Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My dog bit the neighbor girl

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    According to "Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998", by Jeffrey J. Sacks, MD, the Rottwieler has been involved in less fatal attacks on humans than the Dalmation, which is second only to the German Sheperd in number of fatal attacks per year. Interestingly, the American Pit bull came in tenth for that study..

That is not correct. Did you even read that study? That is the exact study that determined that Rotts and Pit-Bulls account for about 60% of all fatal dog attacks.

Your actually using that crappy six year old CDC study??

Look, I have been around the molosser breed for a long time. Olde Bulldogge's, Dogo Argentino's, Bullmastiffs, American Bandogs, Presas, and of course the American Pit Bull Terrier.

The difference certain ignorant people are not seeing is it is not the breed. Never is and never will be when you look at dogs. Its the inner city ghetto rollers and/or low life animal abusers who pick up these lines because of a certain machismo they think the dog grants them.

In my view, no dog even comes close to the american pit bull terrier in terms of raw smarts, not even on the same planet in terms of loyality, its a American dog to the core with a serious history in our culture if you look back into the turn of the century.

Well Being a Pitt Bull Owner myself (American Pitt Terrier) and she is a rescue,BTW, i have to say that in the past i had been very cautious about pitts and had that same ignorant attitude towards dogs that are considered "Aggressive" or "Hostile". When i rescued Maggie(my Pitts name) she was in bad shape. Some low life pieces of sh!t Tried to fight her, i guess, and she wound up getting tore apart, not to mention the abuse that she was most likely put through.The owners left her there at the vet and never came back and never paid her vet bill. she was 4 weeks in a kennel at the vet office in Taos,NM before i knew she existed.
    When i saw her she was pretty much healed and was just scared out of her mind. I took one look at her and it was love at first sight and i adopted her right there,paid the fukheads vet bill and took her home. She was skittish at first and i just allowed Maggie her space and let my pure bred Weimaraner(possum) tend to her and take care of her(which he did a fantastic job of accepting her into my household and making her a part of the pack). She eventually came around and became the sweetest dog on the planet. No aggresive tendencies, no barking no growling or charging after anyone. In fact she still is kind of skittish when around people but not aggresive in the slightest.(that is due to the abuse she suffered as a puppy and a young adolesant, i adopted her when she was just a year old).
    It opened my eyes to the fact that the pitt breed isnt necessarily going to be naturally aggressive(with exception to the pack mentality that ALL dogs have).
    I feel that as long as you are not some low life gangster wanting to turn your pitt into a fighting dog, or some trailer trash that wants some killer to protect your precious junk and crap in your front yard, then i think you can raise a pitt,or any breed in a good way, and they be a loving and decent breed. Boxers are like that, not too smart a breed but great family dogs. ANY Breed can be a great family dog and be good around kids and other animals(cats etc.)

IN the case of Cheif Fox's dog. I would have to say that the responsability goes in part to the girl who just walked over and tried to scootch Rado off his resting spot. That to me is bad manners on the girl's part and is a no no, no matter how old the dog is or how loving the dog may be. Obviously she did not deserve to get bit, and i attribute that to the dog being old(13 yrs old is pretty old for a dog these days, which means cheif fox takes good care of him, kudos to you bro). But still i wouldnt take the attitude of putting the dog down. Not necessary AT ALL.
    Just pay the girl's dr bill because you ARE responsable for your dogs actions. and next time someone comes over and wants to sit on the couch, then i think it should be CHEIF FOX, and not the guest that makes the dog move out of his comfort spot.

Peace, TWS
    PS. Here are the two greatest dogs on the planet,in my eyes. Possum is a pure bred silver streak Weimaraner and Maggie is a Pure bred American Pitt bull terrier(the red kind with the white blaze) Possum is a senior dog now(9yrs) and Maggie is 5 yrs old.
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 01-22-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    IN the case of Cheif Fox's dog. I would have to say that the responsability goes in part to the girl who just walked over and tried to scootch Rado off his resting spot. That to me is bad manners on the girl's part and is a no no, no matter how old the dog is or how loving the dog may be. Obviously she did not deserve to get bit, and i attribute that to the dog being old(13 yrs old is pretty old for a dog these days, which means cheif fox takes good care of him, kudos to you bro). But still i wouldnt take the attitude of putting the dog down. Not necessary AT ALL.
    Just pay the girl's dr bill because you ARE responsable for your dogs actions. and next time someone comes over and wants to sit on the couch, then i think it should be CHEIF FOX, and not the guest that makes the dog move out of his comfort spot.
    From someone who has defended dog-bite cases, prosecuted dog-bite cases and been afraid that they would be sued when their dog bit a kid, I know a bit about this topic. While I agree with TWS, most states have laws making the owner's strictly liable for their dogs when they bite someone if the owner knew or should have known of the dog's aggressive tendencies toward humans (actual aggressiveness--not this "bred aggressiveness" that was discussed) Hence the old saying "Every dog gets one free bite". Some states have excluded the "one bite" rule for certain breeds based upon reputation and these studies that have floated around. Unfortunately, it sounds as if Chief Fox knew the dog had a propensity to be aggressive toward people which could subject him to liability if they sue. There's also a question as to whether a child's actions can legally be compared to the actions of the owner of a dog with aggressive propensities. It doesn't sound bad as the bite wasn't very serious, but the real risk is that some states and/or local governments can put a dog down for any kind of bite, so you'll want to look into what the local laws say about dog bites. There are plenty of websites that do a good job summarizing the different dog-bite laws of different states. I've found that www.dogbitelaw.com was fairly accurate in its summary of my state's law, although its analysis was a bit simplistic on some of the finer points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    TWS-who you kiddin? That dog is a KILLER-out an out! Look at those eyes, staring down at you, sensing, no-smelling the fear that wells up inside. A predatory gaze that sends chills down my spine every time I even look at that bundle of fluff, um, I mean demonic beast!
    great pic

