Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Taiwan S.W.A.T. does kung fu

Video: Taiwan S.W.A.T. does kung fu

actually, despite the rhetoric, looks like a good amount of Judo and Taekwondo has been added into their training... nothign wrong with that, but the "it's all kung fu" stuff is a bit much
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Qin Na and Shuai Jiao are required courses.

TKD are popular in police academy, and colleges, and actually TKD schools are everywhere. There are also TKD city, town teams etc. That is part of reasons that Taiwan has won several TKD Olympic medals over the years.

When TKD was starting in south Korea, the government of Taiwan was promoting it in a big way. All military, police, colleges and even high schools etc.

I had some lessons in TKD as well as Kuo Shu clubs in High school in the late 70's.

I moved to the states in the 80's.

Man. It has been almost 20 years.

Edit: TKD is still the most popular "style" in Taiwan.

Last edited by SPJ; 10-26-2006 at 09:48 PM.

As far as a SWAT unit is concerned-

If I was a criminal I would much rather go against the Taiwan SWAT, who spend a good amount of time training in martial arts, than LA County Sheriff's SWAT or FBI's HRT, who spend most of the training on shooting and weapons tactics.

Some of the footwork for the kicking looked more like tkd than kung fu but the throws all looked like shuai chiao to me.

no offense but the throws right into the arm bars looked a lot more like Judo

I have the Taiwan Police college materials from teh 80's when Chang Dung Sheng and company were still running the show, this looks way different

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Look at the throw just after the 1 minute mark and tell me that guy isn't jumping to make it look good. What's with the acrobatic board breaaking?

In fact why are they doing so much kicking, punching and breaking? Shouldn't they work more disarms and control moves? Guess they don't have to worry about getting sued for excessive force.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    no offense but the throws right into the arm bars looked a lot more like Judo

I have the Taiwan Police college materials from teh 80's when Chang Dung Sheng and company were still running the show, this looks way different
    I was taught armlocks like those in kung fu, in anycase the throws are shuai chiao even if the follow ups are controversial. I've seen the Chang Dong Sheng police material as well but that wasn't all the shaui chiao material. Don't forget that there is more than one style of shuai chiao as well. Also nobody claimed that that was shuai chiao the art. Shuai chiao skills in different kung fu styles vary.

having studed Shuai Jiao with Jeng Hsin Ping and being friendly with Daniel Weng, I know a little about Shuai Jioa and what was taught at the Police academy and different styles of Shuai Jiao....

The board breaking and the flying kicks are pretty obviously NOT Shuai Jiao, if you want to "split hairs' and say "the throw is shuai jiao, even though the arm bar is judo"... well, that's ok.... never seen a SINGLE LEG OVER straight arm bar in Shuai Jiao

that was a cool video.

as far as footwork looks like tkd, you are probably right but i saw kung fu lol.

they were probably doing some flashy stuff for the tv show not wanting to reveal too much of what they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

It looked like the Paul Mitchell demo team. Betcha their real training looks different.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

That's how I envision the future of MAs. It's a blend- a lot of Judo and TKD plus they we're drilling some old-skool kf forms. Looked almost like Tom Tuy. Lot's of Chin Na... definitely a fun look'n hybrid.

My opinion-

aside from the high kicks (that have a snap to them similiar to TKD) - everything else can be Taiwanese (Bao Ding) Shuai Jiao - Chi na is being used in the execution of throw- which is a part of the art.

(actually even the breaking could Chinese - Qi Gong training )

Quote Originally Posted by mung foo View Post
    As far as a SWAT unit is concerned-

If I was a criminal I would much rather go against the Taiwan SWAT, who spend a good amount of time training in martial arts, than LA County Sheriff's SWAT or FBI's HRT, who spend most of the training on shooting and weapons tactics.

OT:

This is exactly why this forum is so convoluted. Like they only have 1 hour/3 times a week to do all their training or something.

Hint: they have all day.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    OT:

This is exactly why this forum is so convoluted. Like they only have 1 hour/3 times a week to do all their training or something.

Hint: they have all day.
    It's a valid point though. How many hours/day do you think these guys train H2H? Now compare that with SWAT and other similar forces in the states. Even if the discrepency is only 30 minutes, which is HIGHLY unlikely, that is still 2.5 hours/week (5 day work week) more weapon training/tactics and 130 hours/year more weapon training/tactics. Let's take 2 year veterans now. They have 260 hours more weapons training.

That is a rather staggering difference and would speak to efficiency in combat using such methods. This is why the "use the stuff that special forces guys for h2h" line is so ridiculous. It is almost an after thought since if you are weaponless and alone facing somebody with a weapon, you are likely screwed pretty hard at that point.