Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee: One of a kind martial artists

Bruce Lee: One of a kind martial artists

Bruce is the man!!!

Any guy that can invent a totally new and unique martial art, become the master of Wing Chun and kali, invent cross training, invent MMA, be able to defeat 3 of the most feared fighters ever (Norris, Wallace and Lewis) in the ring, turn Joe Lewis into a champion, credited by everyone including a certain Brazilian family as being the ultimate most feared fighter, become a master thespian and renowned philosopher gets my respect.

Props to you BL, where ever you are!

The Real Original Lucky Louie
    Last edited by rogue; 01-04-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Bruce Lee, like William Shakespeare and Albert Einstein, never existed.

I love Bruce Lee movies, I'm a fan.

However, I wouldn't call him a "Master" of Wing Chun (I believe he studied less than 5 years) or Kali. Also, are you sure he faces Chuck Norris in the ring? I don't believe Bruce Lee ever fought in a sanctioned event.

My feelings on Bruce Lee is that he helped popularize MA in the west, and for that I'm thankful. But Bruce Lee was just the first Van ****, the first Seagal the west seen. I wouldn't put any of them in the top 5 or 10... and if I really took the time, studied tape and footage, not even the top 50. No way.

Pretty much you have the present and most recent past UFC champions. Present and recently past Pride Champions... all of them light years ahead in unarmed combat.

Gene LeBell and folks like him.

Hell, a whole new generation of MMA stylists, including myself, I think would school Bruce Lee. I've seen actual footage of him sparring in tournaments (with lots of gear)...looked like black belt level karete sparring.

No disrespect to the man. I just wouldn't label Stalone a great military warrior or boxer just because he portrayed one on screen. John Wayne could ride horses and own and shoot guns.... he's not getting on the back of a bull in Madison Square Garden.

Don't believe the hype.

Pina

Man you are dillusional, You would have not even touched Bruce, remember the movies are make believe and NOT REAL, also as far as the current MMA Fighters are concerned , give, anyone the best anabolic steroids and a dose of hard headedness and you can fight in those things. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

No one ever schooled Bruce. He was a champion of many roof top fights, he created one of the greatest ring champions that will ever walk the earth, he fought, defeated and made students of all the greatest legendary fighters. If Bruce was alive today he would have progressed way past what the so called "ultimate" fighters are doing and still be making students of them. Not a master of Kali? Then how come all of the leading Kali men are students of Bruce. All of them. And all the current Wing Chun masters know who was the real deal when it came to that art, and it was Bruce Lee.

When it comes to Bruce Lee, there just isn't any hype.

The Real Original Lucky Louie
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

theres no doubt that bruce lee would get beaten today by an MMA, but definitely not by ray (please stop being full of yourself) bruce lee would get beaten due to age factor and with the help special vitamins. then again if he was still alive he would continue training as he did and he was known to be a cardio freak and trained for hours.

he was the forefather of MMA, he started like most fighters started with traditional chinese martial arts, but realized that you need more than just one style to be well rounded, he began to study western boxing, judo, catch wrestling, TKD, jujitsu, and silat. this sounds familiar, wait this is the foundation for MMA.

alot of fighters have given credit to bruce lee for getting them into martial arts. one thats funny alot of "so-called" martial artist come down on CMA because they say it isnt effective, yet they came from a CMA background, isnt martial arts the proccess of learning, evolving and becoming better?

here is bruce lee's on his challenge match against wong jack man.

"Bruce Lee's description of the fight was that Wong Jack Man challenged him to a duel over his decision to teach non-Chinese students. Bruce Lee accepted the challenge. Many who witnessed the fight believed Lee had won the duel, however Wong disputes this. Lee later took the view that the fight took "too long" because traditional martial arts techniques were too rigid and formalistic to be practical in scenarios of chaotic street fighting. Perhaps as a result of this fight, he decided to develop a system with an emphasis on practicality, flexibilty, speed, and efficiency."
    Last edited by hjt; 01-05-2007 at 07:47 AM.

some sighted Bruce was talking to Elvis on the strip in vegas.

I said well that probably some other people dressed and impersonated them.

One dressed in yellow as Uma in "kyll bill" and the other dressed in white with some sparkles.

Thank God

For two things . . .

1. This isn't in the JKD section

2. The "BL" is not a reference to bloominglotus

Also, if you recall, The Norris' loss to Bruce Lee is a product of the single greatest feat in special effects history.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I've seen actual fight footage -- not sparring, not movies ... Bruce Lee "fighting" in a karate type tournament.

I'm not thinking about the posters, the flying kicks, the screams... I'm thinking about a smaller, lighter Chinese man with the skills I saw. I feel in my heart I could beat that man that I saw.

I don't care either way. If people want to make more of Bruce Lee that's great.

