Honest, I like the musicians that do put their stuff out for free to their fans and make their money touring. But that should be each musician/band's choice. It should not be mandated.

I do love music, but sadly the cream does not always rise to the top. It's sad when most American have no idea who Paul Westerberg is, but everyone has heard of Vanilla Ice.

You do know musicians both big and small disagree on this, right?

Me, I hate garbage, prepackaged music. I love real music. Honest, I like the musicians that do put their stuff out for free to their fans and make their money touring. But that should be each musician/band's choice. It should not be mandated.

I do love music, but sadly the cream does not always rise to the top. It's sad when most American have no idea who Paul Westerberg is, but everyone has heard of Vanilla Ice.
    i didnt say it should be mandated.... im saying thats the staple in music, not cd sales... and when the bubble bursts, it will again be the primary source of funds... outside of advertisement and the like, ofcourse, lots of money in selling soda and baseball hats!!!

i personally believe that people who actually make a living playing music can kiss my ass and stfu. hey pro musicians; you make a living playing music, quit bitching you sissy ass troglodytes.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ps- The Replacements suck donkey nadds, bruh....

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i personally believe that people who actually make a living playing music can kiss my ass and stfu. hey pro musicians; you make a living playing music, quit bitching you sissy ass troglodytes.
    so should a musician make more money than a fireman??? who works harder???

ps- The Replacements suck donkey nadds, bruh....
    No way!!! Blasphemy!

so should a musician make more money than a fireman???
    The market should dictate that.

The market should dictate that.
    so is that the moral choice? or the fair choice?

one gives their life for others, the other plays music... which is more valuable to society TODAY? what about the future?

i think a musician should make as much money as people are willing to go to pay to watch/hear them and buy their songs. i dont think there should or could be a standard for how much a muscian will make because its all based on the ficle nature of popularity and advertisement.

firemen are heros.

who works harder is a matter of perspective. the nature of the work is completely different. a fireman risks his life. a musician creates art.

what tastes better beer or cheese cake?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i think a musician should make as much money as people are willing to go to pay to watch/hear them and buy their songs. i dont think there should or could be a standard for how much a muscian will make because its all based on the ficle nature of popularity and advertisement.
    yeah but they NEVER do... NEVER... unless they own their own masters and produce and distribute all on their own, the artist makes the least of anyone else involved in that consumer chain... aside from the consumer themselves ofcourse...

if you think pop stars get alot, you have no idea what they gross and how much is really made and who pockets most of that money... there is nothing fair or just about it... its an industry that is reliant on the ignorance of the average consumer... and the willingness of artists to compromise their integrity to make money... something they had no chance of doing if they "kept it real"...

yeah but they NEVER do... NEVER... unless they own their own masters and produce and distribute all on their own, the artist makes the least of anyone else involved in that consumer chain... aside from the consumer themselves ofcourse...

if you think pop stars get alot, you have no idea what they gross and how much is really made and who pockets most of that money... there is nothing fair or just about it... its an industry that is reliant on the ignorance of the average consumer... and the willingness of artists to compromise their integrity to make money... something they had no chance of doing if they "kept it real"...
    So we "get em back" by stealing? That's like saying I don't think the pricing on that diamond ring is fair, so as payback, I'm going to steal it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

so is that the moral choice? or the fair choice?

one gives their life for others, the other plays music... which is more valuable to society TODAY? what about the future?
    Society decides who is more valuable in many ways, including financially. Capitalism always works itself out. If society didn't pay firemen enough so that not enough people got into that career field to fill all the needed slots, salaries would increase until the problem solved itself.

Remember when you bring things like morals and fairness into the equation the decision must be made whose morals we follow and whose definition of fairness we follow. So in effect there will always be those who say its unfair and immoral no matter what we do.

If society didn't pay firemen enough so that not enough people got into that career field to fill all the needed slots, salaries would increase until the problem solved itself.
    Or, businesses would encourage undocumented workers to come across the border to fill those slots for less pay with no benefits.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.