Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Taoist VS Lyte Burly (52 Blocks)

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

Fact is, most MMA sucks at striking and saying striking is less "technical" is an excuse for sh!tty stand up.
    This is so ignorant I wont even address it.

Good striking is 100% pure unadulterated technique.
    What technique did Ali have? He had a longer arm than everybody else at the time.

The technique is in how to hit. Creating the opportunity to hit.

We're talking skilled vs skilled here. Trained vs trained. Against the fool timing and speed is enough.

People don't to like to get hit in the face, it makes them nervous and a jittery fighter cannot utilize technique. Ground work allows people to be relatively more relaxed while rolling hard (G&P notwithstanding).
    People don't like to get hit in the face and they also don't like to get dropped on their heads, controlled to where they can't move, and then hit in the face either.

Again, you have to consider skilled vs skilled. Most men angered or motivated enough to fight are not going to be diswayed by a punch. Certainly not a non-connected chain punch.

In the end, these style vs style arguments are foolish and only entertained by the novice who doesn't know.

How come we don't see a higher level of striking in MMA then?
    Because either you're not watching or you're not good enough to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    im talking about that guys that can many of these 'tricks' and yes many are tricks but there is often a degree of conditioning that goes long with it... not just one trick. now is the conditioning related strictly to and only to fighting? no. its a matter of mastery over mind and body.

when you can do head flips on concrete, index and thumb pushups, breack concrete on your stomach with a sledge hammer, run 25 miles non stop, in addition to all the other various tcma requirements, you are a beast. you dont find many people like this outside of temple life. they are not concerned with life in the same way we are.
    Head flips aren't that hard, even on concrete. No hand headstands on concrete. Good for the neck to.

Don't use the thumb. The thumb is super strong, just middle and index.

Breaking is iffy. Just cause someone can do it doesn't necessarily presume any conditioning.

Horse stance for and an hour and a half, 300 single leg squats every day, maintaining a completely erect and straight back in ding bu. Thats tcma condtioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

What technique did Ali have? He had a longer arm than everybody else at the time.

The technique is in how to hit. Creating the opportunity to hit.

We're talking skilled vs skilled here. Trained vs trained. Against the fool timing and speed is enough.

People don't like to get hit in the face and they also don't like to get dropped on their heads, controlled to where they can't move, and then hit in the face either.

Again, you have to consider skilled vs skilled. Most men angered or motivated enough to fight are not going to be diswayed by a punch. Certainly not a non-connected chain punch.

In the end, these style vs style arguments are foolish and only entertained by the novice who doesn't know.
    Dude, seriously?

Who the fuk said anything about wing chun?

I don't know who you are responding to but not one single thing you said has anything to do with what I was talking about.

The argument was that grappling is more technical than striking. I disagree with this proposition.

I know reading comprehension is at a premium around here but come on.

The singular thing that Ali did that helped him to win had nothing to do with his power or his punches.

It was the fact that he could eat it and evade it so well that his opponents would get tired while he was still fresh. Then he'd just go to town.

His big thing was "rope a dope". He'd lean on the ropes and let the other guy swing away while he ate most of it. After a minute or two, POW!

He did this consistently throughout his career. His bob and weave was impeccable and he also had some of the best footwork out of any boxer ever before or since.

anyway, there were a few guys that could hit a lot harder than Ali could. Frasier, Norton and Foreman could all hit really really hard, maybe even harder than Ali.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Head flips aren't that hard, even on concrete. No hand headstands on concrete. Good for the neck to.

Don't use the thumb. The thumb is super strong, just middle and index.

Breaking is iffy. Just cause someone can do it doesn't necessarily presume any conditioning.

Horse stance for and an hour and a half, 300 single leg squats every day, maintaining a completely erect and straight back in ding bu. Thats tcma condtioning.
    look im not going to write a book and list every aspect of tcma here, you can discect any post you want and criticize, i think you are smart enough to know what i mean, i simply picked several obvious and well known tcma conditioning results... ive yet to meet many people that match my shaolin sifu for personal conditioning...hes insane.

as a simple example: someone who has never done head flips, and has not trained their neck in all the various ways to build up just trying it will hurt themselve seriously. ive personally seen it. if you doubt that find someone who has never developed a no hand kip up, prolonged back bridge on neck, head stands, etc. and have them do just one head flip on the sidewalk and let me know the results. it does take time to build up to head flips.

starting at a young age with tong qi gong is another example of extreme conditioning you wont see much outside of the temples...your average temple 'lifer' developes a serious conditioned body. far beyond your average person...or fighter....they arent fighters. the conditioning is not directly related to fighting, but to mastery over the body. fighting is the least of concerns for these individuals.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

How come we don't see a higher level of striking in MMA then?

I'm not alone here, there is a consensus that the striking in MMA sucks.

Often times people will shoot when they are tired.

I'm sure if you tried you could.

