Thread: Can we say beyond good luck??

Can we say beyond good luck??

I don't buy it, unless she was shot with a 22...even then, I say broken finger at least.

a ring is too small, and light compared to the bullet moving at high speed.

Why would they make it up??

It's just math man, a insane small percentage but still existing, odder crap than that has been recorded.

Think about it, a soft gold ring is going to deflect a heavier lead bullet traveling at a high rate of speed?

I don't buy it. If anything, it would just push the ring through as it took her finger off.

It was likely just a glance against the ring. The perp was a **** poor shot, and given that he was about to shoot an obvious pregnant woman, either consciously or sub-consciously did not really intend to shoot and kill her. Otherwise, I agree with RD. There is little reason to beleive that a gold ring of ANY hardness would logically deflect a bullet without some collateral damage occurring. (sp?).

well, the article does say wedding band.

doesnt exactly say gold, though we would assume thats what the ring was made of.

maybe shes super poor and wears a bearing casing? maybe shes punk rock

steel baby steel.

otherwise if not a band i would suggest diamond...but ill stick with punk rock
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Think about it, a soft gold ring is going to deflect a heavier lead bullet traveling at a high rate of speed?

I don't buy it. If anything, it would just push the ring through as it took her finger off.
    Bullets ricochet off of water.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

Quote Originally Posted by Sang Feng Fan View Post
    touche'

given the angle, bullets can deflect off of many things.
    Last edited by PangQuan; 05-03-2007 at 11:08 AM.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Reply]
    A body of water has FAR greater mass than a bullet. Use a smaller body of water, like an 8 OZ glass and lets see it ricohet then.

Even with a full body of water, like a swimming pool, you have to hit it on a pretty good angle to make it bounce. It's like skipping rocks.

If the bullet grazed her finger and she was barely harmed with the ring on, she would have been barely harmed without it too. A ring just does not have enough mass to make any difference here,

Reply]
    A body of water has FAR greater mass than a bullet. Use a smaller body of water, like an 8 OZ glass and lets see it ricohet then.

Even with a full body of water, like a swimming pool, you have to hit it on a pretty good angle to make it bounce. It's like skipping rocks.

If the bullet grazed her finger and she was barely harmed with the ring on, she would have been barely harmed without it too. A ring just does not have enough mass to make any difference here,
    i think this is more the case.

it was a grazing, it just probably happened to graze the ring. no real deflection other than maybe saving her finger some damage.

it did say she was grazed and injured by a second bullet.

i would still like to stand my ground on the punk rock issue though!
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Beat me to it.

I have a fair understanding of basic ballistics but ballistics is not really the case here. It's just about the very odd stroke of calculation that allowed something like this to happen.

Bullets bounce off many things, its far fetched to catch that roll of the dice but its not in the realm of one hundred percent unbelievable.

Dudes, she had a weak electromagnetic force field around her. It was weak, but enough to keep from making much damage.

It happens. There was a story about 6 months back where a lady got shot, and the bullet hit the underwire in her bra and got deflected.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Reply]

I don't recall the artical saying her hand wan't harmed, only that the bullet riccoched off her ring, saving her life. I bet they had to cut the ring off, but that happens to alot of pregnant women anyway. Gotta love water retention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it