View Poll Results: Is it still TMA even if it doesn't look like TMA?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's not TMA

4 26.67%
  • Yes, it is TMA

11 73.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is it still TMA if it doesn't look like TMA?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    So despite the fact that a wing chun punch is vertical fist, delivered from the chest, and that guy is punching with a horizontal fist, delivered from the shoulder, it could be a WC punch?
    You did not quite read my post well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    It is hard to say because most all CMA use the punching style I described in the above post as a base or basics. After you learn the basics then you move on to the different attributes of your individual CMA style. WC likes Chain punches which the fists are vertically aligned and roll in a circle forward. However, they still use the basics I described above so I would say basically he used a CMA punch, but other TMA can use this method as well.

Is the guy in gif a WC player? Why would you think he or was not doing a WC punch in the first place? In general he could be any number of styles with that punch and yes it could be a WC style punch.

ginosifu
    WC players like to use Chain Punching but they also use Horizontal fists as well. They are not stuck..... only to use vertical fists. They also use the basic CMA punching I laid out above. If this guy was a WC player and he used a horizontal fist.... does not mean he is not using WC.

ginosifu

edit
    Again your position on that is only because of a lack of knowledge in this area. Let me explain, in kung fu (in general many style use this) we drive off the back foot, but it is flat on the ground. The drive comes from the ground and travels thru the waist and the waist directs to the strike.

Chambering your hand at the waist starts a muscle memory and structural process where the skeletel system is used along with muscle to deliver the power. Structurally when your fist is at the waist and your elbow is down you connect the skeletel system to your strike.

As a beginner we practice this way, then as you advance we learn how to connect everything from the Hands up Guard. Slowly you learn how to fire your punch right from the guard and still connect the skeletel system and drive from the back foot.
    What I forgot to mention is that the CMA punch that fires from the Guard postion can be vertical or Horizontal and still use the skeletel structure if the elbow is still down and the back foot is driving etc etc. So in essence... WC players use this basic punch just like every other CMA. Why do they only get to use a vertical punch?

ginosifu

ps bawang, you forgot to add they need to do some squats before they learn punching techniques!
    Last edited by ginosifu; 11-29-2011 at 12:34 PM.

WC players
    this is the difference between tma and mma. mma fights. tma plays.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    This is how TMA is supposed to do reverse punch.
    Even though his foot was not planted well during contact, this the correct representation of a Reverse Punch. Notice how he fired his punch right from the guard position.
    I've never heard that before, but I guess that answer makes sense. But it's still neurologically inefficient to train one way only to change it to another way. "Muscle memory" would be better if you started punching the way you are going to end up punching.
    Classical method trains the foot plant and torque for maximum stability and power. In the Mayweather gif, you see that he sacrifices a little of the power(no plant, partial torque) to favor speed and mobility to close in and control the other guy.

TMA will do this as well. If it was a Mantis guy, he might follow up with a right forearm smash to the head, knee attack, and throw.

The classical method is neurologically efficient in training the body methods for maximum power. Not every shot has to be a power shot, but you have to be able to whip it out when you want to. And you're not going to be able to unless you train that maximum range of motion. Not to say that TCMA is the only one that does this.

Here's a Mayweather gif of jab to the body. Mantis would call it black tiger steals heart.

The first punch didn't have much effect. The second punch was a knockdown.

From a TCMA perspective, the second punch was executed closer to what we want to see. More bend on the knees, more forward drive, more sinking force.

Those are all the things on which the teacher continually corrects the student.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Here's a Mayweather gif of jab to the body. Mantis would call it black tiger steals heart.

And WC guys would probably say that's a WC punch, too.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    no, that s a choy lee fut chop choy hahahaha
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    no, that s a choy lee fut chop choy hahahaha
    Us Hung Gar guys might call that Chum Saam Choy or heart piercing punch. Wow he was in a horse stance too (Horse stance training has no value right?). Was his toes pointed inward or outward?

ginosifu

Just so we're clear, can you tell me which of the following, if any, are Wing Chun punches?

A.

B.

C.

a punch is a punch...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    IF IT WORKS, WHO CARES......
    you sir are the winner of the 81,000,000 dollar mystery to the martial arts... please provide your bank account information for a full transfer of funds.

Just so we're clear, can you tell me which of the following, if any, are Wing Chun punches?
    All of them. The first is Laam Choi and is a common TCMA hooking type punch. The second, Yut Gee Choi or vertical fist is another common TCMA punch. The third is Ping Choi or horizontal fist also a common to "ALL" TCMA styles. Notice how I said all TCMA styles !

ginosifu

All of them. The first is Laam Choi and is a common TCMA hooking type punch. The second, Yut Gee Choi or vertical fist is another common TCMA punch. The third is Ping Choi or horizontal fist also a common to "ALL" TCMA styles. Notice how I said all TCMA styles !

ginosifu
    Well since apparently all possible punching techniques are Wing Chun punches, I am going to show you a picture of my favorite Wing Chun practitioner. You can see him here in a traditional Wing Chun stance:

is that bruce lee?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    is that bruce lee?
    that's david carradine ya goof...

dang i always get those guys mixed up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    dang i always get those guys mixed up.
    david carradine is chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    david carradine is chinese.
    Beat me to it