Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song Dynasty portrait of Gen. Yue Fei

Song Dynasty portrait of Gen. Yue Fei

Li Songnian (劉松年) (1174-1224) painted a picture called the "Four Generals of Zhongxing" (中兴四将) during the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279). General Yue Fei, the supposed progenitor of eagle claw, xingyi, and chuojiao, is among these four generals. History professor He Zongli of Zhejiang University says Yue was more of a scholarly general with a shorter stature and chubbier build than the statue of him currently displayed in his tomb in Hangzhou, which portrays him as tall and skinny.

Shen Lixin, an official with the Yue Fei Temple Administration, holds the portrait of Yue Fei from the “Four Generals of Zhongxing” to be the most accurate likeness of the general in existence.

Here is where I found the info:

http://zjxz.gov.cn/gb/node2/node1386...ai2978830.html

And here is a picture of the “Four Generals of Zhongxing”. Yue fei is the second person from the left (the chubby guy):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ls_of_Song.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist;737060[i
    He Zongli[/i] of Zhejiang University says Yue was more of a scholarly general with a shorter stature and chubbier build than the statue of him currently displayed in his tomb in Hangzhou, which portrays him as tall and skinny.

And here is a picture of the “Four Generals of Zhongxing”. Yue fei is the second person from the left (the chubby guy):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ls_of_Song.jpg
    Okay ... looks to be almost the same height as the taller generals and a little heavier. Your point is ... ???

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    Okay ... looks to be almost the same height as the taller generals and a little heavier. Your point is ... ???
    What the hell is your problem? My point is that I wanted to share a portrait with those who might practice a style associated with him. The portrait of him is so unlike everything I’ve ever seen before. I think the romance of his legendary figure has definitely overshadowed what he was really like. The statue of him in his Tomb shows him as a tall, skinny man. I didn’t personally say he was short and fat; I just paraphrased what a Chinese historian said.

Apparently the paint on the statue in his Hangzhou tomb is starting to chip and peal. Some people are calling for a new statue to be made in his historical likeness. A lot more people are fighting this because they only care about the romance of his character. Still, others are calling for minor changes to his clothing, which are decorated with flowers, a trait of the Ming Dynasty. They believe he should be wearing Song style clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    What the hell is your problem? My point is that I wanted to share a portrait with those who might practice a style associated with him. The portrait of him is so unlike everything I’ve ever seen before. I think the romance of his legendary figure has definitely overshadowed what he was really like. The statue of him in his Tomb shows him as a tall, skinny man. I didn’t personally say he was short and fat; I just paraphrased what a Chinese historian said.

Apparently the paint on the statue in his Hangzhou tomb is starting to chip and peal. Some people are calling for a new statue to be made in his historical likeness. A lot more people are fighting this because they only care about the romance of his character. Still, others are calling for minor changes to his clothing, which are decorated with flowers, a trait of the Ming Dynasty. They believe he should be wearing Song style clothing.
    nice find ghost. im sure ngok fei would like this too. i drove by the tomb one day, i should have went in but i didnt have time while i was in hangzhou. hopefully if i go back this winter i will be able to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

What the hell is your problem? My point is that I wanted to share a portrait with those who might practice a style associated with him.
    Touchy ... just asking what you were getting at. Usually when people post stuff like this they have some agenda.

I counted eight.

Quote Originally Posted by syn View Post
    I counted eight.
    Eight what?

I counted eight.
    If a Chinese person of high repute says there are 4 Generals in that picture, obviously there are four.

You are obviously supposed to discount the fact that there appear to be 8 people in that painting because the Chinese person of high repute obviously knows more than you do.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 02-04-2007 at 05:55 PM.

I counted eight.
    Oh, I know what you are talking about now. There are eight people in the painting, but there are only four generals. Notice that four of the figures are obviously larger than the other four. The smaller people are attendants and the larger are generals. If you look close, you will see that each of the large generals have their names printed next to them. The smaller attendants do not.

Thanks for that.
    I will add this to my collection.

The four people with bows and quivers are the assistants, I forget the proper name.
    This is an excellent picture and tells us what they wore when out on excursions.
    Radicaly different from the MA clothes we see people wear in Kung Fu schools and even MA movies of this time period.

Kevin

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/
    Last edited by K.Brazier; 02-04-2007 at 06:29 PM.

BTW, for a romantic version of Yue Fei I recomend the Qing dynasty novel called GENERAL YUE FEI
    translated by T.L. Yang

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by K.Brazier View Post
    BTW, for a romantic version of Yue Fei I recomend the Qing dynasty novel called GENERAL YUE FEI
    translated by T.L. Yang

Kevin

Thanks. I've got my own copy of it. You should read the "Yue Fei Biography" which was compiled in 1345 during the Yuan Dynasty. CLICK HERE to read it. (Chinese only)

I've chatted with T.L. Yang on the phone a couple of times. I contacted him via his publisher during my course of research on Zhou Tong, Yue Fei's archery teacher. Sir Yang is a very nice person.

Starting from the left, the person order in the "Four Generals of Zhongxing" painting goes: attendant, Yue Fei (岳飛), attendant, Zhang Jun (張浚), Han Shizhong (韓世忠), attendant, Liu Guangshi (劉光世), and attendant. Zhang Jun, Han Shizhong, and Liu Guangshi were three of the four generals who stopped the state officials Miao Fu (苗傅) and Liu Zhengyan (劉正彥) from usurping the throne from Song Emperor Gaozong in 1129 (if I remember correctly).
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 02-05-2007 at 04:11 AM. Reason: messed up person order

Greetings,

Their dress and arm positions suggest that it was winter when the painting was made.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Their dress and arm positions suggest that it was winter when the painting was made.

mickey
    The painting was made at least 50 years after Yue Fei's death. Liu Songnian was born in 1174. But he could have created Yue Fei's portrait from prior works or possibly descriptions of the General from diaries or something like that.

great find! I did not know he was falsely accused. That sucks.... Especially dying in vain...knowing you were innocent.

More stories?///...