Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Touch surface or go into detail?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    IMO, SECRET does exist. For example, How do you counter when your body is lifted in the air by your opponent's "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" throw?

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...e/uchimata.htm
    Not sure what you mean there John, counters to throws are taught when the throw is taught.
    There is no secret to countering an uchi mata and there are a few ways depending on where you find yourself and what you prefer to do.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not sure what you mean there John, counters to throws are taught when the throw is taught.
    There is no secret to countering an uchi mata and there are a few ways depending on where you find yourself and what you prefer to do.
    For a "striker" who has never trained any throw, when that throw applies on him, he won't be able to respond correctly. To that person, how to handle that situation correctly is a "secret". It won't do him any good even if he can obtain that information afterward.

To me, secret is just something that "you don't know". If you don't know, you won't train. If you don't train, you won't develop correct body response.

Nothing is secret after you have known it, train it, and develop it. To different individual, the word secret may have different meaning.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-11-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you've lost yourself a perfectly good business opportunity.
    Gosh Dave...This is priceless man, I laughed so hard.

Anyway on topic,

Not only do some guys (ie authors of articles) only scratch the surface but they also steal other peoples work!!

Gene has had guys plagiarize his work, cut it up and rehash it only to submit it back to him. Whereby upon rejection of the "Said Article", Gene then sends some of his Ninjets over to dispatch them.

It's already been theorized that either authors are holding back or just don't know very much to begin with.

But mabe it's just different goals, mabe selfishness, mabe just business.

I know for myself, NOT BEING a famous OLD (Insert any Asian Master "___" here), I will never get the respect I may earn or deserve no matter how hard I've trained. But I keep on truckin' anyway.

How many times do you see an old Asian master teaching a seminar and nobody challenges them? Of course it's disrespectful and not appropriate and blah blah blah.
    But when you're a Westerner forget it... you have to be able to roll in a heartbeat and even if you win...if it wasn't like a MOVIE, then you must not be that good. IT's totall B.S. but something I have to live with.

So that is ONE of a few reasons why, I don't fully share what I know to armchair keyboard jockeys who want to learn for free.

*** Not only that, I MEAN THIS WITH ALL SERIOUSNOUS:

If a person is not at a sufficient level to absorb what he's reading, all the detail in the world will be lost to him.

For example, how many times have you experienced that "Slaps Forhead = ala I coulda had a V8 moment" years after reading something over and over again? Why? Because it took that long for "YOU" ( or any Person in general) to mature enough to comprehend. It's just that simple.

Also,

The internet in general, breeds mediocrity. Prior to the Internet, to be published you had to REALLY BE AN EXPERT IN YOUR FIELD. Now any schmoe can blog his feelings.

Sincerely...Schmoe aka "O"
    Last edited by Subitai; 11-11-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    The internet in general, breeds mediocrity. Prior to the Internet, to be published you had to REALLY BE AN EXPERT IN YOUR FIELD. Now any schmoe can blog his feelings."
    Sorta like how you really had to have good actors and a real script to make movies until cheap cameras and video editing software came out....

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

For a "striker" who has never trained any throw, when that throw applies on him, he won't be able to respond correctly. To that person, how to handle that situation correctly is a "secret". It won't do him any good even if he can obtain that information afterward.

To me, secret is just something that "you don't know". If you don't know, you won't train. If you don't train, you won't develop correct body response.

Nothing is secret after you have known it, train it, and develop it. To different individual, the word secret may have different meaning.
    Ah, understood, thanks
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sorta like how you really had to have good actors and a real script to make movies until cheap cameras and video editing software came out....

You did notice I hope, that I called MYSELF a SCHMOE right?

Also, the slogan for that show was "Bad Acting Good Kung Fu" I've never professed to be an accomplished actor...so I lean towards the latter. 30 + yrs and still trying is all that matters.

The Schmoe "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Good point. Years back, there were some people who, because they had various
    Kuen po translations, thought that they were the sheit, and made no bones about bringing it up at every opportunity-articles, online forums, etc.
    It turned out, that what they did NOT possess, was the hand, the real understanding of the technique, and the skill to use it.
    Absolutely! Intellectual understanding does not equal physical skill, nor does physical skill always equal technical understanding. Many TCMA peeps/shifu fall into one category or the other. It is the rare few you have both assets.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Good point. Years back, there were some people who, because they had various
    Kuen po translations, thought that they were the sheit, and made no bones about bringing it up at every opportunity-articles, online forums, etc.
    It turned out, that what they did NOT possess, was the hand, the real understanding of the technique, and the skill to use it.
    Some teacher always asks his student whether his student wants to be a "fighter", or a "teacher". Kuen Po can be useful for those "teachers".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.

this thread reads like a bunch of whiny old women bit*ch'n about Nancy's cross stitching magazine without offering any real solutions. You want a better magazine? Read a couple first and then man up and offer a few suggestions.

I don't have the answers. All I can say is that I'm a drill freak. I like drills that lead to skills. Have more TCMA drills, and I'll be more interested. They should lead to real skill development... like drills for a purpose. For example, let's take practical chin na. Most books on the subject are garbage... why? Because they show a simplified lock. They don't show drills, that are based on situation, that are replicable, that are possible to apply with increasing intensity, leading to real skill development. Figure out a way to print that and you have a better mag IMO.

IMO, SECRET does exist. For example, How do you counter when your body is lifted in the air by your opponent's "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" throw?

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...e/uchimata.htm

When someone tells you the answer, it won't worth a penny. But when you don't know, you just don't know.
    Relax like Mifune if you've missed blocking the set up or missed the opportunity to step out of it and ride it out in style.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Have more TCMA drills, and I'll be more interested. They should lead to real skill development... like drills for a purpose. For example, let's take practical chin na. Most books on the subject are garbage... why? Because they show a simplified lock. They don't show drills, that are based on situation, that are replicable, that are possible to apply with increasing intensity, leading to real skill development. Figure out a way to print that and you have a better mag IMO.
    A good drill like this can benefit people from all styles.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...1092556new.gif

The combo drill (use one move to set up next move) has great value. It tells us how a person thinks in his set up.

The most interest part of the Chin Na is not how to make a certain lock work. It's how to change from one lock into another lock when your opponent resists. Again, that also has to to with combo drill (use one move to set up next move).

Blog Entries
    Relax like Mifune if you've missed blocking the set up or missed the opportunity to step out of it and ride it out in style.
    I believe the best counter for that move is to jump on your opponent's back, ride him like a horse, and crash him all the way down to the ground.

A good drill like this can benefit people from all styles.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...1092556new.gif

The combo drill (use one move to set up next move) has great value. It tells us how a person thinks in his set up.
    You'd probably like the works of Benny the Jet. He devoted many books and tapes to what he termed as 'techniques in motion' which were essentially a progressive set of drills leading to combos exactly as Cung Le did in that clip. They involved solo, pads, and two person drills.

I believe the best counter for that move is to jump on your opponent's back, ride him like a horse, and crash him all the way down to the ground.
    I've been working on a ride and sacrifice counter for all over the back type of loads. Unfortunately, if my opponent is smart, they "makikomi" the throw to counter my counter.

my counter is based off obi garuma.
    Last edited by MightyB; 11-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've been working on a ride and sacrifice counter for all over the back type of loads. Unfortunately, if my opponent is smart, they "makikomi" the throw to counter my counter.

my counter is based off obi garuma.
    One 3 times national SC champion in Taiwan used the "leg lift" throw on his opponent, his opponent jumped on his neck and crashed him all the way down to the ground. With that neck injury, that 3 times national SC champion spend all his life on wheelchair.