View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 227 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1271772172252262272282292372773277271227 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Bak Mei video (Zhong Luo performing)
    Views: 190 Posted By The Xia
    What is the reverse breathing method?

Here's an example of Xia's CMA knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    That's not all true. I'd say only 1/3 of my posts are in this thread.
    Judge Pen, I was not talking about you when I said that. I've seen your posts elsewhere. I was talking about other people on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Bak Mei video (Zhong Luo performing)
    Views: 190 Posted By The Xia

Here's an example of Xia's CMA knowledge
    If you know what is meant by the reverse breathing method feel free to explain it...in the Southern Forum thread, not here.

As for me "putting up or shutting up", how many times do I have to say it, what I do isn't relevant to this discussion.

well..

Quote Originally Posted by Fei jiao View Post
    Oh, I've seen the video. A video of Sin The doing what is supposed to be a Praying Mantis form (looked nothing like Mantis to me, and he was so stiff he looked nothing like a grandmaster, but hey, if that suits you, fine!). I've seen the web pages too. And no I haven't taken a seminar and I don't plan to either (espescially after seeing your grandmaster perform).
    so you are going to judge the whole system, art, and grandmaster on just a few seconds of video and web page pictures? how shallow...

how it looks??

are you really this stupid??

all that matters is how it works in application..... period!!

..you spend all this time judging and being critical yet have no clue as to what you are talking about..

I know the video you are talking about I was there when it was filmed..

it is a hard style of mantis not performance art wushu. our art is done for it's intended purpose first...

all that flowery SH*T will not get it done in a real fight .

I have watched so called kung fu masters get their @$$es handed to them because they thought doing all that pretty CR@P was going to help them...

wrong

..most of what is out there that calls it's self 'KUNGFU" or "Shaolin" is just a joke.

you get up to blue belt in ShaolinDo and and you will have more fighting tools and capabilities than most blackbelts/ sashes in other arts..

so save all your bullsh*t about what you have seen...because you ain't seen nothin' yet...

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    SD is not classical Karate those of you who say it is , wouldnt know Karate from a hole in the ground. Also the Naginata is a totally different weapon and the principles are not the same as the Kwan Tao that statement is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. KC
    Alright, way to transcend the art there KC.

Believe it or not some of us see the similarities where others only see difference. Come back when you've opened your mind a bit.

A story

There I was, standing in an empty room facing 3 armed Karateka. The first had a pair of Tonfa, the second a pair of Sai, and the thrid had a pair of Nunchuku. I backed away slowly looking for an escape route.

My back to a wall I reached up and off the wall I pulled ........

......... a Naginata! My mind raced as I tried understand this foreign weapon. I'm well versed in Chinese weapons, Kwan Do, Long Handle Nine Ring. But this, this strange weapon, was unknown to me. How would I operate this long stick with a blade on the end? What were it's principles?

I knew my time had come.

Cool cool

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Something I've been meaning to ask, are SD seminars open to no-SD members?

I don't know enough about SD or the styles it teaches so I can't make any comparisons. I've commented that the local SD guys look like they train just as hard as anyone else in the business.

What I have observed though is the movement and whether the forms are Chinese, Japanese or Burmese the movement itself is much more similar to Japanese Karate than to Chinese Kung Fu.

All humans are built fundamentally the same so techniques can only vary a finite amount. Long weapons and short weapons are interchangeable within each respected group. Hand a Karateka a Kwan Do and I'm sure he could use it effectivily if he has any Naginata training.

What separates them more than anything, I think, is the movement. There is a different flow to most Chinese arts that is missing in SD. I think this is the point a lot of people try to make but the issue of the sets themselves seems to drown it out.

Each stylist will perform according to what he knows. The Japanes turned Zhonguo Chuan Fa into Kenpo, the Indonesians turned Shaolin into Shaolin Do.
    no you have to be a student..

all the rest of this is true..

it is the movement and the outward appearences

you take some one from SD and have them do the tiger crane duet and someone who does Hung gar and you will find that the one looks japanese( hard and rigid) and one looks chinese ( soft and fluid) the form is still from chinese origin.... and all that matters is whether it works or not ...right??

there are benefits from doing it both ways ( yin yang principle.)

does it not stand to reason considering the history and lineage that it would look like karate to hide the fact that it is chinese so that it could be taught in Indonesia??? I mean think about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    no you have to be a student..

all the rest of this is true..

it is the movement and the outward appearences

you take some one from SD and have them do the tiger crane duet and someone who does Hung gar and you will find that the one looks japanese( hard and rigid) and one looks Chinese ( soft and fluid) the form is still from Chinese origin.... and all that matters is whether it works or not ...right??

there are benefits from doing it both ways ( yin yang principle.)

does it not stand to reason considering the history and lineage that it would look like karate to hide the fact that it is Chinese so that it could be taught in Indonesia??? I mean think about it.....
    I disagree. Hung gar's tiger/crane is not soft. The SD version does not look like a variation. It looks like the person does not fully understand it.

