Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does the West Train Internal?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    that explains your problem. i avoid anything with lion dance like std.

no, sounds like he was a kung fu instructor.
    If he was a Kung Fu instructor, he would have already had his own round timer.

What he really was, was an insecure forms fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

What he really was, was an insecure forms fairy.
    in other words a kung fu instructor.

its good you guys let out the pent up anger and frustration and share in the problems, but the only way to solve your problems is to became a kung fu instructor yourself and teach your view to others. otherwise those same scammers will keep on teaching.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-10-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

in other words a kung fu instructor.
    You and I have different ideas of what a Kung Fu instructor is. Mine, likes to beat people up. The lessons are all fight oriented.

When I teach, I try to be the same way. I won't even teach the form till my student can use all the applications.

I may not have a round timer, but my student has one. We will use his.

its good you guys let out the pent up anger and frustration and share in the problems, but the only way to solve your problems is to became a kung fu instructor yourself and teach your view to others. otherwise those same scammers will keep on teaching.
    I do just this.

no. david ross does this. you just brag on internet.

david ross is both physcially and mentally strong. if you dared face his marital prowess, he would make your voice one octave higher. he would destroy you until you cry like a japanese woman.

you are a choir boy compared to mighty david ross. A CHOIR BOY

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I think he thought it was a distraction.
    The breaking point came when I left a round timer with one of my seniors.
    Another senior ran and told sifu, who threw it out the front door.
    The next time I came into class, he blew up at me.
    Destruction of personal property? Anger issues?

Your sifu sounds like an asshole. Good riddance.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

david ross is both physcially and mentally strong. if you dared face his marital prowess, he would make your voice one octave higher. he would destroy you until you cry like a japanese woman.

you are a choir boy compared to mighty david ross. A CHOIR BOY
    Bleh....

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I just spent the better part of this thread explaining how it works, in detail.
    OK, yes I see that, nice job!

But what about the mind body connection?, none of these guys will be able to replicate the internal without that, only an external structure without proper energy flow.

Internal art also contains the energy being able to flow both ways, energy flows in and out, external arts energy only flows out.

Without building up the reservoir of energy, then opening the pipes to flow it, nothing will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    You have an effed up training history.
    Yeah... I guess I haven't had the best experiences.
    A lot of it was probably my fault.
    I haven't lasted more than a few years at any single kung fu school.
    My first school is the only one I didn't leave voluntarily (had to move for college).
    My teacher there was like my dad, he established my concept of martial arts, he's a large part of who I am, and I miss the guy.
    I trained there 6 days a week, but it was at a time when my teacher was slowing down - switching from a hard knocks kind of school to more of a taiji for health.
    The classmates that I'd sparred were from the older generation of guys who fought.
    I was a bit of a forms monkey.

The other schools were me trying to find that again, and trying to learn a system through to "completion".
    I can talk boxing or muay thai with just about anybody; but I never learned a whole tcma system, so that's one thing in my life that I feel is left unfinished.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    OK, yes I see that, nice job!

But what about the mind body connection?, none of these guys will be able to replicate the internal without that, only an external structure without proper energy flow.

Internal art also contains the energy being able to flow both ways, energy flows in and out, external arts energy only flows out.

Without building up the reservoir of energy, then opening the pipes to flow it, nothing will happen.
    That is a whole other angle. However, to be fair, the mind and intent are very prevalent in external styles as well, so i left them off the table in my explanation. So is borrowing other's force or energy.

Well, that was really touching. I'm happy everyone got a chance to share.

So, any other ideas about how Western athletes fine tune their mind/body connection?
    (or whatever the F* you want to call it) 147 responses and only about 5 are relevant. Nice.

P.S. I really don't care how you define internal...go do it somewhere else. I know there are plenty of old threads you could necro for that...you might even discover that everything you wanted to say has already been said...twice.
    P.P.S. Thanks to those few of you who tried to get beyond definitions and address the question. I thought it could be an interesting topic, I never intended to start another 'is internal real' thread. That's not interesting...anymore. Maybe it used to be...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post

So, any other ideas about how Western athletes fine tune their mind/body connection?
    Neuro-linguistic_programming

Now back to our regularly scheduled quasi-mystical eastern bromides and the befuddled conflations of half studied disciplines misinterpreted by dilettantes.

http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation.../P-8680094.htm

THE ANTI-G STRAINING MANEUVER
    There are two components to the recommended Anti-G Straining Maneuver (AGSM):
    1. A continuous and maximum contraction (if necessary) of all skeletal muscles including the arms, legs, chest, and abdominal muscles (and any other muscles if possible). Tensing of the skeletal muscles reduces blood in the G dependent areas of the body and assists in retaining or returning the blood to the thoracic (chest) area, the heart and brain.

2. The respiratory component of the AGSM is repeated at 2.5 - 3.0 second intervals. Thepurpose of the respiratory component is to counter the downward G force by increasing chest pressure by expanding the lungs. This increased pressure forces blood to flow from the heart to the brain. The respiratory tract is an open breathing system which starts at the nose and mouth and ends deep in the lungs. The respiratory tract can be completely closed off at several different points. The most effective point is to close the system off at the glottis. Closing the glottis (which is located behind the "Adam's Apple") yields the highest increase of chest pressure. You can find it and close it off by saying the word "Hick." This should be said following a deep inspiration and forcefully closing the glottis as you say "Hick." Bear down for2.5 to 3.0 seconds, and then rapidly exhale by finishing the word "Hick." This is immediately followed by the next deep inhalation repeating the cycle. The exhalation and inhalation phase should last no more than 0.5 to 1.0 second.

NOTES
    1. Do not hold your respiratory straining too long (more than fiveseconds) since this will prevent the proper returning of blood to theheart and may result in loss of consciousness.
    2. Anticipate a rapid-onset, high G exposure whenever possible. The skeletal muscles should be tensed prior to the onset of Gs andcoupled with the "Hick" cycle as the increasing of G' begins. Initiating the AGSM too early can inhibit the body's naturalcardiovascular reflex responses. Starting the AGSM too late is adifficult situation to make up without reducing the G- stress.