Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Principle base" training vs. "Technique base" training

Blog Entries

"Principle base" training vs. "Technique base" training

Many people believe that the "principle base" traing is superior than the "technique base" training. If you train one "abstract principle", you can apply it onto many different "concrete techniques". I have some problem by using this approach. Both hook punch and roundhouse kick may use the same "principle" - spin your limb, but I find out that my hook punch training won't help my roundhouse kick training.

I try to find an example that's pure "principle base" training. Can someone suggest such clip here?

Will you consider the following 2 men drill as "principle base" training or "technique base" training?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzEnT5pKvik
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Many people believe that the "principle base" traing is superior than the "technique base" training. If you train one "abstract principle", you can apply it onto many different "concrete techniques". I have some problem by using this approach. Both hook punch and roundhouse kick may use the same "principle" - spin your limb, but I find out that my hook punch training won't help my roundhouse kick training.
    My understanding of principle based training is different from what you described above. For example, in Wing Chun we face the opponent as we attack. That is a guiding principle, the same as not dealing with force using force, but to accept it and/or absorb it. Of course, those principles are not good if we do not have techniques that apply to those situations, and these techniques have to be drilled thousands of times to make them potent.

Quote Originally Posted by Youknowwho
    I try to find an example that's pure "principle base" training. Can someone suggest such clip here?

Will you consider the following 2 men drill as "principle base" training or "technique base" training?

At the moment I am not able to see that clip on my computer.

John,
    Good topic for discussion!
    I think you always need a mix of the two. The principle is the paradigm upon which the techniques are built. The problem comes when one limits them-self to following the techniques blindly. Within any technique there must be a means of deviating from the course if things do not go as planned. How one deviates is guided by the underlying principle.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I don't think it's possible to train principles without techniques...you couldn't do anything without violating the rule, but I guess you can shift what you emphasize.

The closest I've ever come to training principles without techniques was as a little kid. My dad (who was self-taught) used to teach/practice/play/fight with me a few nights a week.

He taught me 'use your opponent's momentum against him.' He cared more about the principle than the technique, it just had to work. But even without names for most of them, there were still certain moves which became part of my repertoire (which were part of his). (And even then there were still a half-dozen or so wrestling holds with 'real' names.)

Know the general from the particular, and know the particular from the general...it's a two-way road.

My teacher has a principles over technique emphasis in his eagle claw chin na instruction(in all of it really). We only learn about 50 of the 108 specific locking techniques. From there we're expected to have the tools to come up with the rest (and more). But yeah, there's no way to have zero techniques I think.

The purpose of training techniques is to make you gradually understand the principles. The principles are formless and can't quite be trained specifically, just from going free style.

So you train technique and aim towards understanding the principles during those techniques, then you gradually move from form to formlessness.

You can talk about the principles in theory and thats a good thing to do while training. But it would be very difficult to train them specifically since understanding them comes from definate technique.

i cant tell coz they are only doing one thing... based just on this i would have to say technique based... since they are simply taking turns trying a certain technique on eachother as opposed to taking a principle and rolling with it... but whos to say some principle wasnt the inspiration for the cat that created the technique...

ShaolinDan,
    Master Michael Lamonica of Hakko Denshin Ryu taught the same way. One was expected to learn the waza method of tekagami (hand mirror), then develop various henka (variations) based upon the principle found in the waza. Though only a few waza were required for shodan, it was required of the student to develop numerous henka to demonstrate for the shodan test.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Oh. Well, I don't think my Shifu is actually going to make anyone show him the other 58 specific techniques(hope not!)...he'll just want us to show that we can improvise on the fly.

"functional training" is da best.

Principles are a list of guidelines or requirements.

principles are meaningless by itself.

there are thousands and thousands of techniques.

we may group techniques into functions or purposes.

so we only train a few techniques that share the same or similar function or purpose.

under those tenets or contents or conditions for the function to work

principles take their meaning or place.

so we do functional training

and principles are guides or requirements for a certain function to work.

Technique based, and showing the principles of:

bridge/control
    high/low
    push/pull

Can someone share some clip about "principle base" training?
    That might end up being a video of just the teacher lecturing the student

Ok, principle based could be something like, "when sparring a big guy, use hit and run tactics". Then the video would be just free sparring with whatever techniques the person wanted, but he would need to maneuver and hit and run.

I was thinking something like try to get one's opponent off the mat or on the ground...start in clinch, no leg techniques or strikes, just push, pull, twist, etc. But maybe it would only be principle based with someone who was new to it...eventually a person develops techniques...really everything in martial arts (everything) plays off everything else, it's all inter-dependent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-tFPZeqBc

Ok, principles in this video:

- use continuous hand and foot combinations, no one-sie two-sie shots
    - when you close, go all the way in to be able to have body contact
    - when you escape, cover your escape with attacking motions
    - gauge your distance so that you are able to attack right away after avoiding
    - use kicks and leg checks to counter kicks
    - use upper lower scissoring on takedowns
    - if you have body contact, try to take the other person's back/try not to let the other person have your back

Blog Entries
    We may talk about different level of "principle" here.

- If you lose, run like hell (high level principle).
    - push your opponent's head down, and sweep his feet off, he will fall (middle level principle).
    - A punch on the face hurt (low level principle).

Does "principle base" training = free sparring? I'm all for free sparring, but can a boxer suddently develop his "hip throw" by using the free sparring format?

IMO, the free sparring is to "test" your skill and not to "develop" your skill.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-06-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Maybe it's not what you do on the outside that counts, when it comes to principles. Principles let you develop your techniques, there's no way to demonstrate or use principles without techniques. I think it's maybe visible in the learning process more than any particular practice. But really I just think it's a kind of moot point...