Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
I caught it too - Alan says that techniques like pak bong laap are beginner level stuff but he's not going to use that. But in both instances where he demonstrated 'free sparring' that's exactly what he used - Pak, bong and laap (in that exact order)

Besides that, the rest of what he is saying in the clip make sense - because for the most part, it's just basic general fight mechanics. But there is a disconnect in what he's saying and what he's actually doing as noted above.
Please try on to hang on to every single word I say. Pak and Lap I use of course, but it has many levels. In the clip I am taking about using it in sparring where it becomes the basic application of movement for striking. Of course I use Pak and Lap in Chi Sao which is training my movement and skill. This is my whole point - its not set in stone. The clip you are talking about is me doing chi sao not sparring, so of course you see Pak and Lap. You also see me leaking the strike with one hand which is control of the movement in the line of attack used by Lap and so on. The important thing is that skills should develop. Repeating an application with no ideal of the development is the problem that is often seen.