I would not want to study Kali under someone who claimed Bruce Lee as their only instructor in the art. Who taught Kali to Bruce Lee and for how many years?

If anything, I'd study under Bruce Lee's student, Isontano, who appears to have put more time into that art.

Also, just because you say it's true does not make it true. When and where did Bruce Lee fight in a sanctioned ring event?

And if you seriously believe the kick boxing of the 70s and 80s (I was studying Issin-Ryu at the time and my sensei's son was a pro kick boxer, saw Suger Foot Wallace fight on the same car at the Garden) is at the same level of MMA today there's nothing really to discuss.

Who has Bruce Lee seriously fought (not sparred, taught or played with for publicity) and beat? I know he practically got ran out of NYC by a crew of Southern Mantis folks.

I'm not full of myself ... and I also have a brain and don't get caught up in media and self promotion. Bruce Lee was an actor first and foremost. If he was a fighter, he'd be like a Chuck Lidell.... a fighting champion who makes movies.

Can you please answer the bolded questions of who trained Bruce in Kali and for how long to make him a master in that art... also, when and where did he fight in a sanctioned ring event making him one of the best ring fighters of all time.... and outside of the ring, who of note did he really fight ... and beat?

I'm open to have my mind changed if evidence can be presented.

Serious question,

Didn't Gene LeBell school Bruce Lee? It is not talked about much; yet, people will carol over the match with Wong Jack Man.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    give, anyone the best anabolic steroids and a dose of hard headedness and you can fight in those things. KC
    1) Do you really think it's that easy? DO you think if you juiced you would miraculously have the skills, balls and ability to beat Chuck Lidell?

2) What you say is an insult to everyone who trains hard to develop their structure, mechanics and skill.

I used to think that way when I was doing form and studying Hung Gar. Than I thought would would it take for me to fight at that level, even amatuer. It wasn't steroids. It was training harder and more realisticly.

Quote Originally Posted by hjt View Post
    he was the forefather of MMA."
    This is a nice thing to say, and perhaps someone who doesn't know how to think, research and find answers for themself (perhaps this describes you, I don't know) would buy that and then repeat it as gospel over the internet and at tea parties.

Have you ever heard of the chariot, the bow-n-arrow... these are two ancient weapons developed in Eygpt a loooong time ago. Guess what? The Romans thought it was a good idea and incorporated it.

I guess you don't even know your own CMA history... how many styles are a mix and match of multiple styles.

Use your brain before you make a general, assanine coment. Also, before you start attacking me personally about a thread that has nothing to do with me... consider if you're willing to get your ass kicked by me. I'm in NYC for 4 more weeks and occasionally you like to jab at me.

We met once at a Throwdown. You've seen my handwork and I'm sure there's no doubt in either of our minds of what the outcome would be like. So why not be nice?

Bruce Lee fought in high school in the ring. He fought "street fights" mostly as a thug in Hong Kong I dont think they were sanctioned?? Also some of the baddest dudes do not fight in these so called MMA tourneys. Also the fights of the 70,80 's had different rules but there are those of that time that would have given Liddel and others a good run for their money. I fought during that time and if the MMA were going on at that time I would have done it. Those guys are filled with enhancing "vitamins" and other things that enhance their performance I am sure much like Lance Armstrong but at that level it is hard to detect. To compare the MMA fighters with Kick Boxers of that era is ludicrous apples and oranges. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    This is a nice thing to say, and perhaps someone who doesn't know how to think, research and find answers for themself (perhaps this describes you, I don't know) would buy that and then repeat it as gospel over the internet and at tea parties.

Have you ever heard of the chariot, the bow-n-arrow... these are two ancient weapons developed in Eygpt a loooong time ago. Guess what? The Romans thought it was a good idea and incorporated it.

I guess you don't even know your own CMA history... how many styles are a mix and match of multiple styles.

Use your brain before you make a general, assanine coment. Also, before you start attacking me personally about a thread that has nothing to do with me... consider if you're willing to get your ass kicked by me. I'm in NYC for 4 more weeks and occasionally you like to jab at me.

We met once at a Throwdown. You've seen my handwork and I'm sure there's no doubt in either of our minds of what the outcome would be like. So why not be nice?
    ray

throwdown? i m actually getting pretty annoyed with you calling me and others out when they criticise or challenge you on the forum. its show your intelligence level.

i seen your hand work and i have nothing to say regarding that, but if you wish to continue this matter please PM me, because i dont wish to continue this discussion in this thread nor forum.

hjt

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Serious question,

Didn't Gene LeBell school Bruce Lee? It is not talked about much; yet, people will carol over the match with Wong Jack Man.

mickey
    he did schooled him, but after that bruce started training judo under gene. thats what has been written