Bottom line of what?

sure, lots of mma players suk at striking... and lots suck at wrestling... and lots sucj at ground fighting... you can hardly say nobody in mma can strike tho... thats rediculous...

i do try... i give 110% on both ends... and nothing wears you down like wrestling... pushing weight that is pushing back will always be a harder workout... not much to it... its pretty simple... i get a good workout in bak mei, but nothing drains me like wrestling does... i practice all ranges, so im just going on experience... and everyone else around me that also does both seem to agree...

although i do get alot of resistance from guys that only do standup styles... they will never concede that point... its an ego thing i guess...

im guessing you dont wrestle seriously, coz if you did you would be agreeing with me...

anybody here put as much time into wrestling as anything else??? any of yall think im wrong? its hard for me to believe that we are different here than everywhere else... if its a harder workout for me and everyone else i know, then its a harder workout for you too...

why do you think guys get so tired in the clinch... and the only reason anyone would shoot in coz they were tired would be because they are on auto pilot and their base is wrestling and it far exceeds their other skills... they do it when they get hurt too.... grab a leg... but that proves nothing aside from the fact that people go to what they know best when they are hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    look im not going to write a book and list every aspect of tcma here, you can discect any post you want and criticize, i think you are smart enough to know what i mean, i simply picked several obvious and well known tcma conditioning results... ive yet to meet many people that match my shaolin sifu for personal conditioning...hes insane.

as a simple example: someone who has never done head flips, and has not trained their neck in all the various ways to build up just trying it will hurt themselve seriously. ive personally seen it. if you doubt that find someone who has never developed a no hand kip up, prolonged back bridge on neck, head stands, etc. and have them do just one head flip on the sidewalk and let me know the results. it does take time to build up to head flips.

starting at a young age with tong qi gong is another example of extreme conditioning you wont see much outside of the temples...your average temple 'lifer' developes a serious conditioned body. far beyond your average person...or fighter....they arent fighters. the conditioning is not directly related to fighting, but to mastery over the body. fighting is the least of concerns for these individuals.
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I apologize if you felt disrespected, was not my intent, I'm just an insufferable ******* like that.

Obviously to a complete neophyte headflips are outside the sphere of possibility without serious injury.

no disrespect felt man. im just a douche bag its all good lol.

we're martial artist, we love to argue and fight...its in our blood and spirit
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    sure, lots of mma players suk at striking... and lots suck at wrestling... and lots sucj at ground fighting... you can hardly say nobody in mma can strike tho... thats rediculous...

i do try... i give 110% on both ends... and nothing wears you down like wrestling... pushing weight that is pushing back will always be a harder workout... not much to it... its pretty simple... i get a good workout in bak mei, but nothing drains me like wrestling does... i practice all ranges, so im just going on experience... and everyone else around me that also does both seem to agree...

although i do get alot of resistance from guys that only do standup styles... they will never concede that point... its an ego thing i guess...

im guessing you dont wrestle seriously, coz if you did you would be agreeing with me...

anybody here put as much time into wrestling as anything else??? any of yall think im wrong? its hard for me to believe that we are different here than everywhere else... if its a harder workout for me and everyone else i know, then its a harder workout for you too...

why do you think guys get so tired in the clinch... and the only reason anyone would shoot in coz they were tired would be because they are on auto pilot and their base is wrestling and it far exceeds their other skills... they do it when they get hurt too.... grab a leg... but that proves nothing aside from the fact that people go to what they know best when they are hurt...
    Obviously I was generalizing, there are very good strikers in MMA. It just isn't the norm.

What is the harder workout wasn't the question.

For the record I consider clinching part of striking.

You say knife I say sword. . .

hahahaha

Obviously I was generalizing, there are very good strikers in MMA. It just isn't the norm.

What is the harder workout wasn't the question.

For the record I consider clinching part of striking.

there is alot of grappling in most striking arts... but it is grappling... also, ive never looked at wrestling and striking as opposites... i think thats a problem... i see it alot in styles that do only one or the other, in their minds anyways... i dont care what you learn, you will always learn at least some grappling... especially in styles that use the inside...

As an example, UFC has about 200 fighters on contract.

There are very few people who are really magical martial artists.

A good martial artists is as rare as rubies truth be known.

there are hundreds of thousands of people who practice martial arts.

there are literally only 10s of people who are so good they are nearly impossibly good.

Over history, just look at how very few champion fighters there have been.

Being an excellent fighter is as hard as being an excellent guitarist. To be at a world class level is simply out of reach for 99.999% of the people who undertake to study.

BUT DON"T LET THAT STOP YOU!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Never fault someone for a bad showing. Lots of things can happen on top of fighting a competitive Tai Boxer... injuries leading up to the fight, nerves, and then there's always just those days.

I never lost a fight that wasn't worth it in some way.
    Not faulting the guy, just curious if it was the same cat. I never look down on anyone for trying to do anything. Its all life

I just knew with the question posed that way, someone would know exactly the fight i was talking about.