Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
Good decision Lbtsang.

Find a qualified Teacher and proceed slooooooowly.
The nerves in our hands also connect to our eyes and heart.( Among other things) So it is very important not to damage your hands.

Also as you seem to know....the Internal Method will permit more dexterity of the fingers and wont make your hand look like Foot.
JD
Well, I'm 55, and 40 years of boxing, street nonsense (I was younger and foolisher ), and early on in my asian martial training (10-15 years ago), trained under some guys who didn't understand joints at all (let alone qi and meridian lines!) I've broken 21 bones in martial arts, and not one of them ever hurts today--except the fingers. And my hands do look kinda like feet. Takes me about 30 minutes to make them work in the morning.

What you need to know has already been said by others here: go slowly (Jimmy H Woo always said, If you want to go fast, slow down); don't hit hard objects with the hard parts of your hands (Muhammed Ali, Joe Frazier, and proabably a lot more than we know of the greatest boxers had arthritis in their hands in their 20s, while still fighting; wrapping and gloves won't prevent this over time); I teach my students to hit hard with soft (e.g., use palm heel or knife hand, which are padded, to the face) and soft with hard (use fist to groin, inner thigh, neck or throat [that's potentially lethal, tho, so only for extreme emergencies]).

Anyway, just don't want you to get shephered down the wrong path as I did. I can work through it, but why do that to yourself when you'll be a better fighter with more flexible hands?