Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
I am also interested in Daoism, and have a fundamental understand of it. Like another subject that I have studied - Buddhism, it is a theology, not a religion. But I cannot say that I am well versed in both. In order to be one, the person needs to study it as a major, and practise it as his lifestyle.

Regards,

Steve Lau
Hong Kong
Thank you Hebrew hammer for the link. The reason why I asked this is because, I imagine that in the past before 1970, masters most likely had a good understanding of Daoism. The problem is that if we go back in history, it is much more complex as religion, philosophy, popular beliefs and practice of Daoism was not as described today. Today I have the impression that is more of new age type of thing, spiritual capitalism and whatever they want to sell in the market. Here in the US and some other western countries, I have noticed to use of ying yang, qi or bagua symbols and claim being Daoist. As I learn today, all those concepts are part of the traditional Chinese cosmology. I wonder if you have ever asked your Chinese sifu or western sifu, what is their understanding of Daoism and how is that related to their Chinese boxing style. I put aside taijiquan, baguazhang as they use more terms that are also applied in Daoism circles.
Thanks,