Quote Originally Posted by Sima Rong View Post
Xing Yi seems a strange art to cross-train in for a Ving Tsun stylist though. Wouldn't the way you use your body be completely different?
I actually find the little that I know about Xing Yi so far to be very similar to what I've learned in Ving TSun, except it's not really a superficial similarity and I also think the things taught in the system are taught at different times which makes it a bit harder to see as well.

To explain it briefly and hoping it makes sense;

I like how Xing Yi trains the stance and movements fairly early, and not just any movement but very powerful forward movement. Traditionally (at least as far as i know), Ving Tsun starts refining single techniques in a static stance before moving. Then I also feel that the 5 fists, even thought they're called "5 fists," they encompass a lot of individual techniques as I know them from Ving Tsun, but of course they do all have their differences. I guess it's hard to notice in the first Ving Tsun form alone, but the other forms and pole training (which imo is similar to a spear kinda) together make the 5 fists seem, not natural, but at least not very foreign or uncomfortable. Instead it's just like "oh wow, this is so cool, if i train this a lot it'll be awesome!"