Thread: The Back Curl - The Concave chest

Threaded View

IMO the use of the concave back is far more extansive in other Kung Fu styles, most notably Dragon Prawn boxing and some mantis.

Practitioners feel that it makes them a smaller target, protects the centreline and vital points on the torso better and allows them a reach advantage. Some Western boxers advocate a hunched position for similar defensive reasons, though hardly to the same extent, and not because they can allegedly hit harder from there.

It's not a feature of the TWC I've studied. Punching power comes from driving from the floor via the legs and hips and linking the body through proper structure. IMO flexing the upper spine forward detracts from that ability. Adding a rounding of the back IMO will add negligible force to a punch and may in fact take power away because of other compromises that have to be made to accommodate it. IMO this would not be a position that promotes spinal health.

I would dispute that Yip Man is employing the structure you describe in the photos you attached. He looks to be standing pretty straight to me.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-13-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!