Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Kung Fu Styles

As far as I know...

Chan Kai Leung does not teach anymore, Chan Sau Chung is retired with maybe a few private students... I do not believe there is a TSPK school anymore there, originally the idea was Chan Kai Leung would run it, and his father only oversee things, but Chan Kai Leung pursued what he studied in college, accounting I believe...

Who can blame him, he just got married and kung fu isn't a great way to pay the bills, especially the way Hong Kong schools are... If they follow the karate way maybe, but they wouldn't like that way...

MKUSA, I will call Chan sifu to see if its ok I give his number to you, I only have his cell, so let me call him 1st...

As far as lineage, real or fake, etc... I don't think anyone should be ashamed of their sifu or school, and I also think you shouldn't hide behind your sifus name or school either... If you are serious about kung fu, be a part of the movement that actually does something... Like fight in an open circuit against other styles... or train people to fight...

Don't be another star trek fan only talkin about nonsense... like old dead chinese masters, what about now? whats goin on now? how about making some stories ourselves?

I just hope all the kung fu peeps will wake up and stop worrying about lineage and forms, blah blah blah... Meantime you have these MMA people hoping to fight us in the cage so they can have another easy win on their way to the top...

Every kung fu school promotes self-defense which is the pc way of saying fighting... So lets all do our part and step up to the plate one way or another, as a fighter. coach, promoter...

So much we all can learn and share with each other...

Joe

2. Sow Choy,
    Thank you!
    I certainly understand Chan Kai Leung's need to put his family first. That is also why I do not teach commercially. I do it out of love for the art.
    My students have commercial schools and I have no problem with that. It just isn't for me right now.
    I think that you raise excellent points. However, I am content to teach people how to defend themselves. I don't think tournament fighting is necessary for that goal. Though as I mentioned in another thread, I am currently in training to start competing again at age 48. I think my students and their students need to be reminded that what we do really works in many different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherDog View Post
    I find it interesting that no one in boxing, wrestling, BJJ, judo, etc minds telling you who their coach was.
    As usual, foot in mouth and ass backwards.

Like you even know whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    A lot of kung fu cats wear their sifu's name like a badge of honor. It seems strange to hide "who" taught you or where you learned something.
    I agree. It's even stranger because MonkeyKingUSA's lineage is posted on the internet already.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu View Post
    I asked Sifu Abel where he learned his monkey. He gave me a smart alec answer "my teacher."
    Abel will never tell you that info.

However, if you must know, most of it came right from bad kung fu movies and the rest is made up BS.

His "lineage" is mostly himself.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 12-04-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    As usual, foot in mouth and ass backwards.

Like you even know whats going on.
    I really don't care what's going on; I just think it's silly.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

LOL @ the last two clowns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    LOL @ the last two clowns!!!
    What possible legitimate reason could someone have to conceal who their sifu was?
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Quote Originally Posted by FatherDog View Post
    What possible legitimate reason could someone have to conceal who their sifu was?
    Funny how many people around here do that.

Maybe because they are mostly self-taught.

I agree.....

....with the guys here that do not share their lineage information. In the past you did not go around bragging as to who your sifu or sigung was.

this could bring about trouble for student,the school, the master.

I think that this is more of an american custom...all fueled by ego.

as long as the person represents the art properly and is not lying or cheating anyone what is the difference??

I am opening my own school this next year.

For the last 3 years I have been studying from very reputable sigungs/ sifus in various kung fu styles to add to my base art which I did for 15 years.

I am not doing a mish mosh of stuff I am teaching whole systems both internal and external.

This is all in addition to my previous years in Japanese arts ( totaling 25 years of experience)

I am not listing any of these masters for various reasons . The art speaks for it's self.

I believe in Taoist practice of anonymity. All this lineage bragging does is fuel the ego .

Cool here is my questions....

Originally Posted by FatherDog

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post

Maybe because they are mostly self-taught.
    what legitimate reason does anyone have to brag about their lineage.??

does it prove anything??

just because you were taught by a legitimate master does not mean that you will be a good martial artist now does it?

I know plenty of guys who are self taught and can kick a lot of @$$.

All you keyboard martial artist put to much emphasis on non intrinsic things and are too caught up in the b.s. GET A CLUE!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    this could bring about trouble for student,the school, the master.
    Or the person who is claiming to study from the master when, in actuality, he has only learned from tapes from said master or completely made up his own stuff.

Ok ...

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Or the person who is claiming to study from the master when, in actuality, he has only learned from tapes from said master or completely made up his own stuff.
    This is an assumption on your part. he never said that he learned from any specific master. as you can see it is a hybrid of other styles.

did you not read the whole post?? I said if they are lying or cheating it is wrong.

if he learned from a video then did he not learn from the master.... indirectly??

what legitimate reason does anyone have to brag about their lineage.??
    does it prove anything??
    We're not talking about bragging. We are talking about answering the question when it is asked. It's not bragging if someone asks you. If anything, it usually means the person is trying to hide the fact that he is making exaggerated claims when he doesn't answer this question.

You are right that studying under someone doesn't necessarily make one good. However, if one is going to claim to have learned a system, they should be able to state under whom and for how long. Waffling around in this respect is very, very suspect. There are many people who claim to have studied styles, when in fact they have only learned from tapes or completely on their own.

When I claim to be a BJJ black belt and somebody wants to know which instructor promoted me to black and how long it took me, I should have no problem answering that. It has nothing to do with bragging.

if he learned from a video then did he not learn from the master.... indirectly??
    Learning from videos is much different from learning in person. If one is making the claim to have studied a system, but learned it from tapes, he should be prepared to state this... otherwise, it is misrepresentation.