With kung fu, it doesn't matter if it works or not. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. There is a lot of bad kung fu. What I mean by bad is that I feel that style is useless. However, it is kung fu. My opinion is that a lot kung fu styles don't work. SD may or may not work, but just because it works well does not make it kung fu.

Long ago, SD might of had a Chinese base (I strongly doubt it). HOWEVER, it is not kung fu now

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    I disagree. Hung gar's tiger/crane is not soft. The SD version does not look like a variation. It looks like the person does not fully understand it.

With kung fu, it doesn't matter if it works or not. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. There is a lot of bad kung fu. What I mean by bad is that I feel that style is useless. However, it is kung fu. My opinion is that a lot kung fu styles don't work. SD may or may not work, but just because it works well does not make it kung fu.

Long ago, SD might of had a Chinese base (I strongly doubt it). HOWEVER, it is not kung fu now
    So it really is even worse than the # of sets ... they do all their sets the same, like KARATE???

They don't do their taiji like karate, do they?
    Last edited by lunghushan; 09-12-2006 at 03:31 PM.

9. no we are not like karate.

on a trip to china there was an old chinese man performing for our group. he did a straight sword form that was exactly like ours. he did a hsing yi linkage form that was exactly like ours...how would this old man know our material if it was japanese or indonesian karate?

the migration of our kung fu has added flavors to it that make people think that it is not in fact kung fu. but what we do is in fact kung fu.

does all mantis look the same? no

does all tai chi look the same? no

does all hsing yi look the same? no

there are differences in everything cma.

every village has differences. every temple as well. to say you know what cma looks like is just silly. even robert smith claimed vehemently that their were no southern temples in china. and then lo and behold not 1 but 3 temples surface (just as sd has claimed since the late 60's.....odd conicidence that one).

if you dont like what we do fine..but dont pretend to be experts on something that is an oral history and tradition no matter what "style" you follow.

you say other people accept hung gar white crane etc as real cma...well we do all those systems in sd..we are not a system of kung fu. we cover all systems....if you want to focus on one style then sd isnt for you plain and simple. if you want to taste all that kung fu offers then drop by and check us out.

we train hard and we have fun!

It'd be beneficial to the discussion to post videos of Sin The on this thread. If anyone has any, put them here. After all, he is the highest ranking member of Shaolin Do is he not?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    we train hard and we have fun!
    Well, good for you.

I still can't believe that people buy the entire story with those pics and everything, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    It'd be beneficial to the discussion to post videos of Sin The on this thread. If anyone has any, put them here. After all, he is the highest ranking member of Shaolin Do is he not?
    Yes, but, candidly, he is not the best forms person. The people that I would offer up are not interested in putting their material out in a public forum. In their mind, they have nothing to gain. So all I can do is give you a shoddy example in me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Yes, but, candidly, he is not the best forms person. The people that I would offer up are not interested in putting their material out in a public forum. In their mind, they have nothing to gain. So all I can do is give you a shoddy example in me.
    Your kwan do form didn't look bad -- it just seemed like the stances were a bit high.

Anyway, whatever. I personally am not going to take Shaolin-Do but if a bunch of people want to do it, whatever.

Couldn't be any worse than USSD or something.

I can find some of the sets in other arts. I have found our linkage and our version of the 2 man set done by a respected Xingyi practitioner. I have also found the exact version of all the roads of Hua minus #4. Modern Hua was created by GMT according to two individuals on the west.

I said it way back in the thread. I feel GMT has legit MA training that, is why I respect GMT. Now, whether it is all shaolin or added shaolin is up for debate.

I have my opinions on the shaolin part, that I tend to keep off the thread.

Its funny because, I've been subject of, part of, or the actual person in 4 of the bigger rumors on this entire combined thread.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu View Post
    Its funny because, I've been subject of, part of, or the actual person in 4 of the bigger rumors on this entire combined thread.
    What, are you saying you're the hairy guy in the photo?