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Your actually using that crappy six year old CDC study??

Oh, how silly of me to refer to actual studies and real data instead of relying on baseless anecdotes about you and your Uncle Earl...

TWS-who you kiddin? That dog is a KILLER-out an out! Look at those eyes, staring down at you, sensing, no-smelling the fear that wells up inside. A predatory gaze that sends chills down my spine every time I even look at that bundle of fluff, um, I mean demonic beast!
    great pic
    LOL!! Yeah she is pretty vicious lookin aint she?

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    geez...

i think it boils down to what I said in the beginning. It's CF's responsibility. He made an error in judgement and luckily no one was seriously injured or died. He needs to totally be aware and think of the worst case scenario and not take any chances in the future.

CF, I sincerely hope you don't put the dog down. You just have to assume full responsibility for all care of it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    How many fatalities were caused by the maltese?

All of this is moot anyway. The Maltese was a breed of known bada$$edness back in the day. It is well documented, if not well known. Certainly during the 1700s they were responsible for more human fatalities than any dog breed.
    Bodhi Richards

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    That is not correct. Did you even read that study? That is the exact study that determined that Rotts and Pit-Bulls account for about 60% of all fatal dog attacks.
    Yes. I did read the study. It's crystal clear. Perhaps you should review it?

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Exactly. Its ridiculous to try and compare being nibbled by a lap dog and the loss of human life. By this logic, the common house cat is far more dangerous than any dog.
    Agreed. However, the other three breeds mentioned are certainly capable of taking human lives, wouldn't you agree? Furthermore, as the dalmation caused more fatalities than the rottwieler or pitbull, dosen't it stand to reason that it's a more dangerous dog? Assuming, of course, that we buy the "dangerous breed" line of reasoning in the first place.
    Bodhi Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Yes. I did read the study. It's crystal clear. Perhaps you should review it?

Well here it is. There are charts and everything.....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Guess what? I got bit by a dog today. A big assed Newfie. His owner, a woman, was standing right there and I was attempting to make friends with him before I had to go on his property. I brought the back of my hand up under his muzzle so he could sniff me and he snapped down on my hand. Didn't break the skin and he immediately let go. He never did warm up to me and did NOT like me being on his property as I fixed his owner's hot tub. Turns out his owner's husband died just a month ago so he's definitely the alpha male on the property.

guess he should be put down, huh?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Guess what? I got bit by a dog today. A big assed Newfie. His owner, a woman, was standing right there and I was attempting to make friends with him before I had to go on his property. I brought the back of my hand up under his muzzle so he could sniff me and he snapped down on my hand. Didn't break the skin and he immediately let go. He never did warm up to me and did NOT like me being on his property as I fixed his owner's hot tub. Turns out his owner's husband died just a month ago so he's definitely the alpha male on the property.

guess he should be put down, huh?
    No, but the owner has a responsibility to keep the animal leashed or crated when strange people are on the property. What if that dog saw you as a real threat? Newfoundlands can do damage, Bro. Betcha dollars to donuts that if he ever bites, he will magically turn into a pit bull.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    No, but the owner has a responsibility to keep the animal leashed or crated when strange people are on the property. What if that dog saw you as a real threat? Newfoundlands can do damage, Bro. Betcha dollars to donuts that if he ever bites, he will magically turn into a pit bull.
    I got bit by a chihuaha once. I think he thought my finger was a chew toy. I was so mad. I should have sued the owner except that it was my uncle.

Obviously you are simply not reading the statistics. There is an enourmous amount of historical evidence that proves beyond any doubt the leathality of the Maltese. There's really no point in arguing it further, since the facts speak for themselves.

http://www.afm.gov.mt/pgmal_light_inf.htm

http://www.wirtartna.org/HIG/RMRM.htm
    Bodhi Richards