Thread: Tan Sao against jab

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I think you have totally misunderstood my point me old china, because you say my thinking is flawed and then compliment my POV in the same sentence.
    Nowhere in my response did I contradict myself or compliment your thinking. Not quite sure what you read there. Perhaps you can point out where that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Let me make it simple for you people with a lower IQ......some people protest that Tan Sau is a palm up block used for blocking hooks. Some other people say it's for driving into your opponent and is only used in poon sau. Some other people say that Tan Sau is a punchinc concept (like me)..........I could go on and give conflicting ideas on the other arm actions but there is no point.

So lets take two ideas. One is a block, one is a punch. So are you saying that which one we use depends on size, strength and weaknesses??? My idea of Tan Sau has nothing to do with blocking. If you are trying to convince me that both are "interpretations" and that is acceptable then go to the back of the room and stand with your hands on your head facing the wall!!
    GH
    Or, let's act like an adult and talk like men and leave the insecurity complexes at home. I know what you're saying. It is the oldest and lamest argument in the WC world. Your way is right, everyone else's that differs from yours is wrong. It's this style-centristic thinking that inhibits growth. At least that's the way it's coming across.

What if someone can successfully use Tan Sao to block a punch in real time? Is it still wrong? What if someone uses Tan Sao successfully in clinching? Is it still wrong? What if some use Tan Sao only in the form but interpret it as a punch? If it works and makes sense for them, is it wrong because you don't agree?

Now to elaborate on the skills and attributes dictating moves, let's say the OP normally used tan sao successfully against incoming punches, but now finds that this particular opponent is too fast, and he can't catch it, then he needs to work it differently or use another tactic to deal with it like wu or pak or cover. People who fight find out quickly what fits where to make it effective.

You also have to remember that a single tool can have more than one use.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 01-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."