Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandchildren of ip man

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Yip definitely deserves credit for being the patriarch of modern day Wing Chun, but I dare say that without Bruce's bringing attention to WC that the art would still be relatively unheard of in today's world. I'd reckon that most practitioners started WC due to their desire to learn Bruce's mother art. Although most people who stick with it probably do so because it truly is a unique and wonderful art.

Best,
    Vernon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW- BL had nothing to do with my interest in the art, or my sifu's or my sigung's - or TST, Lok Yiu, Ip's Foshan students, WSL, Ng Chan. The Hong Kong, Foshan, Macao seeds were related to
    Ip Man as the central figure.
    Yes. interest in BL's mother art played a role in the spreading of wing chun.. specially related to BL's great movies.

Spread of WC

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW- BL had nothing to do with my interest in the art, or my sifu's or my sigung's - or TST, Lok Yiu, Ip's Foshan students, WSL, Ng Chan. The Hong Kong, Foshan, Macao seeds were related to
    Yes. interest in BL's mother art played a role in the spreading of wing chun.. specially related to BL's great movies.
    No doubt. Yip will probably go down in history as the most important martial arts "grandmaster" of all time. And rightfully so. I recall Linda Lee writing about Yip's instruction for a young Bruce to take a week off from training to contemplate the deeper philosophical implications of the Yin & Yang foundation of Kung Fu, and how this meditation allowed Bruce to have an epiphany concerning the fluidity of water and how this natural phenomena of the universe applies to martial arts. Indeed, the essence of JKD is the natural flow between ranges and the techniques from a variety of arts. I know that WSL and William Cheung played a big role in teaching Bruce Wing Chun, but without Yip's sophisticated understanding of the art there would probably be no JKD. Although, I still feel that without Bruce most of the world would never have heard of this important and pivotal grandmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post

Same here, I wasn't even aware of Bruce's lineage when I took an interest in WC.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Same here, I wasn't even aware of Bruce's lineage when I took an interest in WC.
    Yeah, well the point is the Kung Fu craze of the 1970s was pretty much single-handedly the result of Bruce's efforts. A lot of the prominent VT instructors who are continuing to popularize the art got their start due to seeking the roots of BL. For instance, David Peterson of the WSL lineage has stated that he wanted to learn from the man who had a huge part in teaching Bruce his Kung Fu. Eric Oram, of the Cheung lineage and who instructs Robert Downey Jr., has stated that he got into martial arts due to Bruce. Wing Chun has spread and become one of the most popular martial arts of all time due to Bruce's connections; so despite some people not starting their journey directly due to BL, they have probably benefited indirectly if only due to the prevalence of qualified places to train. That's great. A rising tide raises all ships.

maybe i'm unusual but the fact that it was the art done by Bruce Lee actually put me off wing chun for years, it was only when I saw it / felt it close up that I realised what it had to offer.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by dfl View Post
    ----------------------------

Relevant? How? Why?